Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
toffee balls said:
I have calmed down a bit now and I am looking for green shoots.

The problems on the road are nothing new. If we look at our away record in the premier league this calendar year it reads

P 14 W 5 D 2 L7

That is Kevin Keegan type stat's that is.

It is very unfair (I laid in to the manager also this morning) to blame Pelligrini completely for this .

We can have days when we are not ruthless and we have had more than our fair share so far in 2013.

Losing at Chelsea was a right kick in the teeth as we were starting to put a bit of a run together.

I miss Vincent
It seems every time we are about to get this season going, something happens to derail us. This time it was injuries to Silva, Fernandinho and Nasty after scoring 12 in 2 games.

But we have to stop playing victim. We played against Sunderland with that hang-dog attitude where I never really believed we'd get back into it.

Need to show more aggression from minute 1 and ensure that we are always on the front foot in games.

Re: Clueless manager

Mr HJ said:
dennishasdoneit said:
Originals said:
Kolarov brings nothing to our team? He gets balls into the box and aleast attempts to beat the full back. Our other left back Clichy doesnt even whip a cross in yet Kolarov and his one trick gets slated!

he also came the nearest to scoring for us yesterday, and put a chance on a plate for sergio who headed over when unmarked.a bit harsh to say he offers nothing to the team.
Aren't you forgetting Sergio's great turn and shot in the send half, created out of nothing and one that produced the only meaningful save of the whole match?

i thought about that but to be honest thought he shot wide and forgot it was saved.anyway... splitting hairs, our left back came 2nd nearest to scoring, and provided sergio with an opportunity which he should have buried...so again, i will say its harsh to say he brings nothing to our team-which was my point.

Having read most of what has been posted since Sunday, including the depressing 'inners' and 'outers arguments' ( is this a thread about football or belly buttons?). I have decided, for what it's worth, to voice my tu pennieth worth.
Firstly, I did not agree with Mancini's sacking or the way it was conducted. For the record I didn't agree with the way the Hughes sacking was conducted. Clearly, the verdict is currently out on Pelligrini. As it is with any new manager, especially with one replacing a successful and popular predecessor. 4 defeats in 11 league games is clearly not good enough. However, is sacking the manager the answer?
In order to truly assess Pelligrini's performance all factors, obstacles, problems, need to be considered. Firstly, the injuries that we have had to deal with have severely affected the team's performance and hampered the new style Pelligrini wishes to introduce. According to Sky we have already had to use seven different defensive partnerships this season. Please tell me what team wouldn't struggle. In addition, most of the injuries have been to players that are vitally important to our team, Kompany, Silva, Ferandiniho, Nastastic, Jovetic. All of the injuries have been in specific area's defence, creative midfield, area's where we do not have strength in depth.
It is true that the points total from our away games as been woeful to say the least, but not all the performances have been bad. It is probably worth pointing that in all the away games we've played we have won 4 out of 9, not great but not as bad as some would suggest. Having said that the points total in the league needs to improve and quickly. It is my opinion that once Pelligrini has a fully fit squad to chose from then results will improve, if not and after a season, then and only then will it be time to assess the manager's position.
Before judging Pelligrini ask yourselves this how many teams/managers would cope with having their defence totally decimated and their 2 playmakers out?

Marvin said:
OB1 said:
Bodicoteblue said:
What stands out for me was the fact that without Silva , we seriously lack any real creativity - we would not have lost yesterday with him in the side.
Of course the down side of this is a certain reliance on one player , and when he's unavailable we look rudderless.
The up side is that best players in all the other sides at the top will also become injured/ suspended at some time - nature has a way of evening things up!
But what an opportunity it would have been yesterday for a fully fit Jovetic.

I still think that we screwed up the Isco transfer - by not making an early offer that couldn't be refused. Not Pelle's fault if we did though but he could do with having another creative player in the mix. And, as teddykgb said, it would help to have one that can dribble, without needing a bib.
Maybe

Silva is a one-off, but even without him we had Yaya and Nasri and that should have been enough. Unfortunately I don't remember one moment of quality from Yaya. Every now and again in a season, you get days when no one performs, and yesterday was one of those days

The top side see themselves through those games unbeaten, and we would have done had the ref done his job.

