Donald Trump

Very true, however do you need 270 or just the most votes? And I've not seen any suggestion that Bob K is going to win any delegates.
A candidate needs 270 EC votes to become the next president outright, otherwise the House selects the president from the three candidates that receives the most EC votes.

As things stand, the House would most assuredly elect Trump in that unlikely scenario.

But it is worth noting that there a republican groups working to ensure Biden falls under the 270 threshold in the event Trump does not reach it himself for this specific outcome.

Most Republican entities are trying literally everything to get Trump back in office.

A candidate needs 270 EC votes to become the next president outright, otherwise the House selects the president from the three candidates that receives the most EC votes.

As things stand, the House would most assuredly elect Trump in that unlikely scenario.

But it is worth noting that there a republican groups working to ensure Biden falls under the 270 threshold in the event Trump does not reach it himself for this specific outcome.

Most Republican entities are trying literally everything to get Trump back in office.
Does a candidate have to get +50% of the vote to win?

Does a candidate have to get +50% of the vote to win?
A candidate must get 50%+1 of the electoral college (EC) votes to become president outright, which is 270 (of 538 electoral college delegates).

The EC is a broken system that desperately needs to be scrapped in favour of popular vote election, but that would unfortunately require a constitutional amendment, which we have already discussed is nigh on impossible at present (as it would first have to pass through congress by a two-thirds vote and then be ratified by three-fourths of state legislatures, or a national convention of delegates from each state, which is even less likely).

This is a quick summary of the US president election process.

US Presidential Election Process

electionsprocess-kids-1140x684-1.webp

270 EC votes has only ever failed to be achieved once, in the 1824 Presidential election, and the House ultimately voted to elect John Quincy Adams, based on the Twelth Ammendment which had been adopted 20 years earlier based on another election mess created by the original constitutional provision that elected the President and the Vice President separately (meaning you could have the president be a member of one party and the vice president a member of the opposition party, which in practice caused political havoc as partisanship ramped up).

This is a great podcast about the Electoral College, why it was created, the numerous problems with it in modern times, and why it hasn’t been changed in more detail than my explanation above, if you are interested in more of a deep dive.

I would say it is highly unlikely that could occur in the 2024 presidential election, but so many unprecedented events have occurred over the last decade or so that I think it would be stupid to make such a declaration, especially given the current electoral permutations and the republican plots to achieve that goal if Trump cannot win outright.

Last edited:
Is the Congress vote done by the current or future congress. i.e. If Democrats win the house, is it them, or the current Republicans, with their majority of 1??

Is the Congress vote done by the current or future congress. i.e. If Democrats win the house, is it them, or the current Republicans, with their majority of 1??
The vote is taken by the ‘lame duck’ current House roster.

Which means it is entirely possible (how ever improbable) that a scenario arises where the Democrats win back the House, hold the Senate, and Biden gets more votes than Trump in the election, but neither win the required number of electoral college votes based on the states they carried, and the lame duck Republican House elects Trump as the next President.

A more likely frightening scenario, though, based on where things stand now (which is actually very early and things can change substantially many times before November), is a repeat of 2000, except with the RNC and the Trump campaign contesting the elections results of multiple states based on narrow margins of victory for Biden and the most far-right Supreme Court in decades ultimately being tasked with ruling on who won which state (or, even possibly ruling that it is inconclusive and the House must decide along the process outlined in the Twelfth Amendment).

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.