Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Clueless manager

Norman kneejerk said:
A lot of fair questions here and I'm kindda worried too at some of these things.

A question I would have is when Sunderland were hanging on with all the team defending why we only had about 2-3 men in the box and the rest outside, just statistically not enough to get through against 8 or 9. I have noticed when the reds chase a game near fergie time they will have 3 along the 6 yard box, 2 behind and 1 near the edge of the box to get after the cross coming in and often scramble one in.

was a bit strange MP said after cant understand how we didn't score but we were so out numbered in the box and instead just passed it around the edge.

Another worrying trait for me is our lack of any aptitude at corners. Statistically we have got to be the worst in the country. Out of 14 yesterday I think only 2 beat the front post area and that was because Kolarov knocked it nigh on 20 yards too long. Another question is why oh why do we always seem to take outswinging corners?

BLUEMATT23 said:
The hierarchy have made a serious
error of judgment in letting this clown
take over.
We have gone backwards and Pellers
is staring Into the proverbial abyss.
If they had an ounce of decency they
should get rid by Christmas and crawl on their hands and knees and get Bobby back.

I'm absolutely seething that we are 8th and out of the title race In November.

ric would need a bit of extra server bandwith if that happened.

I don't think Pelli is the man for the job but prgress in the CL will keep him in a job until the close season. I doubt he'll be in charge come August,

kippax81 said:
Norman kneejerk said:
A lot of fair questions here and I'm kindda worried too at some of these things.

A question I would have is when Sunderland were hanging on with all the team defending why we only had about 2-3 men in the box and the rest outside, just statistically not enough to get through against 8 or 9. I have noticed when the reds chase a game near fergie time they will have 3 along the 6 yard box, 2 behind and 1 near the edge of the box to get after the cross coming in and often scramble one in.

was a bit strange MP said after cant understand how we didn't score but we were so out numbered in the box and instead just passed it around the edge.

Another worrying trait for me is our lack of any aptitude at corners. Statistically we have got to be the worst in the country. Out of 14 yesterday I think only 2 beat the front post area and that was because Kolarov knocked it nigh on 20 yards too long. Another question is why oh why do we always seem to take outswinging corners?

Where are thease statistics?

robbieh said:
But that is not the point. We have the best squad. Everyone from Pellegrini to Mourinho says so and I happen to agree with them. So scarping in to the CL is not the objective.

What worries me is that we have had a very easy start to the season. The next 7 games are anything but. We really do need to get it together now. Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool at home is a huge test. Southampton, WBA away are not easy. If we don't navigate this period very carefully we and the manager will be on the rocks.
It is certainly my point that many toys are being thrown out of prams. That has no bearing on the value of other points i.e. current performances aren't good enough.

Ducado said:
kippax81 said:
Norman kneejerk said:

Where are thease statistics?
I'm not sure on his statistics statement but he's right that our corners are terrible. It wasn't just yesterday, we've been putting wasteful corners in all season. It's something myself and those who I sit around talk about every week.

Cheesy said:
BillyShears said:
Cheesy said:
Fwiw, I too thought it was time Mancini went (though not because I thought he was a bad manager) and I too think we've made a huge error in appointing Pellegrini.

If it was a huge error who do you think they should've appointed? (genuine question btw, i'm not trying to start an argument!)

Genuine answer... it's a difficult one because it's now clear that any of the ones I'd have really wanted weren't really available. Mourinho, Klopp, Pep, all would have been fantastic.

At the risk of being battered on here, & with none of those available I'd have preferred us to go for Rafa :-O

Rafa would have been an excellent choice for us.
However he is far from being 'holistic' so he would
never stand a chance with our current management team.

Cheesy said:
At the risk of being battered on here, & with none of those available I'd have preferred us to go for Rafa :-O

Now let me preface this by saying that I rate Rafa very highly, and have done since long before the football hipsters cottoned on to how good a coach he was. The problem with him getting the City job, and it's a wider and more relevant discussion than most people realise, is what did the owners want?

Broadly speaking when you look across the top coaches in Europe you have two kinds ... you have those who don't believe in playing percentages and play every game from minute one to minute 90 in pretty much the same attacking way (Pep, Klopp, Pellegrini), and you have those who are more pragmatic for want of a better word (Benitez, Mancini, Mourinho).

Strikes me that the owners made a conscious decision to employ Txiki and Ferran which means that they wanted a certain attacking philosophy. This obviously has meant a change in emphasis from when Mancini was in charge and yes it's meant we are more open. But what can you do when it's the choice the owners made? If they wanted that kind of coach, Pellegrini was the best available on the market this summer. Klopp has all but said City tried to get him. Pep was already in Munich. When you look at who the rags ended up with, who PSG ended up with, I'm very happy we got Pellegrini. But then I rate the guy and believe he'll be a success.

Cheesy said:
BillyShears said:
Cheesy said:
Fwiw, I too thought it was time Mancini went (though not because I thought he was a bad manager) and I too think we've made a huge error in appointing Pellegrini.

If it was a huge error who do you think they should've appointed? (genuine question btw, i'm not trying to start an argument!)

Genuine answer... it's a difficult one because it's now clear that any of the ones I'd have really wanted weren't really available. Mourinho, Klopp, Pep, all would have been fantastic.

Without wanting to rehash the old debate, I think a young, energetic progressive Manager (Laudrup, De Boer) could have worked. I am also sure Rafa would have succeeded (but not with the regime in place).

I think Southampton have shown the way. Their young Manager has been a fantastic success so far.

kippax81 said:
Norman kneejerk said:

Agree about our total ineptitude at corners though would guess Liverpool are statistically worse.

At least we've cut out the short ones (which is good for my hair growth as it means I no longer pull clumps out at the roots at witnessing us waste a valuable set-piece) but really wish we'd mix it up with a few in-swingers too.

We're becoming predictable and poor at the thing we're predictable at. Which is a worrying combination.

Pellegrini really is getting a seriously raw deal from some on here.

I've seen 'clueless', 'clown', 'yes man', that's more character assassination than managerial critique?

A guy who flew home to Chile to attend the funeral of his mother and flew back straight away for a meaningless friendly in the Far East.

I don't think anyone should be any doubt over his commitment to get it right. Question the ability to get it right, sure, but a lot of the comments still seem rooted in resentment rather than rationale?

We are also being let down by long-term offenders that even Mancini could not bring into line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.