Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
cleavers said:
BobKowalski said:
As its a serious question I'll give you a serious answer. First off the numbers of goals scored doesn't automatically make it the best game ever. The one game that still gives me goosebumps looking back is the 1-0 against ManU at home with winner takes all. Everything about it still gets me in the gut. The atmosphere, the tension, the game itself. Taggart doing his utmost to stop us and bottling it. The stakes were huge. Bigger than huge. According to Micah the players knew they were going to win. That level of self belief I like. A lot. And them having no shots on target in what was ultimately a showdown for the title. That blows my mind in a way stuffing 6 past a hapless Spurs doesn't. Just everything about that ManU game has lasted for me. I still savour it.

Sunday was great fun. Still haven't stopped laughing because if one team deserves every bit of grief it can get its Spurs. And I don't rate AVB so its even funnier. But it won't last long in the memory banks. There is no right or wrong its just different people react to different games and what they take away from it. The bits too savour were the superbly executed goals. Other bits like parking the bus after going 1-0 up I wasn't too keen on. It didn't look like design. That it worked was down to us defending with men behind the ball and Spurs total lack of creativity and wit beyond the half way line. If a team dominates our midfield and has creativity and fire power it could spell trouble. If it was by design then fair play because a bit of rope-a-dope is football I have seen over the past few years. Even if it was happy accident and we use it in future games where appropriate then that is also fair play to the management team.

My take on Pellers is the constant, nagging doubt over the right mentality. Pellers said we couldn't play any better. No. We could play better. We can always play better. We can always strive to play better. My nagging doubt is that Pellers is a man who can be satisfied with what he has seen. And that will win you nothing.

I agree its a perception and that I have no idea what he is like behind the scenes. But that is my perception and until I see something that changes that perception it will remain. Just as certain games linger with me, the managers or coaches I would prefer to have in charge of City are narcissist obsessives with egos the size of planets who insist on having the training ground grass cut to a certain length and then measure it themselves to make sure its millimetre perfect. Or ban the colour purple. Otherwise known as nut jobs who you wouldn't want to share a lift with - à la Apple employees and Steve Jobs.

That for what its worth is my take on the situation. I like thumping Spurs 6-0. I like thumping Spurs full stop. I liked it when Mario broke their hearts in the 3-2. I liked Sunday. But I still have concerns over mentality in the camp and how that will play in the months to come given it has already in my view being the reason for losing 4 games so far in the PL.
Well thanks for taking the time to reply. I share a few of the concerns, and have aired them earlier in this thread, and they haven't all gone away yet.

You directly criticised the "football like you've never seen" (though I wonder if the quote is correct - no matter), which was I asked.

Football is ultimately about goals (scored and conceded), so scoring as many as we are, for me at least, is important, its exciting, but its more than that, the football leading to those goals is entertaining, its exciting, almost every football fan at work today has asked me if I was there yesterday, and they've all said the same thing, they wish they could watch their team play like that, scoring so many goals.

The goals matter, of yesterdays, what a variety, the first, OK from a bad mistake, but how we pounced on it, Sergio's shot was well saved, but Navas finish was a bit of a wow moment, (not quite as good as Sergio's from a tighter angle - can't remember who it was against now) , but bloody good. Negredo's, whilst officially an own goal came from a good move after a bad mistake again. Sergio's first was the end of a great move, but came on the back of nearly 5 minutes of possession and probing attacks. Negredo's second was pure skill, Sergio's second while a simple finish, was from some great inter play, a surging run from Yaya, who was fouled but stayed on his feet, to make a simple pass whilst still under pressure, and Navas second was from a wonderful long ball from Milner, from the edge of our penalty area.

I also don't understand the "parking the bus" comments, we never did that, we had a period where our passing wasn't great, so they kept getting the ball back, but it wasn't the parking of any bus.
There have been a couple of interesting comments by both Yaya and Carlo Ancelotti which in part respond to some of these comments.

Firstly Yaya commented that the pre game talk by Pellers was inspirational. He alluded to a motivational talk that refocused all the players and drew them closer together. In part I think that this addresses Bob's concerns that Pellers will settle for second best and that he does not have the monumental ego required to ultimately achieve greatness. In my opinion this tells me that Pellers is pushing them and driving them forward. He may do it following a different path to the Mancini's and Mourinho's, but there is definitely more than one way to skin a cat. My view of modern football is that the key ingredient is respect for the Manager. If the players buy into the view of the Manager, then greatness CAN be achieved. Particularly with the outstanding players that are in this City team.

