Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we've got the strongest squad in the league, but United, Chelsea and Arsenal have incredibly strong squads too. Ours is a bit imbalanced in places, and we've suffered badly with injuries.

To suggest we should be comfortably winning such a competitive league, and that many other managers could match Pellegrini's achievements, is unfair, naive and possibly disingenuous.

The same arguments were used against Mancini. I think some people underestimate just how difficult a job it is.

It is unprovable but what basis do you have to say others couldn't Match his achievements, it all comes down to what we believe is a successful season with the talent at his disposal, if you have the strongest squad in the league and one of the best in Europe you will be judged on this

You could've probably said the same thing about David Moyes when he was at Everton though, and we saw how that worked out. Making the transition to a bigger club brings its own difficulties.

It's a good point, managing the ego's at a big club is a very particular skill. But I also agree with Hilts, there's no way Pardew, Monk or Martinez are any worse tactically than Pellers. In fact, there's a good argument that all 3 are better in that respect.

I think Pellegrini get's away with a lot because it's assumed he's universally popular with the players. He is not.

It is unprovable but what basis do you have to say others couldn't Match his achievements, it all comes down to what we believe is a successful season with the talent at his disposal, if you have the strongest squad in the league and one of the best in Europe you will be judged on this

As you say, it's ultimately unprovable. Equally you have no basis for saying others could match his achievements. It's all hypothetical. Regardless though, perhaps we should wait until the end of the season before casting judgement? We are currently top of the league, after all.

That kind of arguing against yourself there, if he can't go seriously wrong how can you say he does a good job

Yeah.. I was careful in those words. I'd expect Frank Clarke to do a good job with the player we have.. There are nuances.. obviously, and I can't see Manuel being a long term manager. Or much longer I should say. But that's the nature of it. Keep him until it goes bad. He's done very well so far.

I accept getting Swansea to mid table is different than say getting city to the title, however if you look at the players at Pardews or monks disposal where should a decent manager get them in the league? That is how they are judged, just tell me watching city what signs are they that these two managers couldn't do the job as well as manuel, I hope you ain't going to mention tactics or organising a team in all aspects of the game

What does manuel bring to the table? Because I am struggling
Pardew is an absolute shitcock of a man, I suspect he would get laughed out of our dressing room by half the squad before he even got the chance to organise them. Personally as I have said too many times, I don't like the way pellegrini organises us defensively so in terms of pure tactics I have no inclination to defend him. But it's easy to forget that when he arrived he came to what looked to me like a fairly broken dressing room and brought back a level of calmness, stability and spirit that allowed us to rapidly get back to winning trophies and playing some exciting football along the way. I think that suggests he has the necessary gravitas to manage a top club, something I personally doubt the average mid table manager has. I'd probably like up see a change in the summer, would probably have liked to see it happen last summer but it has to be an upgrade.

It's a good point, managing the ego's at a big club is a very particular skill. But I also agree with Hilts, there's no way Pardew, Monk or Martinez are any worse tactically than Pellers. In fact, there's a good argument that all 3 are better in that respect.

With the greatest respect, I'm not really sure there is a compelling argument that the managers you mention are tactically better than Pellegrini. You're comparing apples and oranges. A fairer comparison would possibly be Pellegrini's time at similar mid-level clubs, such as Villareal and Malaga, and his record there speaks for itself.

As you say, it's ultimately unprovable. Equally you have no basis for saying others could match his achievements. It's all hypothetical. Regardless though, perhaps we should wait until the end of the season before casting judgement? We are currently top of the league, after all.

I base my judgement on his time here, I have been pretty consistent in that, a good manager sees problems and attempts to rectify them, he doesn't just carry on regardless and hopes things go okay, he gets away with it because we have a very good team, individual players get us out of a lot of bad performances, apart from his first few months in charge performances have always been hit and miss, you can not hand on heart say this guy knows how to organise a team proffesionally, he is very Keegan like in that regards

Keegan got lampooned for being niave but because pellegrini is Spanish and had a reputation he gets away with it, these last few years we should have been one of the great premiership teams but because our two managers were a class below we have underachieved but because we had a long period of shiteness some fans see it differently

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.