Discuss Pellegrini...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully he's learning from his mistakes , it's his first season in charge and we will see soon how we finish up.

No doubt we will need to improve our first eleven over the summer and if we can do that their will be a very high expectation on MP to win the title next season more so than this season which while looking a lot less likely now is still something to aim for.

I think next season could be really interesting. I expect Chelsea and us to be challenging again, obviously, but I'm not sure who else will be up there. Liverpool have had a great season, but they've had the luxury of no European football, which makes a massive difference. I think with midweek games on top of their PL schedule, they'll revert to a team challenging for the top 4 rather than the title. Similarly, I expect Everton's league form will suffer if they get into the CL. And on a related note, the rags could then be a bit of a surprise package, assuming they don't get into the Europa League, because they'll obviously invest massively again (which might just compensate for Moyes). And Arsenal are probably the hardest to predict, because they're not far off a top squad and have the money, but if they don't get into the CL, they might struggle to attract the players.

But we're definitely in a great position to push on next season, with a settled squad, a manager in his second season, and money to invest.

The pressure next year on him is gonna be extreme. Not sure he will spend his 3 year contract out unless he delivers the PL title what of course would make it impossible to axe him and unnecessary.:)
Not delivering it could only save his job if he brings in another trophies or huge CL run, semifinal at least.

In CL I dont have high hopes of winning it, everytime we were up for the big games deciding we going trough or not vs quality opponents we failed. At least this year little bit later than under Mancini. While for wining you have to go 3 rounds and win the final too. You cant do that with some players we carry. No way. Still a 1/4 final or 1/2 final in 4 years is far from a big ask from a squad like ours. Others do it, did it with lesser squads.

Thats why the PL title is the most important, and Pelle will have all the experience after this season. Now he knows the squad, the weaknesses of it, knows the league, the culture, the pace of the league, the smaller teams etc.
If he is as clever as some on here say, he will make sure this experience counts big time and wins the league. thats the pressure he will work under next season.
Pool might feel it harder next time as CL will take som of their energy surely, but Chelsea is one top striker away from a really good and strong team. and even without it they are 4 games away from the title and in the CL semifinals...
Maybe they are more boring than us, and Mourinho is the devil, but its hard to see them not improving with a striker that would score 20-30 goals in the league. If they pick it right, Pellegrini might have to improve us a lot to win it next year.
Maybe similar decisions has to be made what Mourinho did with selling a fan favourite Mata...

Kompany has to go.

Only kidding, well based on Pool game not, but certainly we cant believe only 2 player should come in, and some deadwood move on like Lescott and Rodwell and Richards.
I wouldnt be agains selling all of them: Dzeko, Clichy, Richards, Lescott, Rodwell, Sinclair, would really think on giving Nasri a new contract, if PSG/Monaco would offer his original 25m price I would accept it without thinking twice, but most of these players would need replacements.
Dzeko--striker, Richards right back behind Zabaleta, Clichy leftback next to Kolarov, Lescott-new CB, Rodwell new CM for bench, and for Nasri att. midfielder too.
Too many transfers? Well basically third of the squad, but I wouldnt carry these players anymore...
they either are not working as hard as they should or dont have the skills we need or both. Or always pretty injured.

I've been thinking a lot about sunderland... The players replace a strict manager that saved them from relegation with a manager they like, and now they're having a hard time staying above the relegation zone.

Is pellegrini just a better gus poyet, that everyone likes, but ultimately can't get the discipline/motivation/hunger needed from the players?

I'm With Stupid said:
I think next season could be really interesting. I expect Chelsea and us to be challenging again, obviously, but I'm not sure who else will be up there. Liverpool have had a great season, but they've had the luxury of no European football, which makes a massive difference. I think with midweek games on top of their PL schedule, they'll revert to a team challenging for the top 4 rather than the title. Similarly, I expect Everton's league form will suffer if they get into the CL. And on a related note, the rags could then be a bit of a surprise package, assuming they don't get into the Europa League, because they'll obviously invest massively again (which might just compensate for Moyes). And Arsenal are probably the hardest to predict, because they're not far off a top squad and have the money, but if they don't get into the CL, they might struggle to attract the players.

But we're definitely in a great position to push on next season, with a settled squad, a manager in his second season, and money to invest.

I agree with most of this. It will definitely be an interesting season. I well and truly believe us and Chelsea will be as strong as anyone in Europe (assuming we both keep hold of our star players and fill in the missing pieces effectively).

I'd like to see to Everton splash some money this summer and focus on maintaining that top four spot (if they get it). I think Martinez is a great manager, and would rather see Everton in top 4 than any of the other contenders.

As for Liverpool, I think they'll move backwards, forsure. If Rodgers tinkers the system too much, he'll blow what he's got going now. and if he doesn't invest, it'll be the fixture congestion that gets them. Either way, I think rodgers is a fraud. He might be a good a motivator, but he's really not the tactical mastermind some of u naively believe him to be. I'd expand, but there's really no point. Only time will prove either side of that argument.

Think United is a bit unpredictable at this point. Do expect Arsenal to be in top four next season, though. For me, they're only 3 players away from competing w anyone and everyone. I'd go mandzukic, reus (or cuadrado), and song. Looks like they might need a new right back also (sagna to city =)), but I think they have a pretty solid squad to work with. Missing major pieces, but only a few pieces & long overdue for some spending. Pressure will be too intense for them to go another window without major pickups Imo

nowantads said:
I've been thinking a lot about sunderland... The players replace a strict manager that saved them from relegation with a manager they like, and now they're having a hard time staying above the relegation zone.

Is pellegrini just a better gus poyet, that everyone likes, but ultimately can't get the discipline/motivation/hunger needed from the players?

No.

nowantads said:

He just gets better for me - if Dzeko had of scored and/or Vince not shinned that clearance we would be celebrating his class.

Very confident about next year and hope he is around for a good few years

Yeah, no criticism for Pellegrini today. Anyone who watched the match could see that it was his tactical changes that basically swung the game in our favour. You can't blame the manager for individual errors or refereeing decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.