Discussion: Manuel Pellegrini 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe for one second that Pellegrini would have done that at City. It's taken him 3 years to put out a proper midfield in the Champs Lg.

He would have been sacked after 6 months imo.

He's at the club at the right time, as was Mancini.
Disagree on this in that I think Pellegrini would have realised what Hughes was manifestly getting wrong and addressed it as his first order of business.

All hypothetical though. What is not is that he has the best win ratio of any PL manager but people (not you) still suggest he has been using tactics that do not suit us.

Silva will be just fine in a fluid 3 man midfield which can morph into a 4231 or my personal preference 4123 and both can also be interpreted as a 4141. Whichever way, I dislike our way of playing 442 which doesn't suit us at all, but any of the aforementioned will do me just fine.

Silva is good enough to play for us in any system. But the one that suits him best is the one we played first 5 games of the season, 4231 with him as a number 10 with little defensive responsibility.

The 433 we played on Tuesday is similar to how Barca play. One sitting midfielder (Fernando) two box to box midfielders who press high up the pitch (Yaya and Dinho) and two wingers with real pace, who again press high up the pitch and look to attack with pace and directness.

When you say "Silva will be just fine in a fluid 3 man midfield" where do you see him fitting in to that system? It seems you would drop one of Yaya or Fernandinho? Personally, I think while Silva could do a job there against certain teams, he's not physical or athletic enough to play there every week in the PL. He's far better further up the pitch, and playing him as a number 8 is not getting the best out of him.

Personally, in that system I'd play him wide right where Navas played. He's played that role for Spain many times. He naturally drifts inside and is obviously devastating at finding space and a killer pass.

But I still don't think he's ideally suited to fitting in to that system. The reason we were so devastating on Tuesday was the pace and directness at which we pressed and attacked high up the pitch, and that really isn't Silva's natural game.

I stand by what I said, with everyone fit our strongest side is 4231 with Silva playing centrally behind Aguero. But if Silva isn't available, 433 is now a fantastic alternative, and gets the best out of the other players available.

You are probably right.

Neither would have got a game, nor v Seville in the first game, nor v Crystal Palace in the League Cup. We'd go with knackered, Zaba & any other fucker, no matter how poor they have been.

Time that changed.

The thing that needs changing most is your record. If and only if they are deemed good enough will you see them play. whatever you or I think about that is academic.

People on both sides have got a bit excited. However I see little wrong with Neville's plea for more meaty cameos for our youngsters. I don't see anything in this proposition that would compromise the club's objectives. Just a question of mild re-balancing.

Personally I'll trust them, over a few blues that regularly watch EDS games against other EDS teams, with no disrespect to you who watch the EDS regularly (I can't as I'm too far away), but they are both better qualified, and they see far more than you do of said players.

I only watch the EDS players on the telly. In those games it seems that we have an abundance of players that might make it. Whereas Iheanacho stood out from the crowd as the one that very likely will make it. I think that players need to reach that sort of level before they're played in CL games. Its just too big a risk. Its also bad for the player if they're elevated too soon because nowadays they get these ridiculous tags (eg Garcia as the next Silva). I certainly don't agree with the idea of throwing them in to see if they are good enough, the coaches need to have a reasonable belief that they are good enough. Sometimes I wonder if we have too many players at youth level. For example we appear to have two goalkeepers who are talked about as future internationals. Bringing on one goalkeeper must be hard enough, having two who have to share game time and the attention of the coaches must be almost impossible.

Denayer was unlucky when his place was taken by Otamendi. Ideally he would have stayed in place of Demichellis but that sort of move is difficult to make at the last minute with a contracted player and the loan move could well be the making of Denayer.

People on both sides have got a bit excited. However I see little wrong with Neville's plea for more meaty cameos for our youngsters. I don't see anything in this proposition that would compromise the club's objectives. Just a question of mild re-balancing.

We could definitely use them to a bigger extent in the league cup imo. But when we've a fully fit senior squad the management probably see that competition as the best chance to keep the fringe players happy.

Disagree on this in that I think Pellegrini would have realised what Hughes was manifestly getting wrong and addressed it as his first order of business.

All hypothetical though. What is not is that he has the best win ratio of any PL manager but people (not you) still suggest he has been using tactics that do not suit us.

To achieve what Pellegrini has and to still be being lambasted as tactically naive or or being incapable of playing in the CL is pretty laughable.

Lot of people not gonna like this but it seems Pep is going to sign a new contract and Manuel's seeing out his contract. That's some serious show of faith from the owners. Four years in charge and no guarantee he won't sign another extension this summer particularly if we win a trophy or two.

To achieve what Pellegrini has and to still be being lambasted as tactically naive or or being incapable of playing in the CL is pretty laughable.

Just to add some stats-based weight to that, Pellegreni's record in Champions League away games is pretty bloody impressive. These away games, so we are told, are the most challenging from a tactical perspective.

Looking at the 8 Champions League group games we have played away from home since Pelle has been at the helm, here is a little table comparing results with top European sides and Arsenal & Chelsea:

Real W6 D2 L0 Points 20
City W6 D1 L1 Points 19
Bayern W6 D0 L2 Points 18
Atletico W4 D3 L1 Points 15
Barce W4 D2 L2 Points 14
Chelsea W4 D2 L2 Points 14
Arsenal W4 D1 L3 Points 13

Just need to extend this to R16 onwards and sort the home form and he is on the verge of cracking it :)

Just to add some stats-based weight to that, Pellegreni's record in Champions League away games is pretty bloody impressive. These away games, so we are told, are the most challenging from a tactical perspective.

Looking at the 8 Champions League group games we have played away from home since Pelle has been at the helm, here is a little table comparing results with top European sides and Arsenal & Chelsea:

Real W6 D2 L0 Points 20
City W6 D1 L1 Points 19
Bayern W6 D0 L2 Points 18
Atletico W4 D3 L1 Points 15
Barce W4 D2 L2 Points 14
Chelsea W4 D2 L2 Points 14
Arsenal W4 D1 L3 Points 13

Just need to extend this to R16 onwards and sort the home form and he is on the verge of cracking it :)

I maintain Pellegrini hasn't got anywhere near the praise and respect he deserves from the media. But that is because he for some bizarre reason hasn't managed to generate the same affection as previous inferior managers from our own wider supporter base.

Although it does feel like the Pellegrini song is getting louder and louder and more and more frequent so maybe that's changing.

Pellegrini has proven when he has by far the best squad in the league, he's capable of winning the league. This year we have by far the best squad in the league. Happy days :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.