Do You Fondly Remember Your First Pair Of Football Boots?

Pair of Gola's with screw studs. Blue ones. Used to score shitloads.

I tried all the fancy predator types and never got used to them and rolled my ankles countless times

Winfields for me ,and when my great uncle died my mam brought these ankle high, moulded stud jobs that had a wooden toe cap.
I clattered some lad in them at games and got sent off,mum and dad were pissed off Woolies didn't sell rugby boots when I took up league,but even they look like carpet slippers now.

50+ years ago,I was picked for Manchester BoysU/15.My dad said "come saturday we will go into townfor a new pair of boots".Saturday lunch we went to town,Freeman,Hardy & Willis in piccadilly.Adidas was the choice,plastic sole,screw-in studs.my dad thought he was going to buy me the usual Stanley Matthews type boot.My dad went a little pale as he went to pay."We will pick them up after the City game" he said as we walked out,"no use carrying them all afternoon".On the 76 bus to Maine Road he said he wasn't feeling to good and was going home(Woodhouse Park) but,would see me after the game at the the bus depot on Princess Road.All went to plan,we met up,and off to town for the boots.Years later,found out,he went home and he and me mam put together the rent,coal and what ever else was needed for my boots.Never knew how much they had put themselves out.Thanks Dad,Thanks Mum.When your a kid you don't know the half of what goes on.

Not quite football boots. Left Chorlton for Leeds in about 72. Parents were skint at the time and I was given a pair of hand me down boots from a cousin. Sadly they were rugby boots. After the game some twat kept laughing at me and kicking the ball in my back. New kid, Manc accent. After the third blow to my my back, asked him to stop.He did it again, so clocked him one, and no more trouble. Parents got called in to see the headmaster, thought I was a thug.The only reason I was not expelled was I had passed my Eleven Plus. Mentally scarred from all the piss taking.

Edit.. At Oswald Road we all wore shorts..turned up in shorts on my first day, again much mirth as everyone had long trousers. Not a happy child in Farsley West Yokshire.

To be honest no I dont fondly remember my first pair of football boots. My grandad gave them to me when I was in junior school in 1968. For some reason the other kids never won a tackle against me and always seem to chicken out.
I wish now I had kept them !

20220122_090741.jpg

remember yes, fondly no, bought by my mum in a sale I guess, had "George Best" written on the side. She didn't really follow football my mum :/

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.