Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2014/15 (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
KnaresboroughBlue said:
We lack movement when we have the ball and defensively we have no discernible shape or system. We have 2 or 3 players half heartedly pressing while the others are dotted around the pitch to no great purpose, leaving lots of space between the midfield and defence. If you're going to play a high defensive line, you need to press effectively, yet we don't (nor have we bought players that suit that system).

It's just a disorganised mess that Pellegrini seems unable to sort out.

Which is kind of strange as he is a coach that wants his side to play with movement, with intelligence and to adapt to any given situation. Obviously we have been severely lacking in those departments and he is failing to get his ideas to work consistently with the team.

This season can't end fast enough. Many thanks Manuel for the two trophies last season but you've destroyed us defensively.
Please go in the Summer and let's remember the good times we had together. If you stay we'll end up in a relegation battle next Spring.

Frankly is there anything worth discussing any more? Might as well just torch the thread and wait until summer when its all over.

teams reflect their managers, under Hughes we had some flamboyancy but looked clueless when things went against, under Mancini it was about suave, commitment and a bit of up and at them, that eventually became the squabbling, tetchy, frustrated reflection of the behind the scenes mess and under Pellegrini it was nice, easy on the eye, we'll do our own thing and we'll do it well and it's nice, but when it goes wrong we just bludgeon on, completely unable to do anything different and looking around at each other wondering whose fault it was that time that the masterplan didn't work.

That's why he has to go, he as a person has no other gear and no other plan or ideas, and his team reflects that.

super_city_si said:
lancs blue said:
KnaresboroughBlue said:
We lack movement when we have the ball and defensively we have no discernible shape or system. We have 2 or 3 players half heartedly pressing while the others are dotted around the pitch to no great purpose, leaving lots of space between the midfield and defence. If you're going to play a high defensive line, you need to press effectively, yet we don't (nor have we bought players that suit that system).

It's just a disorganised mess that Pellegrini seems unable to sort out.

A lot of the players we already had didn't suit that system either. The incomings however are as much Txiki's fault as Pellegrini's, if not moreso.

The problem with Pellegrini's preferred tactics is that we probably need to score 100+ goals in any season to make up for the defensive nonsense and have a chance of winning the title. It's a bumpy and entertaining ride when we achieve it but if the strikers' form dries up or injuries take their toll it stands a very good chance of failing.
I think a lot of our failings are not having the players who have the energy to press for 90 minutes. Last few games, we started with a high tempo and pressed effectively and looked great but then we hit the 15 minute mark and the lethargy sets in and we look shit as we allow the opposition time and space on the ball.
A big off season ahead.
We once had a hill built at Carrington to specifically deal with the physical conditioning of our players. It was said that although our players were fit, they weren't fit enogh for life at the top end of the footballing spectrum. The players didn't like it but together with sound defensive organisation and a tactical plan, we controlled games for extended periods. If the opposition increased the tempo we would increase ours beyond a level that almost all were capable of matching.

The players get their way and we demolish the hill........... So let's fast forward 18 months & now we have the lethargic not fit for any purpose Manchester City team we have today. Seeing a relegation threatened Villa team who were piss poor until Sherwood came along a few weeks ago running rings around us at home was just embarassing.

What has happened to our basic physical fitness training over the last 2 years never mind the tactical nous & rock solid defence we once had as our foundation? Its unbelievable to think how all of this has been eroded in such a short space of time & why its been allowed to happen.

Surely we should have built & improved upon what was already in place, not ditched it en masse with no tactical alternative in place.

I think tactically Manuel had got it badly wrong at times this season, but I do feel a certain level of sympathy towards him.

Watching his teams in Spain I don't think we have the correct personnel to play the way Manuel wants us to play, for a start we don't have much energy in the team to play a high intense press and we don't have that really top notch player other than Sergio who is great in 1 v 1 situations.

Two reasons why I think he will stay are firstly the recruitment, we will bring in players to play the way Manuel really wants us to play, and secondly because of the Pep dream.

I just think from Txiki's point of view as well that maybe a big overhaul of players along with a new manager and coaching team may just be too much change at one time.

Fuckinhell i expected this thread to have moved on abt 30 pages after that performance yesterday, only a few post added?

Anyway hopefully only a handful more games and he's toast, fingers crossed.

sam-caddick said:
I think tactically Manuel had got it badly wrong at times this season, but I do feel a certain level of sympathy towards him.

Watching his teams in Spain I don't think we have the correct personnel to play the way Manuel wants us to play, for a start we don't have much energy in the team to play a high intense press and we don't have that really top notch player other than Sergio who is great in 1 v 1 situations.

Two reasons why I think he will stay are firstly the recruitment, we will bring in players to play the way Manuel really wants us to play, and secondly because of the Pep dream.

I just think from Txiki's point of view as well that maybe a big overhaul of players along with a new manager and coaching team may just be too much change at one time.

I will be dismayed if he stays, and not having the ideal players for his preferred system is a poor excuse. There's a simple answer; adapt. And if it's energy we lack then don't pick Ya Ya, Lampard and Fernando, whilst Fernandinho and Milner warm the bench. I honestly can't believe some of the stuff I've seen since Christmas. There seems to be no discernible game plan either offensively or defensively. If the plan is to keep the faith for another year, whilst waiting on a 'maybe' from Guardiola, then heaven fucking help us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.