Dogs/Puppies

Glad to see so many sensible comments re the dog being left on its own for 8-9 hours a day. Dogs are social animals, they thrive on company. Plus, there's the exercise element as well. Without regular exercise, the dog will become listless, and possibly moody. Do not get a dog OP, please.

So single people are not allowed to adopt dogs I Imagine from the comments above.

I don't own a dog and won't until I retire, however there is loads of hypocrisy within the dog owning community.

Loads of owners who wouldn't leave a dog for eight hours because it's cruel.

Won't see these activities in the same way.

Giving the dog human food not suitable for it (basically what ever is left on their plate after a meal)
Make the dog have no interaction with other dogs so it becomes a (oh they don't like other dogs) dog
Going out for a half hour walk on the road when their breed requires two 2 hour fast strenuous walks a day 10+ miles.
(Most owners under excersise their dogs)
Humanise the dog out of them. Dogs are happiest when they are being dogs many owners forget this.
Have no discipline/control over their dog, putting it's safety at risk just as much as others.

Oh and the most common form of negligence
Walking on a busy road with your dog off the lead. Yes I know you have the most well trained dog in the world, yes I know it can cook you breakfast and it can clean your house you are both so in tune with each other, but their will be one thing that will make your dog go into chase mode and just because the odds of encountering it are small doesn't mean they are not out there. Walk them on a long lead. No dog has to be more than 10 feet away from you on a road and all leads can accommodate that.

I agree if you've got an old dog that moves slower than a slug on a sleeping pill then you could probably forget the lead.

I wouldn't do it in your situation OP but I am sure there will be some breeds out there that are more suited to your situation.

Retired greyhounds off the top of my head, they are usually kept in a crate for 20+ hours a day alone, so your set up doesn't sound too bad.

Hello everyone.

I am planning to adopt a puppy now that I have moved to a new place. I used to own a Labrador retriever but that was a decade back. I am looking for suggestions from fellow blues. I work from 8.00 to 5.00 and since I don't have a significant other, the puppy will be staying alone. Do Labradors have problems with that or should I look for a different breed? Also, which breeds are okay with not so big spaces as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment which is fairly small. I must add that currently I work from home but I need to prepare just in case my company wants me to start working from the office.

Any suggestions?
DO NOT DO IT.

Leaving a puppy alone all day is tantamount to abuse if you ask me.

Good luck,

I would one day love to own a dog, they're awesome. There is actually no better time to bring up a puppy if you are WFH and going on staycations etc.

In hindsight I should have got one ahead of lockdown. Before lockdown, being in the office 5 days a week and going to the gym after was preventing me from having a dog. I couldn't leave one at home all day, was thinking when I'm older and stop hitting the gym I will get one.

If WFH now becomes a long term approach it will make ownership a real possibility.

I've never owned a dog but I am always getting mithered for one, seems like everyone has one these days makes you wonder what sort of jobs they are doing. I do 9-1730 with about 45 mins each way commute (during non covid times)

Ive got one and I live on my own but he is never alone for more than 4 hours. I do 5 on and 4 off, 10 hour shifts which really turn out to be 9hrs most of the time. For 4 days there is no issue. When Im working evening shifts he goes to my mental ladyfriends house and when Im days she gets him half way through my shift or one of my mates do. It is a bit of a faff but this is the level of faff you have to put in otherwise it isnt right to own a dog if youre by yourself and working. He is walked for 3 hours a day and gets maximum attention because they are social pack animals and need it.
What you put it in is what you get out with dogs, and it is a lot of work. Pups need intensive, consistent training to get them well behaved and just how much work that takes should never be underestimated.
Repeating other posters here but the OPs personal circumstances just dont lend themselves to this.

Our lab is on a weight loss programme as of 9.00 tomorrow morning. Having his balls off. Keeps shagging everything, trying to fight everything and needs calming down. Handsome looking dog though but a right handfull. To be fair he probably needs properly training, a few of his brothers and sisters are now trained to the gun but unfortunatly we dont move in those circles.
Thankfully they don't do that to young men, I would be singing like the Bee Gees by now

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.