Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: If Not Manuel Pellegrini then who?

hgblue said:
andersmcfcdk said:
jollylescott said:
A quick google search showed that Simeone has been taking English lessons with a private tutor for the last 12 months, so I would imagine he would be able to maintain a conversation. The best example of adapting is Poccettino, whose English has improved dramatically (as has his team). I am not saying that Simeone is the right type of manager (as you believe he is the wrong type), but I think you would find that the language issue may not be the hindrance that you think it would be.
At this moment, we need a manager who can motivate our players, not just 1 or 2 seasons, but more on long term basis, and Simeone is fantastic at doing that. Look at what he has got to work with at Atlético, the things he has achieved is ridiculous, since he took over in December 2011, he has won anything there is to win for a manager, except for the Champions League, which we all know he was so close to achieve as well. I think he is what we need to take the last step.

I've had enough of seeing a City team that is wide open and tactically naive. Simeone will sort the wheat from the chaff, get us organised tactically, disciplined defensively, and much more difficult to play against. If this makes him unsuitable for the role, then I'd suggest the job description is flawed.

If what we see in Spain, is Simeone's philosophy of football, he would make us difficult to beat, & very easy to stop. It may be a novelty in Spain to play that way, but playing like that over here for month on end, will be fodder for all opposing managers, some of whom were doing that before he even started. He would have to do something else.

And very few of the fantastic kids we have coming through would suit his style at all. Atleti's U19s play like Pulis is in charge.

Neville Kneville said:
hgblue said:
andersmcfcdk said:
At this moment, we need a manager who can motivate our players, not just 1 or 2 seasons, but more on long term basis, and Simeone is fantastic at doing that. Look at what he has got to work with at Atlético, the things he has achieved is ridiculous, since he took over in December 2011, he has won anything there is to win for a manager, except for the Champions League, which we all know he was so close to achieve as well. I think he is what we need to take the last step.

I've had enough of seeing a City team that is wide open and tactically naive. Simeone will sort the wheat from the chaff, get us organised tactically, disciplined defensively, and much more difficult to play against. If this makes him unsuitable for the role, then I'd suggest the job description is flawed.

If what we see in Spain, is Simeone's philosophy of football, he would make us difficult to beat, & very easy to stop. It may be a novelty in Spain to play that way, but playing like that over here for month on end, will be fodder for all opposing managers, some of whom were doing that before he even started. He would have to do something else.

And very few of the fantastic kids we have coming through would suit his style at all. Atleti's U19s play like Pulis is in charge.

I was talking about things Simeone brings to the table that we are currently lacking. Obviously to be a success at City he would have to combine some of these more defensive attributes with retaining a certain amount of attacking intent and flair. This should form part of any discussions we have with him before he's appointed, but I fail to see any reason why he couldn't do it. There would need to be a certain amount of player restructuring with one or two high profile departures, but I think the time has come for this team to be freshened up and taken in a new direction.

Mister Appointment said:
Rammy Blue said:
Mister Appointment said:
To be honest I think we need to rid ourselves of these players who seemingly need to be hauled over the coals once a month to ensure a consistency to their performances.

I'm chuckling at all the people suggesting Simeone is that guy. He can't speak a word of English and yet we should employ him on the basis motivating players is one of his strongest attributes? No thanks. Even putting aside the fact that he's totally the wrong type of manager of City, and that the owners aren't going to throw away an idea of how to play football and what kind of manager to employ after one trophyless season - he doesn't even have the basic language requirements.

The next appointment will be similar to Pellegrini in their footballing philosophy and also their temperament.

Not necessarily advocating Simeone, however wasn't it written a while back that he was taking English lessons in readiness for a crack at the Prem?

Ahh yeah he is taking English lessons. Still there's so many things pointing to why he won't get the job this summer that for me it's a fruitless discussion.

You know I've been an avowed Klopp fanboy since long before Mancini's sacking so that'd be the name top of my list. Can't help but feel though that Txiki might go for De Boer or a name out of left field. Carlo is too old and IMO they'll look for someone relatively young in comparison to Pellegrini.
I want Pep or Klopp but I think we will get De Boer or Rijkaard and I do not know if they will sort out whatever the problem is in the dressing room.

OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:
Rammy Blue said:
Not necessarily advocating Simeone, however wasn't it written a while back that he was taking English lessons in readiness for a crack at the Prem?

Ahh yeah he is taking English lessons. Still there's so many things pointing to why he won't get the job this summer that for me it's a fruitless discussion.

You know I've been an avowed Klopp fanboy since long before Mancini's sacking so that'd be the name top of my list. Can't help but feel though that Txiki might go for De Boer or a name out of left field. Carlo is too old and IMO they'll look for someone relatively young in comparison to Pellegrini.
I want Pep or Klopp but I think we will get De Boer or Rijkaard and I do not know if they will sort out whatever the problem is in the dressing room.

