Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first 4 or 5 games this season we were playing at a real high tempo, winning ball back quickly and basically in the oppositions faces. Now we are back to slow build up and being dominated in midfield and being ripped open down the flanks. Bony just doesn't suit our system. Better playing without a recognised striker (until Kun returns) and the 2 ferns behind Yaya.Injuries aside, Why has the foot come off the trottle? If you are at the controls of a Ferrari why drive it like a skoda?

You've answered your own question. We started the season with everyone fit and thus being able to field more or less our best XI week in and week out. Since then we've lost at various stages, Toure, Vinny, Silva, Kun, and Kola. We also are having the added issue of the lack of fitness of squad players like Zaba, Fernando, Delph, Nasri, which has meant we haven't been able to freshen the side up in matches where you'd maybe expect the manager to.

Now taking all those injuries into account, the fact we're still top of the league, a point behind Juve in our CL group, and still in the league cup, suggests that so far the start of the season have been very very good. Which granted is hard to tell if you read some of the comments on the forum since Wednesday night.

The first 4 or 5 games this season we were playing at a real high tempo, winning ball back quickly and basically in the oppositions faces. Now we are back to slow build up and being dominated in midfield and being ripped open down the flanks. Bony just doesn't suit our system. Better playing without a recognised striker (until Kun returns) and the 2 ferns behind Yaya.Injuries aside, Why has the foot come off the trottle? If you are at the controls of a Ferrari why drive it like a skoda?

Injuries ? just a thought

He might have been average at best last season, but so far this he's looking a very good player, yet again your comment makes me wonder if you've actually watched him.

I've seen every game he's played for us. Calling him average last season is an insult to average. He was diabolical. He's improved somewhat this season, but if you think he looks "a very good player" then I'm afraid I don't trust your judgement on a player so it's probably best we both move on and don't waste each others time.

No, just an attempt at humour.
We didn't play well as a team, many individuals were under par, some considerably, and like you I was a little disappointed with the team set up, but there are mitigating factors in who we are missing, and there didn't look to be many options on the bench to be different.

Oh your comment amused me but that's not quite the point. However, I was not intending to make a big deal out of that...

I agree about the bench; it was pretty weak considering our squad.

You've answered your own question. We started the season with everyone fit and thus being able to field more or less our best XI week in and week out. Since then we've lost at various stages, Toure, Vinny, Silva, Kun, and Kola. We also are having the added issue of the lack of fitness of squad players like Zaba, Fernando, Delph, Nasri, which has meant we haven't been able to freshen the side up in matches where you'd maybe expect the manager to.

Now taking all those injuries into account, the fact we're still top of the league, a point behind Juve in our CL group, and still in the league cup, suggests that so far the start of the season have been very very good. Which granted is hard to tell if you read some of the comments on the forum since Wednesday night.

If we are not still top of the league tomorrow, the End of the World crowd will be back with a vengeance. The more so if the Tactical Turtle is seen to out think The Clown.

The debate about whether certain other managers could do better than Pellegrini might be interesting if it was actually an intelligent informed debate. My understanding is that there is considerable analysis to show that most managers do not make much of a difference to the expected performance of the players at their disposal. Very few outperform. One of the obvious examples of someone who is supposed to outperform is Jose and his current short-term difficulties may not alter the long-term analysis of his performance.

I don't know if Pep outperforms but he has just set some sort of Bundesliga record and I think it would be churlish to suggest that he did not have something to do with making the Barcelona he managed the best team that I have ever seen.

The general idea that it is all down to the players you have, has some considerable truth but that does not mean that you cannot cock it up as a manager. The guys that really are out of their depth though probably do not last long and, very often, do not get the job(s) in the first place. I don't think Pellegrini is outperforming and I don't think Mancini did either but both have had some spells of under performance. You need to make proper judgments though over the longer term. The significance of the players in all this does not mean that any old manager could come in and down better than Pellegrini. The reason that analysis shows that most managers do not necessarily make a huge difference is that the like of Alan Pardew and Tony Pullis do not get invited to manage Real Madrid or the current MCFC in the first place.

The point about people like Txiki knowing better than the likes of me also has some serious weight when you consider that this is Pellegrini's third season in charge. Txiki better well know better than the supporter base and having worked closely with Pellers for over two years, he really ought to know that Pellegrini brings plenty to the table worth having. I am pretty confident that it would be more than Txiki's of Ferran's jobs are worth to keep backing the Head Coach just because they appointed him by mistake in the first place. Mistakes do happen but the very best managers admit they have made one and take corrective action. I do not believe that Txiki or Ferran would be so stupid or sentimental and I do not believe that KAM or HRH would allow them to be.

If we are not still top of the league tomorrow, the End of the World crowd will be back with a vengeance. The more so if the Tactical Turtle is seen to out think The Clown.

The debate about whether certain other managers could do better than Pellegrini might be interesting if it was actually an intelligent informed debate. My understanding is that there is considerable analysis to show that most managers do not make much of a difference to the expected performance of the players at their disposal. Very few outperform. One of the obvious examples of someone who is supposed to outperform is Jose and his current short-term difficulties may not alter the long-term analysis of his performance.

I don't know if Pep outperforms but he has just set some sort of Bundesliga record and I think it would be churlish to suggest that he did not have something to do with making the Barcelona he managed the best team that I have ever seen.

The general idea that it is all down to the players you have, has some considerable truth but that does not mean that you cannot cock it up as a manager. The guys that really are out of their depth though probably do not last long and, very often, do not get the job(s) in the first place. I don't think Pellegrini is outperforming and I don't think Mancini did either but both have had some spells of under performance. You need to make proper judgments though over the longer term. The significance of the players in all this does not mean that any old manager could come in and down better than Pellegrini. The reason that analysis shows that most managers do not necessarily make a huge difference is that the like of Alan Pardew and Tony Pullis do not get invited to manage Real Madrid or the current MCFC in the first place.

The point about people like Txiki knowing better than the likes of me also has some serious weight when you consider that this is Pellegrini's third season in charge. Txiki better well know better than the supporter base and having worked closely with Pellers for over two years, he really ought to know that Pellegrini brings plenty to the table worth having. I am pretty confident that it would be more than Txiki's of Ferran's jobs are worth to keep backing the Head Coach just because they appointed him by mistake in the first place. Mistakes do happen but the very best managers admit they have made one and take corrective action. I do not believe that Txiki or Ferran would be so stupid or sentimental and I do not believe that KAM or HRH would allow them to be.
The idea that the elite level managers don't offer any added value is laughable and Pellegrini will be out the door as soon as Guardiola becomes available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.