Do you believe in Hughes ability to succeed here?

Pam said:
I suppose if we can maintain the good home form next season and significant improve when we're away, then top five would not be out of the question.

Theres the optamism i can see coming back in us blues :)
I honestly think Hughes will be good for us. The UEFA run has been great but i think it has been one of the most enjoyable home seasons for a long time. Just a shame ive wasted about £700 this season watching us get beat away

I don't think we can call it either way from where we are to be honest. He managed Wales and Blackburn and took them as far as they were ever likely to go given their size/resource. And that never really meant any more than respectable Premier League finishes, good cup runs and the odd shock for Wales vs Italy.

Even the best managers had to start from somewhere. And I very much doubt any manager in the world could have done more with Wales and Blackburn than Hughes did. So I think judging him on not winning trophies with those two sides is quite frankly ludicrous.

That said, City represent a very different proposition to the situations he has previously been in (and excelled in). The only way we will find out is if he gets a fair shot at. It takes a lot more than just money to become a top side. It requires a change in ethos, culture and mentality. We've had 30 years of failure. That mentality lies very deep within the club in all facets. Money or no money, it would take any manager a good few years to reverse that culture. So I believe its imperative that Hughes gets an absolute minimum of 2 years, but ideally 3, before we can start judging his ability to achieve the kind of success the fans and owners want.

In the meantime, things like money spent, premier league position this year and other such things are not good barometers of Hughes' ability to succeed. We are deep in transition and you expect things to be rocky while that happens. You can't turn fat into muscle. You have to invest in muscle whilst cutting out the fat - only after a sustained period of this will you come out looking lean. What i'm saying is spending a ton of money in 6 months doesn't reverse the ills of 30 years.

Nixon_The_Bike_Thief said:
whitefield_blue said:
Just a shame ive wasted about £700 this season watching us get beat away

Thats not a waste Whitefield ! Thats just City's way of keeping it real ;o)

Yeah i retract my previous comment. Im going to Arsenal on saturday with all the optamism but knowing deep down that we probably wont get a thing from the game. Supporting City is the fun part. Winning is a bonus ;)

Project said:
I don't think we can call it either way from where we are to be honest. He managed Wales and Blackburn and took them as far as they were ever likely to go given their size/resource. And that never really meant any more than respectable Premier League finishes, good cup runs and the odd shock for Wales vs Italy.

Even the best managers had to start from somewhere. And I very much doubt any manager in the world could have done more with Wales and Blackburn than Hughes did. So I think judging him on not winning trophies with those two sides is quite frankly ludicrous.

That said, City represent a very different proposition to the situations he has previously been in (and excelled in). The only way we will find out is if he gets a fair shot at. It takes a lot more than just money to become a top side. It requires a change in ethos, culture and mentality. We've had 30 years of failure. That mentality lies very deep within the club in all facets. Money or no money, it would take any manager a good few years to reverse that culture. So I believe its imperative that Hughes gets an absolute minimum of 2 years, but ideally 3, before we can start judging his ability to achieve the kind of success the fans and owners want.

In the meantime, things like money spent, premier league position this year and other suchs things are not good barometers of Hughes' ability to succeed. We are deep in transition and you expect things to be rocky while that happens. You can't turn fat into muscle. You have to invest in muscle whilst cutting out the fat - only after a sustained period of this will you come out looking lean. What i'm saying is spending a ton of money in 6 months doesn't reverse the ills of 30 years.[/quote

Good post mate
One of the players did say in Jan that we need 3 transfer windows

Mark Hughes is a great premiership manager who brings the best out of his players, he knows who to sign e.g : DeJong, Zab, Robinho, Bridge and bellamy. But is he the mangaer who will attract the likes of Kaka, Villa etc ?. We must keep him for stability but i also believ we should bring in an experienced right hand man who will attract and has already coached some of the best players in the world.

Under hughes you konw we will be safe in the league and fight for a cup.

But in the long run i think we need a jose mourinho or an arsene wenger to really fight for the league and a number of domestic and european trophies.

Project said:

In the meantime, things like money spent, premier league position this year and other such things are not good barometers of Hughes' ability to succeed. We are deep in transition and you expect things to be rocky while that happens. You can't turn fat into muscle. You have to invest in muscle whilst cutting out the fat - only after a sustained period of this will you come out looking lean. What i'm saying is spending a ton of money in 6 months doesn't reverse the ills of 30 years.

That is the most cogent analysis of City and Hughes that I have read on here in a long time. Especially like the fat/muscle/cutting/lean stuff. Good analogy. Agree totally.

Failing Morinho or hiddink class managers saying the want the job (as mourinho is begging for the utd job I think we can rule him out) Is there really any one out there much better than Hughes? O'neill is ok but prob wont leave villa and MOyes has done well as Everton and would surely relish managing 'The project', but is he really much different. Another season I say with a full team built by Hughes to judge him fairly?

Pam said:
And I tend to agree with 5. I don't think Hughes has entirely lost the small time mentality he had to have when he was at Blackburn. I'm still annoyed about the RSC thing as well, though possibly not as annoyed as the Blackburn Rovers board are likely to be on that score.

Is that the team who has actually won the Premier League and has consistently out performed us when both have been in the Premiership?

The main trouble with our club at the moment is those arrogant fans like yourself who seem to believe that because of the money we should be winning the Premiership next year. Just like those arrogant fans who follow the rags and Cheslski.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.