Dortmund Fans

Funny how Germans have the cheek to hate Bayern Munich. That club represents everything good about them as a nation, and in some ways about football in general (and no, I'm not referring to their Man Utd like marketing machine).

Fact is they were one of the first clubs in Europe to embrace internationalism. In the 20s they built one of the best sides of the time. They employed foreign coaches and players to achieve it. That was revolutionary thinking at the time. It was done under a Jewish chairman. In 1932 they were Champions of Germany. That didn't last long.

From 1933 onwards the club was persecuted by the Nazis and fell into rapid decline, as their bourgeois, internationalist,Bavarian and partially Jewish image was very much the anti-Christ to the Nazis. The chairman Landauer escaped to Switzerland. When the club played a friendly there all players and officials publically greeted Landauer in defiance of the regime.

After the war the club rebuilt itself on the back of its own brilliant youth, and by the 1960s was back at the top of the German and the European game where they have remained ever since. To their credit they never harp on, or try and cash in on those chapters in their history.

They are still committed to developing local youth and consistently turn out top players. They financially help out rivals (including Dortmund and their bitter local rivals 1860 included) when these hit hard times. They are run by ex-players who love the club, instead of by investors and suits.

To me that is a model club, not only in Germany, but anywhere in the world.

cleavers said:
Can you take the Dortmund v Munich argument to a site more appropriate please, this forum is supposed to be about Manchester City (and maybe their opponents).

Thanks.

There are plenty of threads on City. Its great to hear foreign fans views on German football. Why stop it.

Just me that didn't think the Dortmund fans were all that?

They certainly made a lot of noise but drums have no place in a football ground and they barely react to anything on the pitch, it's just continuous noise and very little in the way of songs. Just noise for the sake of it imho, although better than vuvuzelas I suppose.

franksinatra said:
cleavers said:
Can you take the Dortmund v Munich argument to a site more appropriate please, this forum is supposed to be about Manchester City (and maybe their opponents).

Thanks.

There are plenty of threads on City. Its great to hear foreign fans views on German football. Why stop it.
There's a non City football forum on here ;-) this one is city related, so theres no need for banter between dortmund and bayern.

MSP said:
German Rags

sorry cleavers :)
bayern ? lol no argument from me.

I lived over there for over 5 years, and whilst there I supported a german side home and away, the ground was only ever full when the local bayern fans turned out, german rags then and now, there is no doubt.

Soulboy said:
Watching the Dortmund fans last night was pure entertainment. The way they all sang in tune, bounced together, waved their scarves in unison.

It reminded me that the Germans always did do a good marching tune... a bit like Cabaret?

And every bit as orchestrated and lacking in spontaneity.

I prefer my football with more passion, humour and off-the-cuff.

You can keep the foreign clubs with their loudspeakers, and drums, and cheerleaders. If I wanted that I'd watch Wrestling.

All the Dortrmund fans were lacking was a step ladder and face-painting...

that's the fucking spirit.

cleavers said:

Thanks.

Well said, mate.

Those German supporters of football are scary because they are just fanatics.
Several hundreds of thousands,wearing uniforms of their supporting teams, turn up to watch games every week with drums and flags. They just create a kind of atmosphere that resembles the one created by the Germans who fanatically worshipped Hitler in the Nazi period.

cordonbleu said:
Several hundred of thousands,wearing uniforms of their supporting teams, turn up to watch games every week with drums and flags. They just create a kind of atmosphere that resembles the one created by the Germans who fanatically worshipped Hitler in the Nazi period.
Yeah right, or maybe they just support their football club the way they enjoy ?

cordonbleu said:
cleavers said:

Thanks.

Well said, mate.

Several hundreds of thousands,wearing uniforms of their supporting teams, turn up to watch games every week with drums and flags. They just create a kind of atmosphere that resembles the one created by the Germans who fanatically worshipped Hitler in the Nazi period.

what a bull

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.