The very minimum is that City force the opposition to do something special to beat us. Defeats at Villa and Cardiff and Chelsea were all handed to the opposition on a plate.

It's all relative but I do feel a bit sorry for Yaya: it is true that he didn't create anything yesterday but he made a few more passes than he normally does and completed 96% of them. So harsh to say that he didn't demonstrate any quality. Also, given that he is the guy who has made more passes than any other player in the league so far, all the lazy stick that he gets does my head in. The guy plays every game, it is inevitable that he will need to pace himself at times: he's not the Duracell Bunny.

toffee balls said:
I have calmed down a bit now and I am looking for green shoots.

The problems on the road are nothing new. If we look at our away record in the premier league this calendar year it reads

P 14 W 5 D 2 L7

That is Kevin Keegan type stat's that is.

It is very unfair (I laid in to the manager also this morning) to blame Pelligrini completely for this .

We can have days when we are not ruthless and we have had more than our fair share so far in 2013.

Losing at Chelsea was a right kick in the teeth as we were starting to put a bit of a run together.

I miss Vincent

Sorry pal the problem maybe not be something new (to the extent that our away record is poorer than home record) but there has been a sharp decline in results.

Last season our record finished 9-6-4, previous season 10-4-5 and the final games under Mancini you have quoted include trips to United, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Southampton a stark contrast to the fixtures we have faced so far.

I said after the first away game there is an issue with the players away from home that I do agree with, however the performances have been poor. It seems to get some merit on this forum that we were better than Sunderland yesterday as if this excuses the result, however that is the least I would expect given the personnel on the pitch and the ambitions of the two clubs. What people seem to forget is performances, as well as creating chances and controlling possession include being organised, defending set pieces, areas of the game we have gone further backwards.

I still think we can win the league as we have the players to do so. But we need the manager to pick the right players, find a system to suit the available players and yes if Micah Richards is ambling across the halfway line tell him in know uncertain terms where he should be positioned on the pitch.

Marvin said:
OB1 said:
Bodicoteblue said:
What stands out for me was the fact that without Silva , we seriously lack any real creativity - we would not have lost yesterday with him in the side.
Of course the down side of this is a certain reliance on one player , and when he's unavailable we look rudderless.
The up side is that best players in all the other sides at the top will also become injured/ suspended at some time - nature has a way of evening things up!
But what an opportunity it would have been yesterday for a fully fit Jovetic.

I still think that we screwed up the Isco transfer - by not making an early offer that couldn't be refused. Not Pelle's fault if we did though but he could do with having another creative player in the mix. And, as teddykgb said, it would help to have one that can dribble, without needing a bib.
Maybe

Silva is a one-off, but even without him we had Yaya and Nasri and that should have been enough. Unfortunately I don't remember one moment of quality from Yaya. Every now and again in a season, you get days when no one performs, and yesterday was one of those days

The top side see themselves through those games unbeaten, and we would have done had the ref done his job.

The very minimum is that City force the opposition to do something special to beat us. Defeats at Villa and Cardiff and Chelsea were all handed to the opposition on a plate.

This links in I feel with something abundant in the best teams and completely missing from ours, and I loath to use the word, gamesmanship. Given the incident with Larsson, the Milner foul, etc, we seem almost happy to roll over and take it. As if our moral superiority will win out in the end, karma will prevail, and the league will be handed to us for not being horrible nasty cunts.

Unfortunately, the league is regularly handed to horrible nasty cunts, far more often than it's handed to nice honest chaps. Maybe we would benefit from a bit of a nasty streak now and then?

