Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
cleavers said:
BobKowalski said:
What also got on my tits is all the bollocks about 'football like you have never seen before' as if we had been playing Fat Sam's 'punt it long game' prior to Pellers and co showing up. You couple the rhetoric with the reality and ever shifting sands of excuses and people understandably get a bit testy.
Bollocks ?

In 40+ years of watching City live, I've probably seen us score 6 two or three times live, in the last 3 matches I've attended, we've averaged 6, how much better do you think we could be playing ?

Its a serious question, and I know about the away form and all, but we are playing football like I've never seen, just not every game yet, he has only been here 18 games.....

As its a serious question I'll give you a serious answer. First off the numbers of goals scored doesn't automatically make it the best game ever. The one game that still gives me goosebumps looking back is the 1-0 against ManU at home with winner takes all. Everything about it still gets me in the gut. The atmosphere, the tension, the game itself. Taggart doing his utmost to stop us and bottling it. The stakes were huge. Bigger than huge. According to Micah the players knew they were going to win. That level of self belief I like. A lot. And them having no shots on target in what was ultimately a showdown for the title. That blows my mind in a way stuffing 6 past a hapless Spurs doesn't. Just everything about that ManU game has lasted for me. I still savour it.

Sunday was great fun. Still haven't stopped laughing because if one team deserves every bit of grief it can get its Spurs. And I don't rate AVB so its even funnier. But it won't last long in the memory banks. There is no right or wrong its just different people react to different games and what they take away from it. The bits too savour were the superbly executed goals. Other bits like parking the bus after going 1-0 up I wasn't too keen on. It didn't look like design. That it worked was down to us defending with men behind the ball and Spurs total lack of creativity and wit beyond the half way line. If a team dominates our midfield and has creativity and fire power it could spell trouble. If it was by design then fair play because a bit of rope-a-dope is football I have seen over the past few years. Even if it was happy accident and we use it in future games where appropriate then that is also fair play to the management team.

My take on Pellers is the constant, nagging doubt over the right mentality. Pellers said we couldn't play any better. No. We could play better. We can always play better. We can always strive to play better. My nagging doubt is that Pellers is a man who can be satisfied with what he has seen. And that will win you nothing.

I agree its a perception and that I have no idea what he is like behind the scenes. But that is my perception and until I see something that changes that perception it will remain. Just as certain games linger with me, the managers or coaches I would prefer to have in charge of City are narcissist obsessives with egos the size of planets who insist on having the training ground grass cut to a certain length and then measure it themselves to make sure its millimetre perfect. Or ban the colour purple. Otherwise known as nut jobs who you wouldn't want to share a lift with - à la Apple employees and Steve Jobs.

That for what its worth is my take on the situation. I like thumping Spurs 6-0. I like thumping Spurs full stop. I liked it when Mario broke their hearts in the 3-2. I liked Sunday. But I still have concerns over mentality in the camp and how that will play in the months to come given it has already in my view being the reason for losing 4 games so far in the PL.

:-)

Trust the Engineer.

Seriously.

Isn't it about time he had a chant?

Yaya Toure revealed Manchester City's 6-0 win over Tottenham on Sunday was inspired by a Manuel Pellegrini team-talk.

City went into the game on the back of a shock defeat at the hands of Sunderland and he admitted that sparked Pellegrini into some 'unbelievable' words of wisdom.

They worked wonders, with Jesus Navas needing only a matter of seconds to open the scoring in what turned out to be their biggest win ever against Spurs.

"The manager's speech before the game was unbelievable," said Toure.

"It is always difficult when you lose a game like we did at Sunderland. It is hard for the players. Football is so strange.

"But we have come together as a team because we want to regain the Premier League."

That made it 24 goals in only six home games for City - 34 in total - and left Toure thinking about Chelsea's season-long record of 103, but he concedes their away form is going to have to show a marked improvement for that to happen.

