Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements

OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:
Then again this could answer my own question...

' Burnley covered 11.9km more than Man City in their 1-0 win last Saturday; the biggest difference in a PL game this season'

A bit of effort lads. It ain't hard.

The gap won't be as big but I am sure that you will find Barca ran further than City on Wednesday.

The team does not run far enough or quick enough; the question is: how much can the manager do about that?

Aside from giving them a bollocking there isn't much he can do. I'd imagine Yaya, Silva, Nasri and Sergio are always at the bottom of the list in terms of running distances, and he can't really drop them.

I suppose the next best thing is ensuring we buy players that do fit that criteria, if that's how we intend to set up.

I like Bony as a striker but im not entirely sure he fits that bill either.

OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:

' Burnley covered 11.9km more than Man City in their 1-0 win last Saturday; the biggest difference in a PL game this season'

The gap won't be as big but I am sure that you will find Barca ran further than City on Wednesday.

The team does not run far enough or quick enough; the question is: how much can the manager do about that?

If they are unfit then a lot. If its just them being lazy cunts then he can drop them but he cant drop all 11.

chris85mcfc said:
OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:

Aside from giving them a bollocking there isn't much he can do. I'd imagine Yaya, Silva, Nasri and Sergio are always at the bottom of the list in terms of running distances, and he can't really drop them.

I suppose the next best thing is ensuring we buy players that do fit that criteria, if that's how we intend to set up.

Yaya, Silva and Nasri are not always at the bottom of the list.

blueinsa said:
OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:

If they are unfit then a lot. If its just them being lazy c**ts then he can drop them but he cant drop all 11.

Obviously, the manager should be able to do something about it but it does also come back to the physical attributes of the players and their mentality. I have no real idea how where the balance lies in terms of who is most at fault but it has to be addressed.

OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:

A lot. Burnley worked harder because they are conditioned and trained to work harder. They know that the only way they can survive is to put in maximum effort and anything less than that will not be tolerated because that is their best weapon against better teams.

We have to match that effort and that is down to the coach preparing us both physically and mentally to do so. Now that 'effort' may not just be in running or distance covered but use of the ball and maximising our strengths. The manager doesn't get a pass and a 'well what we can he do' because if that's the attitude then it's no surprise we are looking at a 3 wins in 12 stat.

OB1 said:
We do need to start signing a different type of player to fit the model to which we aspire too; regardless of whether we hope to get Pep or not.

This team wasn't built to press high up the pitch which is why they can't really do it for more than 10 or 15 minutes at a time. More importantly the midfield core of Silva, Nasri, Toure, arguably our three most important players in an attacking sense, are almost incapable of playing a high tempo pressing game. That's why down the years whenever we've come up against a midfield who know how to press and press well, those players really struggle and inevitably become frustrated.

As I said earlier though, Pellegrini didn't sign those players and I think in many respects the performance against Barca over both legs will have been more of a damning indictment of the players' actually ability to match a team like Barca for quality than the manager's capabilities. That's why I think Pellegrini is being backed with big money this summer. He'll need to deliver next season in a tangible way in terms of progress, but he'll have the backing and the tools to do it.

I'm quietly getting quite excited about our summer shopping. :)

OB1 said:
chris85mcfc said:
OB1 said:

Yaya, Silva and Nasri are not always at the bottom of the list.

Given the positions they play in, they should be at the top of the list most weeks

Centre backs and strikers would be somewhere down the bottom

OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:

A lot .

However when you pass well and position yourself well you can cover more territory without having to run around without the ball or possession.

That's our main problem at present we don't move it around quickly enough forward enough.

Its Arsenal at their least effective too many passes too slowly into dangerous areas.

Can't remember ( Milner's second against Leicester aside ) when we moved it quick and had a body at the end of a cross to tap in .

You don't need to press to do that.

Our players seem bereft of confidence.

Silva wants to make that extra unnecessary pass to Kun and for what , we know he can shoot from distance and with pace so why doesn't he when he has the chance.

Silva's first touch when through on goal against Burnley was a telling factor for me.

Not nearly enough pressure on the keeper to make saves.

BobKowalski said:
OB1 said:
BobKowalski said:

A lot. Burnley worked harder because they are conditioned and trained to work harder. They know that the only way they can survive is to put in maximum effort and anything less than that will not be tolerated because that is their best weapon against better teams.

We have to match that effort and that is down to the coach preparing us both physically and mentally to do so. Now that 'effort' may not just be in running or distance covered but use of the ball and maximising our strengths. The manager doesn't get a pass and a 'well what we can he do' because if that's the attitude then it's no surprise we are looking at a 3 wins in 12 stat.

I completely agree that our workrate is absolutely crap, however there is a simple reason Burnely ran about so much v City, we had 70% of the ball & they had to.

We lost as much because we had no quality or inspiration in possession.

Against Barca, our lack of mobility & pace without the ball was shown up for everyone to see.

Neville Kneville said:
BobKowalski said:
OB1 said:

I completely agree that our workrate is absolutely crap, however there is a simple reason Burnely ran about so much v City, we had 70% of the ball & they had to.

We lost as much because we had no quality or inspiration in possession.

Against Barca, our lack of mobility & pace without the ball was shown up for everyone to see.

I agree on the running v Burnley. That is a feature of their game due to the technical deficit against us. Our 'work rate' needs to be as good just applied differently. That we didn't do this is a collective failure of players and coaching staff. That it has been a feature of our season and it is getting worse is the major concern.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.