Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeMercer'sWay said:
OB1 said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
He didn't adjust accordingly to the fact we played a bunch of fringe players and left them to be overrun time and time again by an energetic Plzen team.

He didn't learn from Sunderland that Garcia in a 2 doesn't work yet he persisted with it and didn't make it the 3 it needed to be still the start of the 2nd half, and that was only through resting Kun.

and our defenders still don't know how to defend, it's been over 3 months and these are guys that are getting into the first team, through either need or rotation.

Our defenders don't know how to defend! Is that a general comment on their ability or a tactical one regarding what they should do in a Pellegrini team?

They haven't been able to fulfill what Pelle wants them to do, they can't defend to his specification unless his specification is to let the opposition have a free run at our back line on a number of occasions during the game and concede far too many goals as a result.

Exactly, I think it's a fair assumption that Pellegrini's idea of defending isn't letting the opposition run 4 on 3 at our back line. We're just not doing what he wants us to do. Moving forward and pressing as a team, defending as a team without the ball (not having the forwards and midfield saunter back whilst the opposition are breaking at just our back line). Watch Barcelona play almost anyone, it's nearly complete suffocation. Busquets is hugely important to this working and that's where Fernandinho is going to be crucial to us, more so than any other of our midfielders, even Yaya.

It requires good stamina and pace throughout the team to cover a lot of ground, but with superior possession which we're likely to enjoy, we can expend less energy because we're the ones dictating play. Again, look at Barcelona. How often will they be camped in their opponents half, giving them the run around, whilst not actually doing huge amounts of running themselves? A lot. But when they need to shift for a lost ball, BAM, up 3 gears, press press press, until they either get it back or stop play.

I can't wait to see us next season, because we're going to make this seasons team look like pressing high line amateur hour, which should scare the shit out of everyone else.

adrianr said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
OB1 said:
Our defenders don't know how to defend! Is that a general comment on their ability or a tactical one regarding what they should do in a Pellegrini team?

They haven't been able to fulfill what Pelle wants them to do, they can't defend to his specification unless his specification is to let the opposition have a free run at our back line on a number of occasions during the game and concede far too many goals as a result.

Exactly, I think it's a fair assumption that Pellegrini's idea of defending isn't letting the opposition run 4 on 3 at our back line. We're just not doing what he wants us to do. Moving forward and pressing as a team, defending as a team without the ball (not having the forwards and midfield saunter back whilst the opposition are breaking at just our back line). Watch Barcelona play almost anyone, it's nearly complete suffocation. Busquets is hugely important to this working and that's where Fernandinho is going to be crucial to us, more so than any other of our midfielders, even Yaya.

It requires good stamina and pace throughout the team to cover a lot of ground, but with superior possession which we're likely to enjoy, we can expend less energy because we're the ones dictating play. Again, look at Barcelona. How often will they be camped in their opponents half, giving them the run around, whilst not actually doing huge amounts of running themselves? A lot. But when they need to shift for a lost ball, BAM, up 3 gears, press press press, until they either get it back or stop play.

I can't wait to see us next season, because we're going to make this seasons team look like pressing high line amateur hour, which should scare the shit out of everyone else.

I watch Barca almost as much as City. We do have a way to go with our pressing. Mind you, Ajax ran at them with pace etc and caused plenty of problems on Tuesday.

For me Pellegrini as a lot to do to convince me he is the right man for the job, we look good going forward but we did under Mancini as well, may be not as fast but good just the same, the big difference is defending, we had two seasons with the best defence, and now we look like we don't know each other at times, to many gaps and both fullbacks often out of position and to far up field, if we are to challenge for trophies our defence as got to defend better, otherwise forget it.

BobKowalski said:
The issue of our defending has been a recurring theme and is primary an issue of system rather than personnel. The solution for most on here seems to be either change the players and/or that the players will 'get better'. Changing the players for defensive lapses is not practical and we went down that route with Hughes and whilst the players will (presumably) become more comfortable it still does not address the lack of cover given to the defence by the team as a whole. It was reasonably encouraging to hear both Pellers and Nasri talking about defending as team rather than just lumping the blame on the poor sods at the back.

On a separate note I have been impressed with Nasri this season not just for his form but his willingness to accept his own mistakes and responsibilities and I think we are seeing the fruits of that. Other players (yes Edin that would be you) could benefit from doing the same. Less encouraging was to hear Nasri talk about our away form and that he has no idea why it has been so poor. Lets hope someone else does have the answer as this sort of response has the alarm bells ringing. 10 out 10 for honesty though.

An article from Jonathan Wilson on the defence issue is worth a read.

Man City Unstoppable and Suspect
Nasri was also Mancini's "go to" choice for in-game touchline chats during stoppages etc. When I watched the Plzen recording there seemed to be some suggestion by the commentator (I use the term loosely) that Nasri was expressing his anxieties to Pellegrini as to what might happen to the team shape when he was substituted. I don't think they included the likelihood of an immediate goal by his replacement tho'.

As we enter December, planning for the rest of the season, if you were Pellegrini what would you do in January ?

