Do you want the glory hunters/tourists?

we've hardly won a fucking match for thirty odd years and you lot are talking about glory hunting!!

It'd be funny if ye were just taking the piss. As it is, it's just sad

S.E.H said:
If you can say that your 1st City match was before Thaksin came along, then I dont think you can be classified as a glory hunter. Just saying.

Whats the point of building a 60,000 capacity stadium if you dont want the glory hunters/tourists coming!

We have got to become profitable and this will only be achievable by attracting such fans etc!!

We cant be the worlds biggest club with 47,000 fans!!!

We do not have to forget our roots to achieve this goal!!

Grand Master Ram Rod said:
With all these new plans, the money we have and possible success we're gonna get, we're obviously gonna get some new fans/tourists/glory hunters. Do you want them?

Personally I don't! I don't want to end up like that scum down the road.

If you wanna support City, you need a connection - come from Manchester or near by, family member supporting them, etc.. And that goes for every club.

Don't get me wrong I'm very grateful for everything the owners have done for us and we really look like we are heading in the right direction, it all seems too good to be true tbh, but I just can't be doing with the tourists/glory hunters we'll attract, especially when it could also mean that the proper fans might miss games cos of them too.

Tin hat on.

If they pays their money.................

I honestly don't know why it would bother anyone. It doesn't matter.

Fowlers Penalty Miss said:
I don't see a problem with glory hunters or tourists.

I started supporting City in the mid 60's as a young lad, and the next decade was successful, so was I a glory hunter? I had to start somewhere, and choosing City at the time seemed a good idea. I probably was a glory hunter, as kids always start to follow the successful clubs, but I became a blue. The point is, would I be a blue if City had been shit at the time?

I don't know, but it is typical that as a young child, I supported a team that won things.

Until recently, I worked at Manchester Airport, and I would see and speak to people from all corners of the earth who had come to watch United, and Liverpool as well.

They usually had their kids with them, and they were always excited and enthused, not only about coming to Manchester, but also by giving their kids a real treat and getting them half way around the world so they could see their idols in action.

They may have been staying in a hotel that was nowhere near Old Trafford, but I would make a detour and drive past the ground, and their reactions were amazing. And I enjoyed doing it, if I'm being honest.

The point is, I think it would be great if, in a few years time, families have travelled half way around the world to come and watch City.

Am I supposed to tell them to piss off because they don't come from Manchester? No way, I will be full of pride that they will have come to Manchester, to watch our team, in a City I am proud to say I come from.

If I find myself sitting next to a family that has travelled all the way from the USA, or Japan, or Australia, because their youngest son, or daughter, is mad about City, well, there's nothing wrong with that in my book.

They are City fans, you see, and they have come to watch their team for the first time, just like I did in 1967, only they live further away than most of us.

Bang on and talking from the real world.. Anyone who disagrees needs to get out more (and I don't mean once a week to watch City).

*Suit of armour at the ready*

mancunial said:
i have stood on the kippax in the late sixties early seventies with a crowd of 68,000 with a 95% home support so if you think all those people who were there at that time some have passed away some have moved on but they have had offspring who have without doubt become city fans, if you had a census on the amount of city fans in this country and abroad it would probably very surprising? a lot of fans are waiting for city to take off and thoe they have not been would be willing to do so when it happens? one thing about this ignorant media we have to live with is the fact they havn,t got a clue how big our suspended fan base really is? if we keep on purchasing our season tickets then i can see no problem who comes to fill the rest of the seats.

Agree with the above post and this is prob one of the reasons why our owners chose us! They did the homework and relaise we were the Sleeping Giant.

Wrighty Wrexham said:
S.E.H said:
If you can say that your 1st City match was before Thaksin came along, then I dont think you can be classified as a glory hunter. Just saying.

Whats the point of building a 60,000 capacity stadium if you dont want the glory hunters/tourists coming!

We have got to become profitable and this will only be achievable by attracting such fans etc!!

We cant be the worlds biggest club with 47,000 fans!!!

We do not have to forget our roots to achieve this goal!!

There are enough lapsed City fans out there to easily fill a 60,000 seater stadium providing tickets are reasonably priced and there's enough attractiveness about the club and the team to entice them back into going to games.

I honestly don't have a problem with where our fans come from but I'd still like to see a predominantly local-ish support at our games, regardless of what happens in the future. We've a fair few out-of-town and out-of-country fans and have done for a long time, but I don't have an issue with that because you can hardly accuse them of glory-hunting when we've won nothing for 34 years and they're obviously supporting City for the right reasons.

I will also add that a glory-hunter doesn't necessarily need to be a non-local fan - it's extremely likely that over the next few years we're going to attract Mancunians to our club that have had no previous interest in City should we have any degree of success and to be honest that doesn't sit right with me. At the CC Semi-final second leg at The Swamp I was sat next to a group of blokes from Peterborough - one of them hadn't missed a game, home or away, for 15 years - and their knowledge of the club was immense. Give me the lads from Peterborough who were there when we were shit any day of the week over some bandwagon-jumping Manc with no previous interest in our club.

Obviously with the money and the success that will un-doubtedly come, we will attract this type of fan but as long as the club stays true too it's roots and we retain the fan base by keeping prices for season tickets, matchday tickets etc at the level we have always been at. I can't see why we won't have the majority of the TRUE fans we have other the past few years!

meldrew said:
Obviously with the money and the success that will un-doubtedly come, we will attract this type of fan but as long as the club stays true too it's roots and we retain the fan base by keeping prices for season tickets, matchday tickets etc at the level we have always been at. I can't see why we won't have the majority of the TRUE fans we have other the past few years!

Exactly. We can maintain a majority of local-ish support yet still raise the global profile of the club. What I'd hate to see are the kind of numbers of non-local fans that the Rags get at their games. But for all our digs at the Rags down the years, what actually shocked me more was when I went to Chelsea the other week - I'd not been since 1993, and I couldn't believe just how many tourists and glory-hunters there were. Someone made the point earlier in this thread that much of their hardcore support had been priced out of going and replaced with a large number of new-breed fans. We really need to make sure that the same thing doesn't happen to us on that scale. There's no reason why it should providing we keep ticket prices reasonable.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.