Which brings me to Ancelotti and his comments in the Telegraph both about City and the importance of the quality of football that is played. Firstly he said that he has no doubt that City have the best squad in England. I believe that is fair comment. But the second part of the interview was about the way that football should be played, and it's really about (for a City supporter) having the best season ticket going.

Ancelotti is a believer in playing beautiful football. I think in that respect he shares those values with Pellers. Neither admire those managers that grind out the dour, dull 1-0 victory. I think when Cleavers says that people are envious of him, it's because of the style of play that City is developing (I say developing not developed). It's absolutely like being in dream land at times watching this City team play. I strongly believe they are on the cusp of becoming a fabulous team. It's a matter of ironing out the kinks in the away form.

As Cleavers said football is about scoring goals and entertaining people. My god watch out when City gets Vinnie and Merlin back to full fitness. I reckon they will give the record number of goals for a season the most almighty test.

I can understand where Bob is coming from. He genuinely has doubts about the capacities of Pellers to achieve greatness.

After watching this reinvented City score some of the most amazing goals I have seen in a very long time, I now believe that Pellers and the players will quickly sort out these away problems. I am confident that we will see this in both the West Brom and Southampton games. I have the feeling that these players are on a mission.

OB1 said:
Now ain't that Yaya comment interesting.
Considering that Yaya spent the first half ambling about as though he had Kolo on his shoulders it is interesting. Had he said the half time talk had been inspirational that'd make more sense.

Pablo1 said:
OB1 said:
Considering that Yaya spent the first half ambling about as though he had Kolo on his shoulders it is interesting. Had he said the half time talk had been inspirational that'd make more sense.

What a strange comment.

Sounds almost like you have a problem with Yaya praising the manager's team talk after such a scintillating victory.

Anyone remember the little phase we had in Mancini's 1st season where we trounced wigan Birmingham and burnley by an aggregate score of something like 14-2? very happy times were to follow shortly after and i'm starting to get this nice little feeling that our recent 18-2 aggregate 3 home victories are showing that pelle is really starting to get the team playing the way he wants and we're in for something special.
Might even beat sunderland away next season ;)

BillyShears said:
Pablo1 said:
OB1 said:

What a strange comment.

Sounds almost like you have a problem with Yaya praising the manager's team talk after such a scintillating victory.
Not at all Billy. The strange thing for me is out of all the players to come out and mention how inspirational the talk beforehand was, his performance was probably the least inspiring on the pitch, certainly for 40. Minutes or so.
So no problem, just an observation.

Pablo1 said:
Not at all Billy. The strange thing for me is out of all the players to come out and mention how inspirational the talk beforehand was, his performance was probably the least inspiring on the pitch, certainly for 40. Minutes or so.

His performance may have been the least inspiring to you - but I'll ask once again - why the need for the snide comment? Does it hurt your feelings that one of the players praised something Pellegrini did because frankly, that's how your comment comes off.

Not looking to start a fight btw, just genuinely baffled as to why you'd make a snarky comment like that. Surely if Pellegrini's dishing out inspirational team talks and we're subsequently beating teams 6 - 0 this is something to be happy about. Not something to instantly find fault in.

BillyShears said:
Pablo1 said:

His performance may have been the least inspiring to you - but I'll ask once again - why the need for the snide comment? Does it hurt your feelings that one of the players praised something Pellegrini did because frankly, that's how your comment comes off.

Not looking to start a fight btw, just genuinely baffled as to why you'd make a snarky comment like that. Surely if Pellegrini's dishing out inspirational team talks and we're subsequently beating teams 6 - 0 this is something to be happy about. Not something to instantly find fault in.

He spat the phrase through gritted teeth, Billy. We all know why ;-)

BillyShears said:
Pablo1 said:

His performance may have been the least inspiring to you - but I'll ask once again - why the need for the snide comment? Does it hurt your feeling that one of the players praised something Pellegrini did because frankly, that's how your comment comes off.

It wasn't a sarky comment, I was at the game and watched for most of the first half as Yaya was off the pace and struggling to get a foothold, as we're the rest of the midfield for chunks of the first half. So I found it strange that of all the people to come out and say he gave an inspirational talk beforehand, his performance was probably the least inspired.
If you want to turn that into me not being happy with the end result, or even that my feelings may be hurt after a 6-0 win against a team I dislike immensely then go ahead mate but you're off the mark.
Long may his team talks have the same affect.

BillyShears said:
Pablo1 said:

No it doesn't he's right Yaya was below his standard first 40, second half he was top dollar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.