Discussion: Potential Pellegrini Replacements {merged}

• Thread starter Deleted member 58678
  • Start date
Re: Ancelotti to City??

Sorry but I'm more inclined to believe Di Marzio than Tolmie.

I expect we're chatting to a lot of managers - Simeone, Ancelotti, Guardiola, Klopp etc - just in case we decide to dispense with Pellegrini.

Ancelotti's agent has gone public with our chats so that he can drum up some competing interest to strengthen his negotiating hand, and obviously we're going to deny this to anyone who asks because Pellegrini is still in charge.

OB1 said:
robbieh said:
It is amazing how much fans place on getting the best players in and yet are quite content to hang on to a B+ manager.

Jordan Henderson... not good enough
Jack Wilshere......The same

Only Bale, Pogba and Koke are deemed good enough for City these days. And quite rightly as we have had our fill of the Rodwell's, Sinclair etc

Yet when one of the top 5 managers in the world becomes available ie Ancelotti people are saying no, lets hang on to dear old Manuel. Madness.

Ancelotti may be one of the top 5 managers in the world in your opinion but not everyone may share that opinion. Also, if you had not spotted it, our club's criteria for their manager does not apply to every manager in the world's top 5; otherwise we might well have Mourinho as our manager.
Indeed, personally I think sacking Pellegrini and bringing in Ancelotti would be horrible business. We'd cement ourselves forevermore as a sacking club - big turn off to the truly elite managers when they come around - and considering we already have a Premier League champion and Champions League semi-finalist (with a comparatively weak club) as our manager, is Ancelotti really that good that we simply have to hire him? Survived 2 seasons at Chelsea and (probably) Real Madrid...

OB1 said:
robbieh said:
It is amazing how much fans place on getting the best players in and yet are quite content to hang on to a B+ manager.

Jordan Henderson... not good enough
Jack Wilshere......The same

Only Bale, Pogba and Koke are deemed good enough for City these days. And quite rightly as we have had our fill of the Rodwell's, Sinclair etc

Yet when one of the top 5 managers in the world becomes available ie Ancelotti people are saying no, lets hang on to dear old Manuel. Madness.

Ancelotti may be one of the top 5 managers in the world in your opinion but not everyone may share that opinion. Also, if you had not spotted it, our club's criteria for their manager does not apply to every manager in the world's top 5; otherwise we might well have Mourinho as our manager.

There is a lot of talk about this but how real it is I don't know. It's quite handy when turned down by Mourinho twice I believe to say "actually Jose doesn't fit our criteria". I would think we are a lot more pragmatic so that if we decide to dispense with Pellegrini we don't rule out a 3 time champion league winner just because of some criteria. And Anceloti's sides do play better football than Mou's and Simeone's.

OB1 said:
The concern over potential lack of authority if the manager does not sign an extension is a legitimate one as are similar fears about him signing an extension that everyone sees as a smokescreen. Not sure that an easy answer exists though. You can sack the manager but where does that get you if you have someone who is just then viewed as a caretaker. Benitez won a European trophy as a caretaker.

A lot depends on the attitude of the players and that does concern me.

Maybe the DoF as to step in and make it crystal clear to the players that anyone thinking they can slack off because the manager has not got a contract extension will find themselves also in the last year of their contract?

I disagree. I think it's almost entirely irrelevant whether Pellegrini gets a new contract or not in terms of his authority in and around the players. There's so many other factors involved that for me the worst thing we could do would be to give Pellegrini a dead rubber new contract ala Mancini, then have to pay him off and sack him 12 months later. If the club is working towards a plan which involves a new manager coming in in the summer of 2016, then I would suggest that they will stick to that and forget all notions of a new contract for Manuel.

As for Ancelotti, like him a lot and rate him highly. But would under no circumstances be sacking Pellegrini this summer for him. Thankfully not for the first time I imagine i'm in tune with the thinking at board level on this one. ;)

Pellegrini wont be here next season imo, cant see him surviving due to the poor performance of current season. Khaldoon is quite clear in interviews with the club after the seasons end, always talks "progress" each season. Well we've gone backwards in both domestic cups & lost to poor teams in both (Newc didn't even play 1st string), there was no excuse for the Mboro loss, we were lucky to get past Sheff W in the previous round. We've turned up for what equates to about 1 month this season in the PL. Champions League about the same, but we had a chance to learn from last season and MP didn't by playing Milner & Fernando in a 2 man CM against the worlds best midfield (arguably).

All well and good saying, 'the transfers have been poor', but our squad is as good as anyone's in the PL, and first xi is the best.

Sorry went off a bit, fact is Ancelotti is a world class manager, Pellegrini is not, and if City want to take the next step to the elite stage they need to appt someone like Ancelotti. He has a proven track record of success.

Mister Appointment said:
As for Ancelotti, like him a lot and rate him highly. But would under no circumstances be sacking Pellegrini this summer for him. Thankfully not for the first time I imagine i'm in tune with the thinking at board level on this one. ;)

Are things really that bad?

Understand the owners are impatient for results and trophies given the massive investment they put in to the club. But I feel MP would be given 1 more season to right the ship. CA is a great manager. He does well with big teams especially those with big egos. Madrid was a wreck internally under last days of mourinho but he managed smooth things over and won over the dressing room. Plus he got unfair criticism before joining Chelsea like not being able to adapt to English football but he win the double in his first season. So the guy can handle pressure and expectations. But then working under bersculoni in Milan, he probably seen the worst.

Daily Star: City have denied reports that they have opened talks with Carlo Ancelotti about taking over at the Etihad.

TCIB said:
spanishblue said:
IMO they are both to old we need younger blood and sitting on our thumbs waiting for Pep is not the answer, we may already have the future within our ranks. But as with some of our academy players we may lose him

He is only 55 bud, i think Mourinho is 53.

Cheers thought he was older, management eh :-)

Definitely better than MP.

Has managed the biggest of clubs and players and is incredibly respected throughout the game.

Knows how to win the CL and the owners clearly want that trophy.

I'd be very very surprised if we weren't sniffing around.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.