Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point being,your post was somewhat contradictory,not to mention sad, given your 'advice'.

Moving on is good for us all.

I suppose if I'm worried it's because at no point over the previous 3 seasons (after five or more games played) have we been out of the top four. Looking at the record of other premiership winners and runners up over the same period, the same is true - beyond week five none of them dropped out of the top four.

You have to look back to Utd's 08/09 winning campaign to find a team that does - with 8 games played they dropped to 5th, then the next week 6th, despite having by that point won 4 of their previous 5. Looking at the table as it was, this appears to be because they had a game in hand.

Beyond that you have to go back to 02/03 to find any further deviation from the pattern. United bobbed about until going the second half of the season unbeaten, winning 16, drawing 3.

Make no mistake, we have it all to do, and we have to do it now.

FantasyIreland said:
The point being,your post was somewhat contradictory,not to mention sad, given your 'advice'.

Let me know when you look like taking your own advice.

Personally I suspect 'moving on' means don't pick on Pellers or dwell on the fact that out of 9 PL games we have lost 3 of them. I would guarantee that if I had predicted at season start that this would be Pellers PL record on 29th Oct the amount of abuse, scoffing and derision about how little I know about football would have filled a book.

I could talk about Cardiff (again) and how significant the manner of that defeat was (again) but no I'll resist temptation for it be the sin of all fucking sins to be a total smarty pants.

Instead I shall proffer the hand of forgiveness so please all join me...

"Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya"

#holistic

Summerbuzz said:
I suppose if I'm worried it's because at no point over the previous 3 seasons (after five or more games played) have we been out of the top four. Looking at the record of other premiership winners and runners up over the same period, the same is true - beyond week five none of them dropped out of the top four.

You have to look back to Utd's 08/09 winning campaign to find a team that does - with 8 games played they dropped to 5th, then the next week 6th, despite having by that point won 4 of their previous 5. Looking at the table as it was, this appears to be because they had a game in hand.

This season though is patently very different with the changes at City, United, and Chelsea - three clubs who have in the last four years made up three of that top 4. We do have to improve certain individual aspects of our play, but it's a bit much to say we have it all to do when we are six points off the top of the league. Especially when the team at the top have played neither us, nor Chelsea, nor United.

-- Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:33 pm --

BobKowalski said:

Haha. He says before another sneering sarcastic bitter rant about Pellegrini and those mean and nasty people on Bluemoon who believe he's a top manager.

Summerbuzz said:

I think this season will be unlike any other, anyone of the contenders could just a easilly finish 1st or 5th, top teams will drop points against each other as well as against teams like Southampton, Everton, Swansea. Wouldn't be surprised if it's won with points total around 80, GD could be very important.

BobKowalski said:
FantasyIreland said:

Personally I suspect 'moving on' means don't pick on Pellers or dwell on the fact that out of 9 PL games we have lost 3 of them. I would guarantee that if I had predicted at season start that this would be Pellers PL record on 29th Oct the amount of abuse, scoffing and derision about how little I know about football would have filled a book.

I could talk about Cardiff (again) and how significant the manner of that defeat was (again) but no I'll resist temptation for it be the sin of all fucking sins to be a total smarty pants.

Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya"

#holistic

But you don't know anything about football. You cover it by being silly and you've ended up as the pin-up boy the forum know-nowts who believed your raucous laughter last season at the merest notion of a change of manager.

You were telling us all a week or two ago that Pellegrini was being forced to use the same formation week in week out by our Director of Football, too.

I noticed you've quietly dropped that beauty too. ;-)

BillyShears said:
Summerbuzz said:

This season though is patently very different with the changes at City, United, and Chelsea - three clubs who have in the last four years made up three of that top 4.
There was significant upheaval at Chelsea many times during this period. You can see I've gone back to 02-03 in order to find a break to the pattern. That's over a decade. This season seems a bit unusual but there is no doubt whatsoever that by the standards set by all champions and runners up, we have made a distinctly slow start.

We do have to improve certain individual aspects of our play, but it's a bit much to say we have it all to do when we are six points off the top of the league. Especially when the team at the top have played neither us, nor Chelsea, nor United.

I would say, we don't have to improve aspects of our play, we have to improve the results now or hope for a miracle in the second half of the season. I think we can. I'm convinced we must.

Didsbury Dave said:
BobKowalski said:
FantasyIreland said:

Kumbaya my lord, Kumbaya
O Lord Kumbaya"

#holistic

But you don't know anything about football. You cover it by being silly and you've ended up as the pin-up boy the forum know-nowts who believed your raucous laughter last season at the merest notion of a change of manager.

You were telling us all a week or two ago that Pellegrini was being forced to use the same formation week in week out by our Director of Football, too.

I noticed you've quietly dropped that beauty too. ;-)

I notice you have dropped referencing the manager's hair this season, even though Mr P and Mr M have a very similar style? ;)

Summerbuzz said:
I would say, we don't have to improve aspects of our play, we have to improve the results now or hope for a miracle in the second half of the season. I think we can. I'm convinced we must.

I guess i'm just far more sanguine currently. I don't see our league position or our distance from the top of the league as a problem. I realise that the past can be incredibly instructive in terms of predicting the future, but in this instance I don't think it is.

Look at it another way - the lowest two totals posted by championship winning teams going back to 02/03 were 80 and 81 points. To reach that total we now need to maintain 2.2 points per game. 13.2 points for every six games, for every six played we'd need to to better than four wins and a draw. Yes, I'm a bit down on things at the moment, but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.