"At the moment it is quite difficult but we will try to find a way," he said. "At home we are very prolific. Away is more difficult. Either the referee is not fine or the fans or the opponent try to make it hard.

"That is part of football. That is the Premier League. That is why it is the best league in the world. We are trying to find a good balance because we have to come back. It is very important to start winning away from home.

"It is not just the big teams who are the problem. It is the normal teams. It is always difficult away.

"But we know if we are to win the title again we have to win our away games. That is what the manager is working on."

cleavers said:
Rammy Blue said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
I like the sound of "Ferdy" personally.

rag....
You should be banned for that photo, its disgusting opening a post with that in on here, without some kind of warning !

Second that. I threw up in my mouth a little bit. Someone needs to tell Ferdinand that the role of Daisy Duke was filled by Jessica Simpson in 2005.

BobKowalski said:
As its a serious question I'll give you a serious answer. First off the numbers of goals scored doesn't automatically make it the best game ever. The one game that still gives me goosebumps looking back is the 1-0 against ManU at home with winner takes all. Everything about it still gets me in the gut. The atmosphere, the tension, the game itself. Taggart doing his utmost to stop us and bottling it. The stakes were huge. Bigger than huge. According to Micah the players knew they were going to win. That level of self belief I like. A lot. And them having no shots on target in what was ultimately a showdown for the title. That blows my mind in a way stuffing 6 past a hapless Spurs doesn't. Just everything about that ManU game has lasted for me. I still savour it.

Sunday was great fun. Still haven't stopped laughing because if one team deserves every bit of grief it can get its Spurs. And I don't rate AVB so its even funnier. But it won't last long in the memory banks. There is no right or wrong its just different people react to different games and what they take away from it. The bits too savour were the superbly executed goals. Other bits like parking the bus after going 1-0 up I wasn't too keen on. It didn't look like design. That it worked was down to us defending with men behind the ball and Spurs total lack of creativity and wit beyond the half way line. If a team dominates our midfield and has creativity and fire power it could spell trouble. If it was by design then fair play because a bit of rope-a-dope is football I have seen over the past few years. Even if it was happy accident and we use it in future games where appropriate then that is also fair play to the management team.

My take on Pellers is the constant, nagging doubt over the right mentality. Pellers said we couldn't play any better. No. We could play better. We can always play better. We can always strive to play better. My nagging doubt is that Pellers is a man who can be satisfied with what he has seen. And that will win you nothing.

I agree its a perception and that I have no idea what he is like behind the scenes. But that is my perception and until I see something that changes that perception it will remain. Just as certain games linger with me, the managers or coaches I would prefer to have in charge of City are narcissist obsessives with egos the size of planets who insist on having the training ground grass cut to a certain length and then measure it themselves to make sure its millimetre perfect. Or ban the colour purple. Otherwise known as nut jobs who you wouldn't want to share a lift with - à la Apple employees and Steve Jobs.

That for what its worth is my take on the situation. I like thumping Spurs 6-0. I like thumping Spurs full stop. I liked it when Mario broke their hearts in the 3-2. I liked Sunday. But I still have concerns over mentality in the camp and how that will play in the months to come given it has already in my view being the reason for losing 4 games so far in the PL.
Well thanks for taking the time to reply. I share a few of the concerns, and have aired them earlier in this thread, and they haven't all gone away yet.

You directly criticised the "football like you've never seen" (though I wonder if the quote is correct - no matter), which was I asked.

Football is ultimately about goals (scored and conceded), so scoring as many as we are, for me at least, is important, its exciting, but its more than that, the football leading to those goals is entertaining, its exciting, almost every football fan at work today has asked me if I was there yesterday, and they've all said the same thing, they wish they could watch their team play like that, scoring so many goals.

