Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
blueinsa said:
Summerbuzz said:
I have to laugh when Blueinsa says 'if he doesn't get us top four'. TOP FUCKING FOUR? You thought the last guy deserved shooting for failing to challenge for the league, we spend 100m, and the new target is... top 4. Just... no.

I say it because if he qualifies us from the group stages of the CL and at least qualifies us again via a top 4 spot he will keep his job. I get the feeling he is very much a man keeping a seat warm and he is not a long term appointee anyway and because of this, we wont be in such a hurry to get rid until the new man is ready to take over.

Would i be happy with that? No I wouldn't be fucking happy and would be happy for him to get the boot for underachieving just as i was with Bob.

Hope that clarifies my stance for you.

Yeah but no :P

I'd be astonished, even if he got us to the semi's, if fourth was acceptable. Third is massively better than fourth because you can't do your summer business on the basis of money that you might win if you progress through your play off. Third has to be absolute fucking rock bottom. Anyway. they won't settle for that. We just have too many good players. Even our second eleven, if you removed the pressure of all other competitions, should finish third at the least.

And... gawd alive Bob was only keeping the seat warm for Mou, now this guy is keeping the seat warm for the invisible man... One day, hopefully, one day, we will get a proper manager. Then, and only then, can we let the real arguments and bickering begin!

Summerbuzz said:
Well, Cavani went to PSG, Falcao and plenty of others went to Monaco. Who knows why indeed. I will say that Real had no problem recruiting world stars during long periods of inadequate CL performance. Why? Money, and prestige. I think. I've hinted before that I think money and prestige is doable for us - and hope that the other stuff will come out of that. I think doing it the other way round is going to be attrition - it won't save us money (look at this summer) and it will drive us fans insane much as Wenger and Benitez drove their fans potty.

I agree with your targets. I just wish they were different. The league and a huge dollop of prestige is there for the taking this year. But then again, the Derby is this weekend and is more valuable to our league challenge than Stoke away was.

And I can see, an away win tonight sets us up beautifully in the group. Our progression depends massively on beating the weaker teams, because against the top teams, it's anybody's guess what will happen. an early win would mean we only needed to beat the two weaker teams at home and we'd have 9 points. A good result would also give much needed belief to the players in their ability in this competition.

But I disagree that Pelle is nailed on for 2 years. We have no way of knowing what happens from here. Out of the group and title race by the end of January, and the reasons for his appointment lie in pieces.

I have to laugh when Blueinsa says 'if he doesn't get us top four'. TOP FUCKING FOUR? You thought the last guy deserved shooting for failing to challenge for the league, we spend 100m, and the new target is... top 4. Just... no.

In terms of success in the CL ... for the moment that means getting out of the group stage - from there it's a bit of a lottery. My point about PSG/Cavani was that IMO he wouldn't have ended up there had they gone out in the group stages last season. I guess we'll never know and maybe Lavezzi being there would've swung it anyway, but I do believe that success in the CL helps player recruitment because it helps build prestige for a club like ours which maybe doesn't have the cache of Madrid/Barca.

I find the discussions about Pellegrini's job stability to be more than a bit disingenuous if i'm honest. Like you say, we're not a team challenging for the top 4, we're a team challenging for the title. It's only the dumb disingenuous few who are making noises about how "we're going to struggle to finish in the top 4". Yes the league is more competitive, but we are still arguably the best squad in it and certainly have the most fire power/goals in us. I probably disagree with you in that even if I'm wrong (which I'm not!) and we don't challenge for the title - well Pellegrini will get another season regardless. It's just not in the nature of Mansour/Khaldoon/Txiki/Ferran to knee jerk dump a manager because he struggles in his first season. Again, maybe I underestimate their loyalty ... but I don't think so!

St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
blueinsa said:
Is that for Manuel that spade???
Let's speak tonight hey..See if your opinion changes then.

If he fails to qualify us from the group and or fails to grab a top4 spot come May then i will drive him to the airport myself.

Difference between us is that i will base my decision on the season as a whole and not on what happened to the last incumbent and petty squabbles on an internet forum.

He has had 4 games SHB, 4 fucking games!

And I have made my judgement and I will stick to it.

The problem with that is it leaves you with nowhere to go. It's impossible to judge a new manager so early in his reign, especially when he's missing arguably his most vital cog in the engine Kompany, meaning the last 3 games have had a makeshift defence. Unfortunately for us it seems to affect the whole shape of the team when we're without our captain, wherever its a lack of confidence in his replacement or not I don't know, but it happens and has since last year.

The last three games have been unacceptable as far as performances go, I don't think there's any doubt or argument about that, he's also left himself open with some of his team selections with his insistance on a two man midfield being one of the biggest bug bears, or at least Yaya's role in it.

Tonight is a big test, and it's game that could define our season. A comfortable win and we go into the derby confident , a defeat leaves us in a precarious position already, and could carry over to Sunday which we can't afford to lose - a draw, well lets face it, it's gonna be a fucking draw, they always are!!

flb said:
blueinsa said:
Summerbuzz said:

I say it because if he qualifies us from the group stages of the CL and at least qualifies us again via a top 4 spot he will keep his job. I get the feeling he is very much a man keeping a seat warm and he is not a long term appointee anyway and because of this, we wont be in such a hurry to get rid until the new man is ready to take over.

