Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: Ancelotti to City??

The concern over potential lack of authority if the manager does not sign an extension is a legitimate one as are similar fears about him signing an extension that everyone sees as a smokescreen. Not sure that an easy answer exists though. You can sack the manager but where does that get you if you have someone who is just then viewed as a caretaker. Benitez won a European trophy as a caretaker.

A lot depends on the attitude of the players and that does concern me.

Maybe the DoF as to step in and make it crystal clear to the players that anyone thinking they can slack off because the manager has not got a contract extension will find themselves also in the last year of their contract?

petrusha said:
pavelsrnicek said:
OB1 said:
I've said this before but I used to watch Milan a fair bit when CA was their manager and I thought he underachieved in the league. I am very wary of the idea that he would be a major upgrade on Pellegrini and I do not see him as in any way guaranteed to win us the league. Pellegrini has already done a domestic double and I could envisage him winning the league again next year if he gets the right recruits in the summer.

Ancelotti managing City would not be the end of the world by any means but he would not be in my top three choices to replace Pellegrini.

I would not be surprised if we looked at another manager like Ancelotti on a 3 year deal which may just happen to coincide with the possible 2 year extension for Guardiola...

Based on what he did after leaving Barca, I'd speculate that upon leaving Bayern, Pep may want another sabbatical before he signs a contract (presumably 3 or 4 years) at another club. If that were right and if he doesn't break his contract with Bayern this summer, then it would be a minimum of two years before he'd become available.

If Pellegrini did depart this summer, then appointing a manager who's been around the block, such as Ancelotti, would make me wonder if we did still hope to land Pep at some future stage. Appointing a younger manager on a long contract (a Klopp or a De Boer, say) would make me think that we'd probably reconciled ourselves to Pep never joining us.

That's pretty much my view, Ancelotti would be, at the very least a safe pair of hands, for 2-3 years. It looks like a short term appointment rather than someone coming in for 5 years+. Perhaps we will never do a long term appointment with Ferran and Txiki as they talk about 3 year cycles but we won't know till it happens.

In any event this could simply be agent talk to strengthen Ancelotti's hand. There are very few big jobs that might be available so we will find ourselves linked with a number of managers for this reason. So get ready for "snubbing season", Simeone was first, no doubt there'll be others...

petrusha said:
pavelsrnicek said:
OB1 said:
I've said this before but I used to watch Milan a fair bit when CA was their manager and I thought he underachieved in the league. I am very wary of the idea that he would be a major upgrade on Pellegrini and I do not see him as in any way guaranteed to win us the league. Pellegrini has already done a domestic double and I could envisage him winning the league again next year if he gets the right recruits in the summer.

Ancelotti managing City would not be the end of the world by any means but he would not be in my top three choices to replace Pellegrini.

I would not be surprised if we looked at another manager like Ancelotti on a 3 year deal which may just happen to coincide with the possible 2 year extension for Guardiola...

Based on what he did after leaving Barca, I'd speculate that upon leaving Bayern, Pep may want another sabbatical before he signs a contract (presumably 3 or 4 years) at another club. If that were right and if he doesn't break his contract with Bayern this summer, then it would be a minimum of two years before he'd become available.

If Pellegrini did depart this summer, then appointing a manager who's been around the block, such as Ancelotti, would make me wonder if we did still hope to land Pep at some future stage. Appointing a younger manager on a long contract (a Klopp or a De Boer, say) would make me think that we'd probably reconciled ourselves to Pep never joining us.

The club needs to get on with their business and the next appointment needs to be the best available man for the job and not a "caretaker".

IMO they are both to old we need younger blood and sitting on our thumbs waiting for Pep is not the answer, we may already have the future within our ranks. But as with some of our academy players we may lose him

OB1 said:
Blue Mooner said:
MihaiCity said:
you have no idea what you're talking about...di marzio is the best in europe when it's come to transfers..you will not find out another out there who is better than him and if he said that we are after Carlo then it's looks like this will be MP last season here

Err ok, quick google of Di Marzio and I find this from June 2014 from Mr reliable journalist Di Marzio https://m.facebook.com/LFCTransSpec/posts/800479279984083/ If you don't have fb apparently according to DI Marzio Shaqiri in June 2014 was on his way to Liverpool to meet Liverpool fc representatives to sign a contract - so what happened of that 'nailed on' transfer then ?

