Donald Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, it's not something I fully agree with.

However the argument against the electoral system goes like this:

There are 5 areas. In four of the areas live 5 people each. In 1 area lives 100 people. The area with the most people creates the most wealth for all areas but in an election is over-ruled by the areas with the least people.

But is that not addressed because the states with higher populations get more electoral college votes - specifically to reflect the higher population - so you example is not valid

Perhaps I am mistaken?

But is that not addressed because the states with higher populations get more electoral college votes - specifically to reflect the higher population - so you example is not valid

Perhaps I am mistaken?
The states with higher populations get less electoral college votes relative to their populations than those with smaller populations.

The states with higher populations get less electoral college votes relative to their populations than those with smaller populations.

Thanks - so they get more but it is not fully reflecting the population difference - I did not know that - I assumed (dangerous I know) it was sort of pro rata

Thanks - so they get more but it is not fully reflecting the population difference - I did not know that - I assumed (dangerous I know) it was sort of pro rata
It was consciously designed that way to militate against the larger, more populous states in the north east having the whip hand over the smaller, less powerful ones in the south and middle. Like many laudable plans in history it has outlived its useful purpose and in my view has the potential to be a significant hindrance to cohesion in the Union going forward.

Has Trump got a dose of the hanging chads?

From what I've gleaned about American elections, they seem to have different ways of voting in different states. Some have electronic touch screen stuff, others have cards with punch card arrangement, others have a simple paper and put yer X on there, and down in Arizona they have smoke signals still!

Perhaps I am mistaken?

Each state gets a minimum of three electoral votes, regardless of population, which gives low-population states a disproportionate vote share. By giving more per capita voting power to the less populated states, the Electoral College gives extra power to voters in those states.

Again I have no opinion either way on which is better but the criticisms are explained much better here http://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...college-explained-presidential-elections-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.