Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements

What makes you qustion Paddys tactical credentials Damo?

We could do a lot worse than Koeman. Should be Manager of the Year for me, although the eye gouger will no doubt get it. If Saints hadn't had that mid-season injury crisis, I suspect our top 4 chances would be looking even bleaker right now.

ianw16 said:
We could do a lot worse than Koeman. Should be Manager of the Year for me, although the eye gouger will no doubt get it. If Saints hadn't had that mid-season injury crisis, I suspect our top 4 chances would be looking even bleaker right now.

Aah more ifs, buts and aunties bolox.

Jorge Jesus is probably too eccentric for our policy, but this is impressive. I've watched Benfica a few times this season and while the league is poor, the way they attack and their interplay is mouthwatering at times.

Qy5OWQ8.jpg

FantasyIreland said:

Mainly because I'm being unfair to him.

Paddy seems to quite player oriented in terms of how he manages the EDS - he'll move players around in different positions to help their development rather than win the game and this seems to be the root of all of his decisions, "what is best for the development".

At times though this has led to decisions that seem to go against what is best for the game in general. A good example was a group game away against Roma where we struggled in the first half and battered them in the last 30 minutes. We started well with one of our midfielders dropping off and playing that quarterback type role but when they switched to 3 at the back and moved another man into midfield, they marked him out of the game and were twatting us down the wings with Maffeo struggling. This came about because Ambrose who was playing in front of him and guarding the runs from the opposing fullback was actually switched centrally whilst Celina was moved over to the right. At the time I thought this was madness because it actually made us weaker and gave their winger loads of time and space as they were doubling up and Celina wasn't tracking as well as Ambrose was.

We scraped through the half to be honest and were lucky to remain 0-0 for the hour. After the hour mark, Vieira switched it around again where he brought on Dilrosun to go down the left and switched Barker to the troubling right side, Ambrose/Celina up front in a two with Bryan/Bryne in the centre. Then we twatted them and ran out 4-0.

Took me a little while to work out why he did that but it's always stuck with me since. He must have seen that we were getting battered down that wing as their guy was running the game really obviously. I've come to the conclusion that he did that because he noticed the winger/full back getting a bit of success and decided to give Celina a job to do defensively where to be honest he isn't the greatest. Ambrose doesn't really need to keep an eye on a fullback as part of his development and already does that well when he's part of our attacking 3. He threw Maffeo under the bus a bit or you could say that he showed his confidence in him in his ability to put a weaker defender in front of him.

Whilst this is wonderful for player development and there's the argument that we were already through, he does little things like that semi-regularly at the expense of our solidness. Sometimes it's hard to decipher if it's a lesson he's trying to show a player or he just made a mistake and depending on my mood Vieira is either tactically inept or a tremendous teacher or somewhere in between.

For me it has to be Klopp. Yes Dortmund have struggled this season, but what he's done with that club in his time there while constantly losing his best players every season is remarkable. Not only that, he's done it playing exciting attacking football while relying on youngsters and even reinventing some players (Lewandowski was a midfielder, I believe). His English is really good and for me he's the right blend between calm and fucking bonkers just like us blues (at times). What we need is someone who has the balls to give someone a go, and what he needs is a team that he can build without the fear of losing players to a 'bigger' club the following season. Sounds obvious to me.

Damocles said:
FantasyIreland said:

Paddy seems to quite player oriented in terms of how he manages the EDS - he'll move players around in different positions to help their development rather than win the game and this seems to be the root of all of his decisions, "what is best for the development".

At times though this has led to decisions that seem to go against what is best for the game in general. A good example was a group game away against Roma where we struggled in the first half and battered them in the last 30 minutes. We started well with one of our midfielders dropping off and playing that quarterback type role but when they switched to 3 at the back and moved another man into midfield, they marked him out of the game and were twatting us down the wings with Maffeo struggling. This came about because Ambrose who was playing in front of him and guarding the runs from the opposing fullback was actually switched centrally whilst Celina was moved over to the right. At the time I thought this was madness because it actually made us weaker and gave their winger loads of time and space as they were doubling up and Celina wasn't tracking as well as Ambrose was.

We scraped through the half to be honest and were lucky to remain 0-0 for the hour. After the hour mark, Vieira switched it around again where he brought on Dilrosun to go down the left and switched Barker to the troubling right side, Ambrose/Celina up front in a two with Bryan/Bryne in the centre. Then we twatted them and ran out 4-0.

Took me a little while to work out why he did that but it's always stuck with me since. He must have seen that we were getting battered down that wing as their guy was running the game really obviously. I've come to the conclusion that he did that because he noticed the winger/full back getting a bit of success and decided to give Celina a job to do defensively where to be honest he isn't the greatest. Ambrose doesn't really need to keep an eye on a fullback as part of his development and already does that well when he's part of our attacking 3. He threw Maffeo under the bus a bit or you could say that he showed his confidence in him in his ability to put a weaker defender in front of him.

Whilst this is wonderful for player development and there's the argument that we were already through, he does little things like that semi-regularly at the expense of our solidness. Sometimes it's hard to decipher if it's a lesson he's trying to show a player or he just made a mistake and depending on my mood Vieira is either tactically inept or a tremendous teacher or somewhere in between.

I am surprised you feel you have the necessary experience and knowledge to comment to be honest, fair play to you

Damocles said:
FantasyIreland said:

The only criticism of Jim Cassell was that he was more interested in the team winning than developing the players. If Paddy is doing the opposite and developing the player instead of worrying about winning, then I'd say it's a big improvement and far better for the club in the long term.

I suspected that would be your reply......and while his methodology does raise questions.......i suspect in certain circumstances,and probably where he believes we can get away with it.........he places a greater emphasis on individual development rather than team success.I think in the more 'important' fixtures he will tend to revert to the players natural game.
For me,our youth teams look far more balanced than the first team.......which must surely add some weight to his credentials.

FantasyIreland said:
I suspected that would be your reply......and while his methodology does raise questions.......i suspect in certain circumstances,and probably where he believes we can get away with it.........he places a greater emphasis on individual development rather than team success.I think in the more 'important' fixtures he will tend to revert to the players natural game.
For me,our youth teams look far more balanced than the first team.......which must surely add some weight to his credentials.

There's a different sort of balance at EDS level definitely, but strangely they actually share some of the same problems as the first team in terms of lack of pace in moving the ball about.

It's not that I don't rate Vieira and indeed have previously advocated that he be our next manager, it's just a bee I have in my bonnet about him where I can't work out whether some of his failings are by accident or design.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.