Would i be happy with that? No I wouldn't be fucking happy and would be happy for him to get the boot for underachieving just as i was with Bob.

3 years is a long time in football mate, if its Pep we are talking about, that's a long time to keep a seat warm.

Agreed. That said, he royally fucks up this season and he deserves to get the boot and with that i will have no issue.

The constant going forward though is Ferran and Txiki and that is not going to change no matter how much some may want it to due to them blaming them for Bobs demise.

Ferran is transforming the club off the field and Txiki is the DoF, a position the club has made clear is the future.

First team coaches will come and go but the constants/structures will remain.<br /><br />-- Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:09 am --<br /><br />
Summerbuzz said:
blueinsa said:
Summerbuzz said:

Yeah but no :P

I'd be astonished, even if he got us to the semi's, if fourth was acceptable. Third is massively better than fourth because you can't do your summer business on the basis of money that you might win if you progress through your play off. Third has to be absolute fucking rock bottom. Anyway. they won't settle for that. We just have too many good players. Even our second eleven, if you removed the pressure of all other competitions, should finish third at the least.

And... gawd alive Bob was only keeping the seat warm for Mou, now this guy is keeping the seat warm for the invisible man... One day, hopefully, one day, we will get a proper manager. Then, and only then, can we let the real arguments and bickering begin!

Just answered this.

We dont want or need a manager anymore, we want a first team coach.

Ferran and Txiki are in charge.

SkyBlueUSA said:
Dont forget reaching the knock out stages of the Champions League, seems that's the be all and end all to some.

Just advancing to the KO stages of the CL is not good enough for me. City need to win one of those KO ties. I would be satisfied with a Quarterfinal appearance.

I wouldn't be happy with a quarter final at all, it means fuck all unless you win it-the club appears to be trying to run before they can crawl-the premiership should always be the main target, that maintains you CL football, Ferguson always put the PL at the top of his list, even in there early days before winning the PL became a habit he always put the domestic league at the top.

This season so many teams have strengthened, Tottenham,Arsenal, Liverpool haver all become real contenders for the top 4, there is a real danger we could slip out this year if we don't make it a priority, he needs time to get his system right but playing an under strength side at Stoke for me is unforgiveable.

Pablo1 said:
blueinsa said:
If he fails to qualify us from the group and or fails to grab a top4 spot come May then i will drive him to the airport myself.

Difference between us is that i will base my decision on the season as a whole and not on what happened to the last incumbent and petty squabbles on an internet forum.

He has had 4 games SHB, 4 fucking games!

And I have made my judgement and I will stick to it.

The problem with that is it leaves you with nowhere to go. It's impossible to judge a new manager so early in his reign, especially when he's missing arguably his most vital cog in the engine Kompany, meaning the last 3 games have had a makeshift defence. Unfortunately for us it seems to affect the whole shape of the team when we're without our captain, wherever its a lack of confidence in his replacement or not I don't know, but it happens and has since last year.

The last three games have been unacceptable as far as performances go, I don't think there's any doubt or argument about that, he's also left himself open with some of his team selections with his insistance on a two man midfield being one of the biggest bug bears, or at least Yaya's role in it.

Tonight is a big test, and it's game that could define our season. A comfortable win and we go into the derby confident , a defeat leaves us in a precarious position already, and could carry over to Sunday which we can't afford to lose - a draw, well lets face it, it's gonna be a fucking draw, they always are!!

If I am wrong about my judgement then I will be the first to say it.
All I am saying is I am not confident at all at present.
I am usually confident about city when they play but I have a bad feeling about tonight.
Plzen will be fired up big time. Will we?

blueinsa said:
We dont want or need a manager anymore, we want a first team coach.

Ferran and Txiki are in charge.

Whatever the semantics of manager/coach etc ... the reality is that across Europe it is accepted that the overwhelmingly vast majority of managers have a cycle of 3/5 years at whatever club they're at. The English obsession with having one man and pledging allegiance to him indefinitely is ... well it's just and English obsession. Mancini had 3 and half years, Pellegrini will have IMO somewhere around that, and so will the next guy, and the guy after.

flb said:
SkyBlueUSA said:
Dont forget reaching the knock out stages of the Champions League, seems that's the be all and end all to some.

Just advancing to the KO stages of the CL is not good enough for me. City need to win one of those KO ties. I would be satisfied with a Quarterfinal appearance.

I wouldn't be happy with a quarter final at all, it means fuck all unless you win it-the club appears to be trying to run before they can crawl-the premiership should always be the main target, that maintains you CL football, Ferguson always put the PL at the top of his list, even in there early days before winning the PL became a habit he always put the domestic league at the top.

This season so many teams have strengthened, Tottenham,Arsenal, Liverpool haver all become real contenders for the top 4, there is a real danger we could slip out this year if we don't make it a priority, he needs time to get his system right but playing an under strength side at Stoke for me is unforgiveable.

All it means is an extra 20 million in the coffers IMO....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.