Dogs/Puppies

Dogs CAN be left alone for a few hours, it's actually good to do this early on so they get used to it. If you have someone who can come in regularly to check up on them and spend half an hour checking they're fine (food, water, quick wee) they soon adapt, and there might be someone local offering this as a service. As long as they have a routine of a quick morning walk and a longer evening walk in addition to the visit there'd be no problem (for a small dog at least, bigger dogs would need a walk during the day too). Expect your puppy to wreck your house at times though, and I'm not keen on using cages although some people I know say their dog was fine in them. In a flat, though, the neighbours won't be keen as the dog will bark, or worse, cry.

We got a dog last year but I am able to WFH so he is not left. Dogs should not be left alone regularly but some breeds will tolerate it more than others. We used to have a Red Setter and then a lab and they were left 8am-4pm every day and were happy dogs and didn't mind it, maybe we were lucky. I know the dog I have now cant be left for 8 minutes never mind 8 hours.

A small one bed flat wouldn't be good for a dog as large as a Lab mate.
Way too long alone for any pup or adult dog too.

The dog would chew the flat up left alone for that length of time, and if he's barking all day he's going to drive the neighbours mad. One other thing, you will soon get fed up getting home from work, and your first job is to clean up the shit and piss. Wouldn't recommend mate.

Unless you have a friend, relative or neighbour who could help out weekdays?

Sorry but as a breeder, we would never sell to anyone who works 8-5 with no provision to have someone take the dog for a few hours or sit with the dog and walk it.
What sort of dogs do you breed?

My last 2 dogs were regularly left for 8 hours but that was after i'd had them for years. I've even gone on holiday and left them at home with the neighbours popping in throughout the day and taking them out. Much less stressful than putting them in kennels.
You simply cannot do this with a puppy or new dog.

My last 2 dogs were regularly left for 8 hours but that was after i'd had them for years. I've even gone on holiday and left them at home with the neighbours popping in throughout the day and taking them out. Much less stressful than putting them in kennels.
You simply cannot do this with a puppy or new dog.
I suppose a lot depends on the space also. If you have a huge secure garden and a decent weatherproof kennel that's maybe different to leaving a dog in a flat all day.

I suppose a lot depends on the space also. If you have a huge secure garden and a decent weatherproof kennel that's maybe different to leaving a dog in a flat all day.

We have 4, a big fully enclosed garden and a weatherproof side under which we have a kennel but will still only do a maximum of 4 hours for them alone. Anymore and we make a plan.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.