MAD4cITy1894 said:
Having read most of what has been posted since Sunday, including the depressing 'inners' and 'outers arguments' ( is this a thread about football or belly buttons?). I have decided, for what it's worth, to voice my tu pennieth worth.
Firstly, I did not agree with Mancini's sacking or the way it was conducted. For the record I didn't agree with the way the Hughes sacking was conducted. Clearly, the verdict is currently out on Pelligrini. As it is with any new manager, especially with one replacing a successful and popular predecessor. 4 defeats in 11 league games is clearly not good enough. However, is sacking the manager the answer?
In order to truly assess Pelligrini's performance all factors, obstacles, problems, need to be considered. Firstly, the injuries that we have had to deal with have severely affected the team's performance and hampered the new style Pelligrini wishes to introduce. According to Sky we have already had to use seven different defensive partnerships this season. Please tell me what team wouldn't struggle. In addition, most of the injuries have been to players that are vitally important to our team, Kompany, Silva, Ferandiniho, Nastastic, Jovetic. All of the injuries have been in specific area's defence, creative midfield, area's where we do not have strength in depth.
It is true that the points total from our away games as been woeful to say the least, but not all the performances have been bad. It is probably worth pointing that in all the away games we've played we have won 4 out of 9, not great but not as bad as some would suggest. Having said that the points total in the league needs to improve and quickly. It is my opinion that once Pelligrini has a fully fit squad to chose from then results will improve, if not and after a season, then and only then will it be time to assess the manager's position.
Before judging Pelligrini ask yourselves this how many teams/managers would cope with having their defence totally decimated and their 2 playmakers out?

Anybody who consistently plays Kolorov is asking for trouble, as is playing Garcia

He got away with Garcia v Chelsea because Fernandinho was wiping his arse, he looked like bursting into tears v Sunderland because he couldn't handle the physical.

So far he is underestimating the strength of the premiership and that worrys me.

adrianr said:
Marvin said:
OB1 said:
Maybe

This links in I feel with something abundant in the best teams and completely missing from ours, and I loath to use the word, gamesmanship. Given the incident with Larsson, the Milner foul, etc, we seem almost happy to roll over and take it. As if our moral superiority will win out in the end, karma will prevail, and the league will be handed to us for not being horrible nasty *****.

Unfortunately, the league is regularly handed to horrible nasty *****, far more often than it's handed to nice honest chaps. Maybe we would benefit from a bit of a nasty streak now and then?
Garcia was hurt and stayed down but still the ref ignored it. Milner claimed the foul. Ref and linesman ignored it. Pellegrini cold have made an issue of it afterwards to put pressure on the next ref. But that might have sent wrong message to the players. They have to up their own game so that w can take refereeing errors and still respond.

The loss at Sunderland in our title-winning season was hard to take because it was in the very last minute and although it was offside there was nothing we col do to respond, but yesterday we had the whole game to respond but we couldn't

Marvin said:
adrianr said:
Marvin said:
Maybe

This links in I feel with something abundant in the best teams and completely missing from ours, and I loath to use the word, gamesmanship. Given the incident with Larsson, the Milner foul, etc, we seem almost happy to roll over and take it. As if our moral superiority will win out in the end, karma will prevail, and the league will be handed to us for not being horrible nasty *****.

Unfortunately, the league is regularly handed to horrible nasty *****, far more often than it's handed to nice honest chaps. Maybe we would benefit from a bit of a nasty streak now and then?
Garcia was hurt and stayed down but still the ref ignored it. Milner claimed the foul. Ref and linesman ignored it. Pellegrini cold have made an issue of it afterwards to put pressure on the next ref. But that might have sent wrong message to the players. They have to up their own game so that w can take refereeing errors and still respond.

The loss at Sunderland in our title-winning season was hard to take because it was in the very last minute and although it was offside there was nothing we col do to respond, but yesterday we had the whole game to respond but we couldn't

To be honest I thought the foul was 50/50. If a City goal had been disallowed for such a innocuous challenge I would be extremely disappointed. It should not have really come down to that though. A fifty yard pass over the top should not lead to a one on one with a defender. Why did Demichellis not cover behind? did he misjudge the flight of the ball? It is basic organisation in all honesty so you are right Pellegrini should not have complained because it would have let the players off the hook.

Results speak for themselves.

He is not the manager who will take us to the level we want to be,but this is merely my opinion. The away results are that poor it

When I said the fans don't ever sing about him of course I know that this is not a tool that his management can be measured on.It was simply an observation in that he has no empathy with the clubs supporters in my opinion. He is a yes man to the Spaniards.
All this holistic stuff is all very well and good for the future but what about now.What about a little bit of stability on the pitch instead great one week,shocking the next.
As I said previously,if we are going to stick with him then top 3 would be a good season with our away form as it is.
Injuries happen to all teams.I cannot stand the excuses about VK being out,Silva being out.That is what the squad is for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.