Donald Trump

There may be someone here more knowledgeable on history of the Roman Church than I, but if I remember correctly many, many, many years ago priests weren't required to be unmarried. They could have wives and children.

The issue the Vatican ultimately had with that situation was priests were dying and leaving parish money and lands to their families. The Vatican found that unacceptable.

Became mandatory in the 11th century in western Europe with last married Pope being Adrian II a couple of hundred years before that I think. Some theological basis but as you say mostly about land and inheritance and avoiding priestly dynasties.

Catholic church currently accepts married Anglican priests/bishops who convert to Catholicism into the priesthood. At some point the crisis in the number of clergy will mean some will push for a change and they'll be a massive bun fight and possibly some form of schism.

Became mandatory in the 11th century in western Europe with last married Pope being Adrian II a couple of hundred years before that I think. Some theological basis but as you say mostly about land and inheritance and avoiding priestly dynasties.

Catholic church currently accepts married Anglican priests/bishops who convert to Catholicism into the priesthood. At some point the crisis in the number of clergy will mean some will push for a change and they'll be a massive bun fight and possibly some form of schism.
Thank you. I was aware of them taking married Anglican priests who convert. The reason being, a friend at work had thought of becoming a priest when he was younger but was directed away from it because he was too "amorous."

Being the good mate I am, I tried to find a way for him to get in through the "backdoor" ,if you will, as he is married now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.