Donald Trump

Still non the wiser as don't fully understand US politics. Are Congress likely to name him as an insurrectionist?
No. To be cleared by congress requires a two thirds majority. This court will rule that the same is true for naming him an insurrectionist. Thin majorities in both houses mean the threshold will never be reached.

It’s not so much the way the decision falls that’s important here, more how it falls.

I mentioned in my previous post on this case that I thought that if the SCOTUS were to overturn the Colorado decision then it would probably be on the basis of due process (or lack thereof). I thought they might set the bar at “criminal conviction relating to treason or insurrection”. I didn’t think they would set the bar based on a vote of Congress. That seems crazy to me. It feels like it’s letting the political legislative branch decide on an inherently judicial matter (though I’m no expert).

The argument about one state deciding who can be on a national election ballot feels very weak to me. States can already do this. Hypothetically, let’s say somebody who is running for President is convicted of a crime and given the death penalty under a specific states’ law. They can’t be on the ballot after they’ve been executed can they? So the state is deciding that.

You either want states to decide their own election process, and accept that candidates need to follow the rules in each state to be on that states ballot, or you just discard the pretence that these elections are state run and have them administered federally. This defensiveness paired with the idea it is a state’s right to administer its own election as it sees fit - regardless of how that impacts other states - seems like a huge contradiction. But I guess that’s exactly what the US is in a nutshell.
Irrelevant factoid. Dead people can be on the ballot!

Agree. Biden looks increasingly fragile and cognitively frail.
That report yesterday was electoral Kryptonite. And it will only get worse.
But, as has been asked on here, if not Biden, who?
Was watching One of the political you tube channels yesterday. They were all in agreement that whoever the Republicans put up v Biden (Except Trump) would win easily. Also whoever the Democrat’s put up (Except Biden) v Trump would also win easily.

Fuckin crazy.

He's brilliant and would be a far better candidate than Newsom who's treatment/Policies against the Homeless in California has been shocking.

Sadly as you say less than zero chance he'd get the job due to his sexuality
Apologies in advance for the crude gag...

Buttigieg has the bona fides to be a great POTUS for sure, but his elect-ability would be based more on where he puts his boner rather than his bona fides.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.