Rather than making statements with nothing at all to back them up, all I have asked for is proof of this Di Marzio's reliability on the transfers quoted above, and I may be prepared to eat some humble pie on the matter.

Throw enough sh*t at a wall and some of it will stick, but we all know most of these journalist 'stories' are exactly that, a load of sh*te.

If LoveCity tells you that Di Marzio is a reliable source, you can be sure that he knows what he is talking about. From what I have seen of Di Marzio, he does seem to be one of the more informed journalists. That does not mean his information is always correct. In this case, Ancelotti's people may be making waves that have landed on Di Marzio's beach.

Another statement delivered as fact without anything to back it up. If 'lovecity' is so much better informed than your average city fan then provide some facts to back it up, otherwise, his opinion is no more valuable than anyone else on here.

If Ancellotis camp are driving this then 'wanting' something to happen is very different from it actually happening.

Fwiw tolmie, a poster who i do recognise as having more credibility than most, says its complete nonsense, so someone is talking complete toshand i would wager that it is the enemies of City in the press.

OB1 said:
The concern over potential lack of authority if the manager does not sign an extension is a legitimate one as are similar fears about him signing an extension that everyone sees as a smokescreen. Not sure that an easy answer exists though. You can sack the manager but where does that get you if you have someone who is just then viewed as a caretaker. Benitez won a European trophy as a caretaker.

A lot depends on the attitude of the players and that does concern me.

Maybe the DoF as to step in and make it crystal clear to the players that anyone thinking they can slack off because the manager has not got a contract extension will find themselves also in the last year of their contract?

Agreed. A lot depends on the personality and character of the manager. Rafa has the necessary ego to overcome the interim tag (which he said was a mistake if I recall) and impose his will on the group. Txiki laying down the law will not work over a season. We have seen a slacking off this season which Pellers has been unable to prevent or correct to date (Pellers still has time to get the team finishing strongly and I hope he does) but if he doesn't it is difficult to make an argument that he can see an upturn in the final year of his contract. New signings may give a lift to compensate though.

The issue I have is this perceived obsession with Pep and the inference all plans are on hold or by necessity short term because of this obsession. Personally I think it's a mistake and I hope that it's more of a forum obsession than one held by the board and senior management.

Danamy said:
Like it or not, I think we all need to get used to MP being here next season
Yeah I agree with that, there's going to be endless speculation between now and the end of season (and beyond no doubt) but I don't see him going anywhere. People have to remember that this set of circumstances differs enormously to those which saw Mancini sacked. Results and performances only told half the story that's why I think we're content to keep him for one more season.

Blue Mooner said:
OB1 said:
Blue Mooner said:
Err ok, quick google of Di Marzio and I find this from June 2014 from Mr reliable journalist Di Marzio https://m.facebook.com/LFCTransSpec/posts/800479279984083/ If you don't have fb apparently according to DI Marzio Shaqiri in June 2014 was on his way to Liverpool to meet Liverpool fc representatives to sign a contract - so what happened of that 'nailed on' transfer then ?

Rather than making statements with nothing at all to back them up, all I have asked for is proof of this Di Marzio's reliability on the transfers quoted above, and I may be prepared to eat some humble pie on the matter.

Throw enough sh*t at a wall and some of it will stick, but we all know most of these journalist 'stories' are exactly that, a load of sh*te.

If LoveCity tells you that Di Marzio is a reliable source, you can be sure that he knows what he is talking about. From what I have seen of Di Marzio, he does seem to be one of the more informed journalists. That does not mean his information is always correct. In this case, Ancelotti's people may be making waves that have landed on Di Marzio's beach.

Another statement delivered as fact without anything to back it up. If 'lovecity' is so much better informed than your average city fan then provide some facts to back it up, otherwise, his opinion is no more valuable than anyone else on here.

If Ancellotis camp are driving this then 'wanting' something to happen is very different from it actually happening.

Fwiw tolmie, a poster who i do recognise as having more credibility than most, says its complete nonsense, so someone is talking complete toshand i would wager that it is the enemies of City in the press.

I have a strange sense of deja vu here but no matter.

I believe LoveCity is City Watch on Twitter, whose very regular updates on news about City to over 36,000 are about as comprehensive as it gets when covering City news.

Tolmie may well be correct in this instance but LoveCity is correct when he says that Di Marzio is a very well informed journalist.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.