GK, I would wait till Summer and let Hart and Pants fight it out for now, Still see Hart as the long term keeper.

RB... Zaba & Richards ... No change and both have versatility for cover in other positions in emergency.

RCB... Komps and keep Martin as back up

LCB... Would like to see Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus) brought in here (£25 Million) and keep Nasty

LB .. Gael & would like to see Filipe brought in from Athletico Madrid (£12.5 Million)

Holding Mid To compliment the current Yaya and Fern Combo we should buy Roman Neustadter from Shalke 04. who can also play in the centre of defence. Schalke 04 (£7 million)

The Attacking Midfield... Navas / Silva / Nasri and Forward Line of Aguero and Negrado are currently adequately supported by Jovetic and Milner, and it would be good to see Guidetti get in on some action. It would be nice to see a quality supporting addition to allow a little more rotation or support, but with Roman Neustadter in it could free up Yaya in some cases.

I know all of my (ideal) additions to the squad are tied in the Champions League, but they may take some of the pressure off in the prem and cups. (Its possible that Schalke and Juve could depart in the group stages)

To fund this I would look to sell Rodwell (12 million) (he hasn't done anything wrong but will never be in the same league as our current players), Dzeko (24 million) Garcia (apparently he is worth 16 million !!!!)

The above balances the books, allows new players time to get acquainted with the squad, playing Prem and Cup games, allows us to keep Lescott and Kolarov for Euro cover at the back, and if we do manage to sell anyone else or add investment we can bolster the forward options.

values taken from <a class="postlink" href="http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/manchester-city/startseite/verein_281.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/manch ... n_281.html</a>

Only my thoughts on how I would start a long term improvement plan, I am sure many of you have your own !!!

adrianr said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
OB1 said:

fefcd02735616bb8c9a1aa70327c0bc2_large.jpg

OB1 said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
cleavers said:
Last night was more down to playing 4 or 5 fringe players who aren't as good as the main players because we have an important league game at the weekend. Its no surprise that the back up players had to be helped to the win by the first team, but win we did. I didn't notice much stubborness, just some average players, playing, well pretty averagely. The full first team would probably have scored 6 or 7 again, and give Plzen some credit, they did actually play quite well.

He didn't adjust accordingly to the fact we played a bunch of fringe players and left them to be overrun time and time again by an energetic Plzen team.

He didn't learn from Sunderland that Garcia in a 2 doesn't work yet he persisted with it and didn't make it the 3 it needed to be still the start of the 2nd half, and that was only through resting Kun.

and our defenders still don't know how to defend, it's been over 3 months and these are guys that are getting into the first team, through either need or rotation.

Players are usually skilled at one thing and at best, capable, in other aspects. Sometimes these players are great at something and poor elsewhere. I would never have expected Pele to tackle like Tony Adams, nor would I have expected Richard Dunne to work his way through a packed defence like Messi. Each player has his job. Maybe our current defence, so tight in past seasons, just doesn't have the type of players to play the kind of tactical game that Pellegrini demands, in which case I can see a summer of substantial rebuilding at the back.

MrE said:
As we enter December, planning for the rest of the season, if you were Pellegrini what would you do in January ?

GK, I would wait till Summer and let Hart and Pants fight it out for now, Still see Hart as the long term keeper.

RB... Zaba & Richards ... No change and both have versatility for cover in other positions in emergency.

RCB... Komps and keep Martin as back up

LCB... Would like to see Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus) brought in here (£25 Million) and keep Nasty

LB .. Gael & would like to see Filipe brought in from Athletico Madrid (£12.5 Million)

Holding Mid To compliment the current Yaya and Fern Combo we should buy Roman Neustadter from Shalke 04. who can also play in the centre of defence. Schalke 04 (£7 million)

The Attacking Midfield... Navas / Silva / Nasri and Forward Line of Aguero and Negrado are currently adequately supported by Jovetic and Milner, and it would be good to see Guidetti get in on some action. It would be nice to see a quality supporting addition to allow a little more rotation or support, but with Roman Neustadter in it could free up Yaya in some cases.

I know all of my (ideal) additions to the squad are tied in the Champions League, but they may take some of the pressure off in the prem and cups. (Its possible that Schalke and Juve could depart in the group stages)

To fund this I would look to sell Rodwell (12 million) (he hasn't done anything wrong but will never be in the same league as our current players), Dzeko (24 million) Garcia (apparently he is worth 16 million !!!!)

The above balances the books, allows new players time to get acquainted with the squad, playing Prem and Cup games, allows us to keep Lescott and Kolarov for Euro cover at the back, and if we do manage to sell anyone else or add investment we can bolster the forward options.

values taken from <a class="postlink" href="http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/manchester-city/startseite/verein_281.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/manch ... n_281.html</a>

Only my thoughts on how I would start a long term improvement plan, I am sure many of you have your own !!!

Good choice of players to come in, but i would play Navas out wide not in midfield, i also would not sell Rodwell i do think he will be a very good player for us in the long run, think i might let Clichy go just because when he goes forward he never seem to cross the ball, but don't think i would change anything until the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.