Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
flb said:
Good stats mate but Hart isnt even at the level of last season, hes abysmal so far, can it be sorted, yes it can.
I don't know the stats from this season. They could well be worse, but he certainly declined last season from the 11/12 season where he had the best saves to shots ratio in the league - which destroys any idea that Hart has only ever looked good because of the defence in front of him. Nope, he's a fantastic shot stopper at his best. Unfortunately though, it's been a while. He had three excellent years, at Birmingham in 09/10, then with us in 10/11 and 11/12. Since then though, he has been nowhere near that level.

wireblue said:
BillyShears said:
Skashion said:
I don't think we are at all. I think we've generally been poor defensively. I refuse to believe that these errors, are completely unrelated to the change in manager. When players made mistakes before others were there to mop them up. The lower line meant there wasn't as much ground between keeper and central defence. The full-backs staying back more often meant there was usually more players on hand to clean up as well. If Clichy had been available would Nastasic have nodded it back to him? Most likely, and was there any need for Clichy to go forward considering how abysmal his attacking record is? Most likely not. Barry also played further back and by far the best aspect of his game was his ability to read the game and mop up the mistakes. I don't think any of this is an accident. Pellegrini was brought in to be more attacking, and he has been. As a a result we've been more exposed and conceded more. It is not in any way unfathomable. It was in fact predictable. Most of us predicted it, you included:

Unfortunately it is currently affecting results, if/when the time comes when it isn't costing us points, I will shut up about our defence. Until then, it will cost us trophies and that's the name of the game.

Don't agree with most of your assessments on why we're conceding goals, and as I say, I think as a team we have in the last couple of weeks defended as well as we did under Mancini. The individual errors have killed us. My confidence in the manager and 99% of the players after yesterday's performance remains sky high.

I’m sorry but our defence isn’t even close to what it was under mancini. I had put that down to just playing two in midfield but we still looked shaky yesterday.
We will certainly be better off when kompany is back but even so there are issues to be resolved.
If pellegrini is sacrificing some defensive solidity for a more attacking set up then i don’t necessarily have a problem with it but to say our defence is as good as it was under mancini is wrong in my opinion.

I agree that Kompany's return will improve us but it's not the total answer by a long way. VK was in the defence when the footballing powerhouse that is Aston Villa put three past us. The whole defence seems very unstable.

BillyShears said:
waspish said:
We will get no where near 2nd this season or a cup final under this manager

Duly noted.

One of us is going to be right come the end of the season. I'm more than confident it'll be me. You do our manager and our players a huge disservice IMO posting comments about how we'll get nowhere near the top 2.

If am wrong(I won't be) you rip me to bits!

It's funny when you've seen a manager manage your team and win the league you no the standards to win it again Pelegrini hasn't got it but I dearly hope I'm wrong..

ban-mcfc said:
i hope he now gives kolarov a run.

Hope so too. Don't think he was so much dropped yesterday as rotated though - Pellegrini seems to be a fan of Kolarov's, which is good. I think he's our best option at left back currently, but then I wasn't on the 'he's shit' bandwagon last year.

Very good player who gives us great options going forward and at set pieces.

I would play both Clichy and Hart on Wednesday with the intention of playing Pantilimon and Kolarov on Saturday. If Hart has a blinder maybe leave him in the last chance saloon.

BillyShears said:
wireblue said:
I’m sorry but our defence isn’t even close to what it was under mancini. I had put that down to just playing two in midfield but we still looked shaky yesterday.
We will certainly be better off when kompany is back but even so there are issues to be resolved.
If pellegrini is sacrificing some defensive solidity for a more attacking set up then i don’t necessarily have a problem with it but to say our defence is as good as it was under mancini is wrong in my opinion.

Collectively we're defending as well as we did under Mancini. The team shape has been right the last few weeks, we've been compact and not left huge gaping holes in between our midfield and back 4, and we haven't looked anywhere near as vulnerable as we did in the opening weeks of the season. The Bayern result/performance aside, I'd say since Villa away we've been steadily improving both as an attacking force and as a defensive unit.

I’d agree that in the past few games the issue of the gaping hole in front of the back four has got better.
I also agree that our defending from the front has got better.
But our back four is defending poorly. Clichy is having a woeful season, nastasic is having a woeful season, hart is having a woeful season, zabaleta has been “ok” but not as good as last season. Garcia isn’t a centre back so it’s harsh to judge him. But i’ve just named pretty much our entire defence other than kolarov and they are all struggling. We’re conceding more goals than we did under mancini and not keeping clean sheets.
We’re giving away far too many free kicks in dangerous areas and that’s because we’re losing our shape and having to make desperate tackles. Kompany will make a difference but i think it’s dangerous to put it all down to the absence of one player – there are bigger issues for pellegrini to address.

BillyShears said:
waspish said:
We will get no where near 2nd this season or a cup final under this manager

Duly noted.

One of us is going to be right come the end of the season. I'm more than confident it'll be me. You do our manager and our players a huge disservice IMO posting comments about how we'll get nowhere near the top 2.

Unfortunately Billy, some will never be able to let go of Mancini

I thought tactically he was spot on yesterday. I was worried that he might stick with 2 up front which IMO would have gotten us over run in midfield. In the end we had more possession, more shots and more corners, but you just can't legislate as a manager for what happens at the end there.

What does concern me is this new found confidence he seems to have in Javi Garcia. I read somewhere when we was about to appoint Pellegrini that Javi was the first player he sold when he got the Real Madrid job, between then and now he's obviously changed his mind about him but I can't see what he brings to the team. Milner would be a better option in midfield I think.

crystal_mais said:
Unfortunately Billy, some will never be able to let go of Mancini
Because some people are refusing to stick their head in the sand and say everything is ship shape and brilliant when we're seventh in the league and have the eleventh best defence? I still have title ambitions. For us to win the title the defence has to improve. Every single bit of evidence that exists shows is that teams that win titles do not concede at a rate of 1.22 goals per game.

I cant see how pellegrini ,can be blamed for 4 defenders having a loss of form at the same time ,its rank bad luck at the moment,and we will come through it,

ped said:
I cant see how pellegrini ,can be blamed for 4 defenders having a loss of form at the same time ,its rank bad luck at the moment,and we will come through it,

It’s not bad luck. Teams at the bottom of the league always cite “bad luck”. It’s nonsense.
I am by no means against pellegrini but at the same time the buck always stops with the manager. It’s easy to say he can’t do anything about individual errors but – no matter how harsh you may think it is – he will be judged on results and at the moment the results aren’t good enough.

Flip side obviously is the time to actually judge him is at the end of the season. But unless our defence is sorted out, and sorted out immediately, we are in danger of tossing away a title we should be winning at a canter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.