The goals matter, of yesterdays, what a variety, the first, OK from a bad mistake, but how we pounced on it, Sergio's shot was well saved, but Navas finish was a bit of a wow moment, (not quite as good as Sergio's from a tighter angle - can't remember who it was against now) , but bloody good. Negredo's, whilst officially an own goal came from a good move after a bad mistake again. Sergio's first was the end of a great move, but came on the back of nearly 5 minutes of possession and probing attacks. Negredo's second was pure skill, Sergio's second while a simple finish, was from some great inter play, a surging run from Yaya, who was fouled but stayed on his feet, to make a simple pass whilst still under pressure, and Navas second was from a wonderful long ball from Milner, from the edge of our penalty area.

I also don't understand the "parking the bus" comments, we never did that, we had a period where our passing wasn't great, so they kept getting the ball back, but it wasn't the parking of any bus.

George Hannah said:
gordondaviesmoustache said:
George Hannah said:
Fern, Nando, Dinho and now Ferny! No wonder he hasn't got a song.
I like the sound of "Ferdy" personally.

I remember Ferdy in this Polansky masterpiece

ferdy_zps1f02b682.jpg

tumblr_m1u49jjZj11qfryqfo1_500.gif

taconinja said:
cleavers said:
Didsbury Dave said:
This may well be the high water mark, cleavers. When the word 'cabal' comes out, and the other you-know-who joins the thread things usually head south.

Good whilst it lasted to be fair. I'm getting ready to bail out...
I find it sad that we all support the same football team, and that some need to tag others one way or another. After yesterday's brilliant result, which must have suprised even the most optimistic blue, you'd think we could have a bit of time where we just enjoyed being a blue ?

The debate has been good for most of today, but I probably expect too much.
Honestly yesterday's result didn't surprise me. It wasn't what I expected, but I've come to feel that when playing at home, that kind of result is most decidedly in the cards.

Away from home, I'm learning not to be surprised if we lose to any club in the league. I'm hopeful that changes, though.

said before that we have terribly unlucky at times, robbed at others. of course there are times we have shot ourselves in the foot too. it'll be reet I promise. we are a good side and people see us now as THE scalp to collect. cup finals all the way i'm afraid. we can't help the luck or the bent refs but we can cut out silly errors and more importantly the bloody rotation shit.

BobKowalski said:
cleavers said:
BobKowalski said:
What also got on my tits is all the bollocks about 'football like you have never seen before' as if we had been playing Fat Sam's 'punt it long game' prior to Pellers and co showing up. You couple the rhetoric with the reality and ever shifting sands of excuses and people understandably get a bit testy.
Bollocks ?

In 40+ years of watching City live, I've probably seen us score 6 two or three times live, in the last 3 matches I've attended, we've averaged 6, how much better do you think we could be playing ?

Its a serious question, and I know about the away form and all, but we are playing football like I've never seen, just not every game yet, he has only been here 18 games.....

Yeh I loved Mancini too but get over him .We have a new manager now ,who'm you already seem to have formed "AN OPINION" about and that's all it is your opinion .In fact judging by such a narrow minded assessment,you won't be giving a chance to whoever came in !

Just watched the Pellegrini video on the OS. It has certainly given me a better understanding of the man and to a certain extent gives some reason as to why we have stuttered in away games. MP is on record saying that when he was in Spain he knew every player, how they played and what their characteristics were like, not just his own players but the opposition. He is spending a vast amount of time asking our researchers to give him information on the opposition, opposition players that he admits he doesn't yet know fully. This level of detail does make a difference to the team you pick, the formation you play and what vulnerabilities you try to exploit. I am much happier now in the way that we are progressing, Rome wasn't built in a day and all that. As the season goes on so MP is better sighted on the opposition and so our tactics will be better informed. Look what Yaya has said about the teamtalk MP gave before the match, 'it was 'inspirational', this guy is taking us forward, make no mistake. The machine started off slowly, yes there have been hiccups, but the wheels are moving now and we are going to take some serious stopping, the players have got the belief, they are playing for the manager and MP's knowledge of the Premier league is getting better and better, just watch us go now!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.