Discuss Pellegrini (Pt 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice try Billy.
But the sad truth is that Pellegrini is looking more and more like a dud as each game passes.
I'd love to be wrong but I normally call it right months before the rest of you see the light. The really sad thing is that all it would take is a few adjustments to get us flying but Pellegrini just doesn't make them.

Barcelona took a huge risk with Rijkaard a manager with a similar 'winning mentality' to Mancini'. In his first job at Sparta Rotterdam got them relegated and in his first season at Barca took them briefly in the relegation zone with their fans calling for his head. He turned it around and they finished runners up and the trophies came in the next season. No doubts Mancini was popular with the majority of the supporters but unfortunately it is the players are the most important as far as the team is concerned and he has pissed off most of them during the title winning season and beyond. That is partly how Rijkaard lost his job at Barca.

de niro said:
here's a question for you billy or in fact anyone.

when we take the field of play, against any side, before a ball is kicked, how confident are you we'll get a result compared to the same fixture when mancini was in charge?

Depends which period of Mancini being in charge you're talking about. I'm nowhere near as confident of winning matches as I was for much of the title winning season. I am about as confident as I was for much of last season, (once it had dawned on me that our performances weren't a blip and that we'd regressed a fair bit since winning the title). The one thing I would say is that generally under Mancini, even if we weren't playing well, I didn't often expect to lose. We are currently much easier to beat. It's a worry, no doubt about it and nobody should be complacent about it imo. But then there is the other side of it where I think we are often playing with so much more freedom now that if we do get key players back and things improve a bit defensively then we could be absolutely awesome. I don't like could be or should be though, where City are concerned I tend to believe something once it has happened.

de niro said:
OB1 said:
My confidence levels have not dropped as a result of the change in manager. I do have concerns: I am more nervous than ever about the mentality of the players but I see that as an inherited problem. The fact that we have lost four league games means that the mental hurdle away from home is more pronounced than ever and that our room for error in the rest of the season is much reduced.

I continue to believe that our error rate has been abnormal in the early part of the season and remain very hopeful that it will change. I will worry about that if and when it doesn't.

Pellegrini's detractors are keen to blame the errors on him for changing how we play. Of course it is easy to say if he hadn't done this or that, something would not have happened e.g. If he had not changed from zonal marking, we would not have conceded two goals from corners at Cardiff or if he had picked Zab at Sunderland, Milner would not have been in the RB position when he was fouled... Well, the world would have been a different place and, without getting all philosophical (especially as learning about philosophy is still on my bucket list), that in of itself would have lead to different outcomes. How much of what has gone wrong is down to a poor choice of tactics and how much of a failure to execute effectively due to pure player error? I defy anyone to have a definitive answer to that. Errors may well occur because players are getting used to a new system or approach but that may just have to be a price of change.

I'm not sure that I have expressed myself effectively here but, whatever the reasons, I hold fast to the belief that we are making an abnormal number of errors and that it won't continue that way for long.

i'm not one of those, i'm saying why change the manager at all, to whoever. we had a natural born winner, pelligrini was a risk. why take that risk?

Wasn't aiming the detractor comment at you, btw; just trying to answer your question.

As to the point about why change from the last manger, I don't want to get into that. I thought it was the right decision and the reasons for and against that have been done to death on here. I will reiterate that I was a proponent of bringing Mancini to the club well before he was appointed. I was a staunch defender of him for the better part of three years and only came firmly down on the side of removing him after the last visit to Goodison.

I was in favour of bringing Pep to the club before then but that wasn't because I wanted rid of Mancini it was just something that I would have made an exception for. Pep though become a non-option before I voted "out". With him not being a potential replacement, I still had several managers ahead of Pellers on my wish list but not so many that I was displeased with his appointment. I believe that time will eventually prove that Pellers' appointment was / is not a big risk; time may prove me wrong but whether or not it does, I still think Bobby's position had become untenable and someone had to replace him. I think that it would have been better for all concerned if he had resigned after we won the title.

BlueAnorak said:
Nice try Billy.
But the sad truth is that Pellegrini is looking more and more like a dud as each game passes.
I'd love to be wrong but I normally call it right months before the rest of you see the light. The really sad thing is that all it would take is a few adjustments to get us flying but Pellegrini just doesn't make them.

I thought at first this must be urine extraction, but then again perhaps not. Either way, I'm surprised you have the time to post on Blue Moon, what with all those Premier League club chairmen's phone calls and enquiries to answer 'n' all.......

Exeter Blue I am here said:
BlueAnorak said:
Nice try Billy.

I thought at first this must be urine extraction, but then again perhaps not. Either way, I'm surprised you have the time to post on Blue Moon, what with all those Premier League club chairmen's phone calls and enquiries to answer 'n' all.......

Think he has the combined insight of Merson Nicholas and Thompson, I've heard he is signing a contract with sky as we speak

OB1 said:
de niro said:
OB1 said:
My confidence levels have not dropped as a result of the change in manager. I do have concerns: I am more nervous than ever about the mentality of the players but I see that as an inherited problem. The fact that we have lost four league games means that the mental hurdle away from home is more pronounced than ever and that our room for error in the rest of the season is much reduced.

I continue to believe that our error rate has been abnormal in the early part of the season and remain very hopeful that it will change. I will worry about that if and when it doesn't.

Pellegrini's detractors are keen to blame the errors on him for changing how we play. Of course it is easy to say if he hadn't done this or that, something would not have happened e.g. If he had not changed from zonal marking, we would not have conceded two goals from corners at Cardiff or if he had picked Zab at Sunderland, Milner would not have been in the RB position when he was fouled... Well, the world would have been a different place and, without getting all philosophical (especially as learning about philosophy is still on my bucket list), that in of itself would have lead to different outcomes. How much of what has gone wrong is down to a poor choice of tactics and how much of a failure to execute effectively due to pure player error? I defy anyone to have a definitive answer to that. Errors may well occur because players are getting used to a new system or approach but that may just have to be a price of change.

I'm not sure that I have expressed myself effectively here but, whatever the reasons, I hold fast to the belief that we are making an abnormal number of errors and that it won't continue that way for long.

i'm not one of those, i'm saying why change the manager at all, to whoever. we had a natural born winner, pelligrini was a risk. why take that risk?

Wasn't aiming the detractor comment at you, btw; just trying to answer your question.

As to the point about why change from the last manger, I don't want to get into that. I thought it was the right decision and the reasons for and against that have been done to death on here. I will reiterate that I was a proponent of bringing Mancini to the club well before he was appointed. I was a staunch defender of him for the better part of three years and only came firmly down on the side of removing him after the last visit to Goodison.

I was in favour of bringing Pep to the club before then but that wasn't because I wanted rid of Mancini it was just something that I would have made an exception for. Pep though become a non-option before I voted "out". With him not being a potential replacement, I still had several managers ahead of Pellers on my wish list but not so many that I was displeased with his appointment. I believe that time will eventually prove that Pellers' appointment was / is not a big risk; time may prove me wrong but whether or not it does, I still think Bobby's position had become untenable and someone had to replace him. I think that it would have been better for all concerned if he had resigned after we won the title.

He did....

BlueAnorak said:
Nice try Billy.

He can't pick up the phone in time: too much petroleum jelly on his phone hand.<br /><br />-- Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:50 pm --<br /><br />
Rammy Blue said:
OB1 said:
de niro said:

He did....

No comment.

OB1 said:
BlueAnorak said:
Nice try Billy.

He can't pick up the phone in time: too much petroleum jelly on his phone hand.

-- Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:50 pm --

Rammy Blue said:
OB1 said:

He did....

No comment.

;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.