Discuss Pellegrini

It's really hardly surprising that the team needs a bit of time to settle. new coaches, plenty of new players, new manager, new system, some injuries... Give it time, people.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
The cookie monster said:
dw7 said:
Not good enough players may like him and all that but for we be lucky to get top 4 and I can see us being destroyed in the derby in a couple of weeks
I wouldn't go as far as missing out on top 4 aft 3 games mate.
Not least because after "Matchday 3" we will be at least 4th and possibly 3rd.

I accept that it is early doors, and that flapping and squawking that the sky has fallen in,and that the end of the world is nigh, like that bonkers bloke and his sandwich board who used to loiter outside the Kippax, is premature, but there is so much missing at the moment in terms of tactical nous, inventive play, and commitment on the field from the players that it really is hard to see any kind of blueprint or template for the future, based on what we have seen so far.
A squad as talented and experienced as this should be running rings around hardworking journeymen like Hull and Cardiff - not looking like strangers who have met up on holiday for an impromptu five-a-side knockabout.
I think it is fair for folk to express their concerns, even at this early juncture, as what we have seen so far lacks any form of cohesion, or pace, or urgency.
Alarm bells shouldn't be ringing just yet, but apparently we need to show 'progress', according to our resident genius, and right now I don't see a great deal of it.

gio's side step said:
A manager of his pedigree has to notice (quickly) that Yaya/Fernandino as a flat two in midfield does not work.

That is all.

It's not the only problem, but it's certainly one of them. Is Rodwell injured atm?

hgblue said:
gio's side step said:
A manager of his pedigree has to notice (quickly) that Yaya/Fernandino as a flat two in midfield does not work.

That is all.

It's not the only problem, but it's certainly one of them. Is Rodwell injured atm?

Its the critical problem. Rodwell is another box to box player. We have 3 by the looks of it. Yaya's natural game is to drive forward. Fernandinho clearly is not a holding player and also wants to drive forward when possible (hence playing slightly further forward than Yaya). Rodwell also likes to get box to box (his goal last home game of last season).

The only real pivot type player who can retain possession and protect the back four is Barry. And we are getting rid of him.

We are going to have to adapt and put an extra player in midfield with probably 1 up front.

nijinsky's fetlocks said:
The cookie monster said:
I wouldn't go as far as missing out on top 4 aft 3 games mate.

I accept that it is early doors, and that flapping and squawking that the world has fallen and that the end of the world is nigh, like that bonkers bloke and his sandwich board who used to loiter outside the Kippax, is premature, but there is so much missing at the moment in terms of tactical nous, inventive play, and commitment on the field from the players that it really is hard to see any kind of blueprint or template for the future, based on what we have seen so far.
A squad as talented and experienced as this should be running rings around hardworking journeymen like Hull and Cardiff - not looking like strangers who have met up on holiday for an impromptu five-a-side knockabout.
I think it is fair for folk to express their concerns, even at this early juncture, as what we have seen so far lacks any form of cohesion, or pace, or urgency.
Alarm bells shouldn't be ringing just yet, but apparently we need to show 'progress', according to our resident genius, and right now I don't see a great deal of it.
Football, like life, isn't as simple as you appear to be painting it. I'm happy to reserve any meaningful judgment until the end of October.

One point of order, NF. I'm sure the "end of the world is nigh" bloke used to loiter outside the North Stand and occasionally the Main Stand :-)

gio's side step said:
hgblue said:
gio's side step said:

That is all.

Its the critical problem. Rodwell is another box to box player. We have 3 by the looks of it. Yaya's natural game is to drive forward. Fernandinho clearly is not a holding player and also wants to drive forward when possible (hence playing slightly further forward than Yaya). Rodwell also likes to get box to box (his goal last home game of last season).

The only real pivot type player who can retain possession and protect the back four is Barry. And we are getting rid of him.

We are going to have to adapt and put an extra player in midfield with probably 1 up front.

Totally agree, which is why I've been critical of the Fernandinho signing. We needed a top quality holding midfielder (De Rossi?), and a top quality centre back, and I'm still waiting. Not overly impressed with Fernandinho tbh, and would hate to think he's going to limit Rodwell's chances of playing because we've overpaid for him.

BillyShears said:
St Helens Blue (Exiled) said:
Love how shears pops up to question my posts re mancini etc yet has never answered the questions from yesterday..outed by tgr billy just resorts to sarcasm..oh well...why dont you reply to skashion or fetters billy...???See you at the match later...oh hang on.....

-- Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:51 am --

Love how shears pops up to question my posts re mancini etc yet has never answered the questions from yesterday..outed by tgr billy just resorts to sarcasm..oh well...why dont you reply to skashion or fetters billy...???See you at the match later...oh hang on.....

Not questioning you - just taking the piss out of you for being a moron.
Im sure his family ( of whom you showed great interest in 3 weeks ago) will find that comment rather saddening..

I accept that it is early doors, and that flapping and squawking that the world has fallen and that the end of the world is nigh, like that bonkers bloke and his sandwich board who used to loiter outside the Kippax, is premature, but there is so much missing at the moment in terms of tactical nous, inventive play, and commitment on the field from the players that it really is hard to see any kind of blueprint or template for the future, based on what we have seen so far.
Football, like life, isn't as simple as you appear to be painting it. I'm happy to reserve any meaningful judgment until the end of October.

One point of order, NF. I'm sure the "end of the world is nigh" bloke used to loiter outside the North Stand and occasionally the Main Stand :-)
There was one at Piccadilly station yesterday, brought back some memories.

andyhinch said:

There was one at Piccadilly station yesterday, brought some memories.
I suppose if they keep saying it, they will eventually be correct.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.