Rijkaard won't even be in contention IMO. Done nothing for too long. There's a couple of other Germans as LC said somewhere if we d'or go for De Boer or Klopp.

Anyone who will pick our best players in their best position and stick with them. Pelligrini rotates for the sake of it, doesn't seem to pay attention to detail and seems to let perfomances drift

I had faith in Pelligrini but I haven't any more. We'll get leathered off Barca and if we're not careful we'll sleepwalk into a fight for 4th(I think we'll finish 2nd)

I'd give Viera a go.

ABP - Anyone But Pellegrini.

I'd sack him tomorrow morning and put Viera in charge. Look how it worked out for Chelsea with Di Matteo, untested at that level, talented squad who lost faith in the manager and downed tools, league is over, going in to the second leg of a Champions League tie with seemingly no hope (I think they were 3-0 down against Napoli) and went on to win the Champions League.

The players have completely lost faith and respect in this manager for quite obvious reasons. All of those players, to a man have the upmost respect for Viera, they will play for him. Could you imagine Viera sitting on his hands and accepting a performance like that? Or the one against Liverpool, or Leicester, or Barca? No chance.

The likes of Kompany and Yaya both said they grew up idolising Viera, our captain and vice captain should be inspiring those around them, instead they look lost, dejected, confused, disinterested. They don't believe in this manager or his busted philosophy. Viera is a man that commands their respect, a man they believe in.

More than that, Viera has shown as a player and in his short time as a manager that he understands the game, in the PL especially, and in Europe. It would be impossible for him to be tactically worse than Pellegrini. It would be impossible for his game management to be worse.

The only thing that Pellegrini brings to the table is his apparent nice guy persona and man management. When that stops working what's left? Nothing. The emperor is clearly sat there bollock naked, probably sitting on his hands looking confused.

GaudinoMotors said:
The players speak different languages - in this day and age language isn't a barrier. It might not be ideal for Goals on Sunday but he'd get his points over at City.
Ok maybe Sorianno has nailed his colours to the mast re having a nice guy manager, but given the punditry and press today, it must dawn on even him that the media will "kill" a nice guy just as much as a baddie!

By the way - you still supporting Pelle or is this sit on the fence and simply say trust the owners fall back stance your latest ruse at not being wrong?

It's a fair point that players all speak different languages. But I think at the very highest level you want a manager who speaks the native tongue. Ultimately even Mancini from the day he came in had a good enough grasp on the English language to hold his own. If Simeone's already there then great.

Don't mistake my belief that there's no way he'll get the job with me not rating him. He's shown himself to be a top manager and has done a remarkable job in Madrid. Up there with Klopp's back to back titles with Dortmund and even Mourinho's achievements at Porto. I'm not a huge fan of the football they've played but you make best use of the resources you've got available to you and he's most certainly done that.

I'm not really sure why you think trusting the owners is some sort of cop out btw. I actually believe in what Soriano's vision of how the teams at the club should play football. High defensive line at all times, play the game in the oppositions half, and entertain us the supporters and the wider watching world. It's a way of winning and it might be more difficult than winning like Mourinho's teams do, but when you are a really top club you must entertain as well as win. Chelsea with Mourinho will simply never capture the imagination the way Madrid, Barca, or Bayern do. Dare I say it, even the rags under slur alex. All of them have loosely adhered to that way of playing.

It's not worked out this season the way any of us would've liked. I said last night that I think Pellegrini should go this summer and probably will. I like the guy though and think he's handled himself in the right way over his entire time at the club. Ultimately he has been far too passive both in his public persona and in the way he's dealt with our problems this season though. He'll go with a couple of trophies which is pretty fucking good for a couple of season in the PL and we'll move on.

The future looks a little uncertain though if he does go this summer. I can't imagine all of our purported best XI will survive the summer so there's rebuilding to be done to the squad. If the board want to make a managerial change they'll have to act decisively and get the summer bang on.

Mister Appointment said:
OB1 said:
Mister Appointment said:

Rijkaard won't even be in contention IMO. Done nothing for too long. There's a couple of other Germans as LC said somewhere if we d'or go for De Boer or Klopp.

Unless you know something that I don't, I'm going to disagree; it does depend on whether FS & TB think the dressing room is the issue. The reason I say Rijkaard is that he fits the profile Txiki appears to want (didn't he mention him as one of the few only recently?) and he will be available. I fear that Pep and Klopp will not be open to us this summer; I would have thought that De Boer would be open to it but, if for some reason he isn't, the field narrows quickly.

I don't know the young German coaches.

Bobby Manc was too abrasive
Pellers is too nice
Is there someone to last more than 18 months?

Vieira all day long for me. Id be happy to see him appointed tomorrow to be honest. Pellegrini is already preparing for life after City hence the Napoli talk so id take a chance with Patrick and see how we get on. Vieira is going to go on to become a great manager somewhere else if we don't, mark my words!!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.