Double-dip!

brand blue heavies said:
twinkletoes said:
The only part of the UK economy to show any improvement over the last three months is the financial services sector.

Not so.

Leyland truck have just posted record figures.

Both Bentley and Land rover are doing really well.

The fact that the FSF is doing well is a good indication that the finances behind the scenes are moving.

I do however agree that Osbourne has had his chance and now somebody with a pro stimulus view should take over. Osbourne has had a tough task following the shambles that was left in Labours spending wake and his ride on that wave had to come to an end sometime. He has done well implementing austerity in such tough times but has been too slow to stimulate the ailing economy with a much needed cut in VAT and more investment in housing and transport.

People have to understand that when a government comes into power they dont just change everything. Labour admitted that if they had won the election they would have done EXACTLY the same as the tories have done with regards to austerity. Like wise when Labour took over in 97 they continued the Tory financial spending plans cos they actually worked.

What is obvious to everyone now weather your labour or tory and SWEET FA to do with Thatcher is that we need stimulus at grass roots and that includes government building projects being given the green light,new affordable housing and better transport links. A fu@king tram to stockport would help!Bast@rds!

The official figures show that manufacturing shrunk over the last three months.

Argue with the ONS not me.

BoyBlue_1985 said:
twinkletoes said:
intheknow! said:
Actually no, we have built too few houses. That is one of our main problems. The population has surged, largely due to immigration, but the lack of affordable and social housing has meant that the cost of living (housing costs) in certain areas is astronomical. This has a big impact on the amount of money people have to spend. So less disposable income is bad for the economy because it means people have no money to spend and demand falls. A shortage of housing is also the reason why the housing benefit part of welfare expenditure is so high. A 1930's style house building boom would stimulate the construction sector, create job, increase Gov revenues, reduce homelessness and cut the housing benefit bill.

Spain was the extreme, due in part to the low interests rate set by the ECB, which were totally unsuitable for the Spanish economy. There is no reason we would be like Spain.

Last night itv news had a report about this subject. In the 1930's we dragged ourselves out of a situation similar to the current one by a mass house building programme.

I actually said we havent built any houses.

All the Poles helped to keep wage growth low and curbed inflation which in turn kept interest rates low.

I actually believe that Brown/Blair knew what mass immigration would do for the economy and used it as an economic stategy.

So they knew the economy was going to be completely fucked but smashed on with the borrowing anyway. They knew less about economy than my cat and he died 15 years ago

Nobody could forecast the economic armageddon that occured in 2008.

New Labour followed Keynesian principles but didnt follow one important rule, save in the good times,

brand blue heavies said:
twinkletoes said:
intheknow! said:
Actually no, we have built too few houses. That is one of our main problems. The population has surged, largely due to immigration, but the lack of affordable and social housing has meant that the cost of living (housing costs) in certain areas is astronomical. This has a big impact on the amount of money people have to spend. So less disposable income is bad for the economy because it means people have no money to spend and demand falls. A shortage of housing is also the reason why the housing benefit part of welfare expenditure is so high. A 1930's style house building boom would stimulate the construction sector, create job, increase Gov revenues, reduce homelessness and cut the housing benefit bill.

Spain was the extreme, due in part to the low interests rate set by the ECB, which were totally unsuitable for the Spanish economy. There is no reason we would be like Spain.

Last night itv news had a report about this subject. In the 1930's we dragged ourselves out of a situation similar to the current one by a mass house building programme.

All the Poles helped to keep wage growth low and curbed inflation which in turn kept interest rates low.

I actually believe that Brown/Blair knew what mass immigration would do for the economy and used it as an economic stategy.

This is precisely why they relaxed immigration.

Do you really believe this? If brown and Blair purposely did this to screw our own country then we are permanently fecked

twinkletoes said:
intheknow! said:
twinkletoes said:
We have had a large increase in immigration and no house building.

So we should all be thanking all the Poles that settled here.

Otherwise we would have a big housing bubble like Spain and the US and we would be double fucked.

It's not really about Poles. An urban myth has been allowed to develop that the largest number of immigrants is from Eastern Europe, it's not true, two thirds of immigration in the last 15 years has come from OUTSIDE the EU. EU immigration is good for the UK.

Immigration is not the problem, Osborne's economic policies are. However you say that keeping wages low is good, that's not actually the full picture. Keeping wages low means that the Government has to subsidise low earners via tax credits and housing benefit payments because they do not earn enough to meet their needs. This is part of the Government welfare spending that is taken from general taxation. It's a scandal that a family with two earners working fulltime still, but earning a low wage, need Government subsidy. To think that only 25 years ago that was unheard of. A man, at one time could support himself and a family on one wage.

Just to add, the UK needs immigration. Blair and Brown were on the right path. We are an ageing society and without immigrants and a rising birthrate we would have a demographic timebomb. We would not be able to afford pensions and pensioner entitlements.

twinkletoes said:
brand blue heavies said:
twinkletoes said:
The only part of the UK economy to show any improvement over the last three months is the financial services sector.

Not so.

Leyland truck have just posted record figures.

Both Bentley and Land rover are doing really well.

The fact that the FSF is doing well is a good indication that the finances behind the scenes are moving.

I do however agree that Osbourne has had his chance and now somebody with a pro stimulus view should take over. Osbourne has had a tough task following the shambles that was left in Labours spending wake and his ride on that wave had to come to an end sometime. He has done well implementing austerity in such tough times but has been too slow to stimulate the ailing economy with a much needed cut in VAT and more investment in housing and transport.

People have to understand that when a government comes into power they dont just change everything. Labour admitted that if they had won the election they would have done EXACTLY the same as the tories have done with regards to austerity. Like wise when Labour took over in 97 they continued the Tory financial spending plans cos they actually worked.

What is obvious to everyone now weather your labour or tory and SWEET FA to do with Thatcher is that we need stimulus at grass roots and that includes government building projects being given the green light,new affordable housing and better transport links. A fu@king tram to stockport would help!Bast@rds!

The official figures show that manufacturing shrunk over the last three months.

Argue with the ONS not me.

Manufacturing is such a broad base and is one industry that in one region can be booming and another rubbish. You stated that the FSF was the only sector to improve over the past three months which sector wise might be the case but it also alludes to a grim picture of overall trade when in fact some large businesses are doing well(leyland trucks,bentley etc) whereas a lot of the building trade is struggling.

intheknow! said:
twinkletoes said:
intheknow! said:

It's not really about Poles. An urban myth has been allowed to develop that the largest number of immigrants is from Eastern Europe, it's not true, two thirds of immigration in the last 15 years has come from OUTSIDE the EU. EU immigration is good for the UK.

Immigration is not the problem, Osborne's economic policies are. However you say that keeping wages low is good, that's not actually the full picture. Keeping wages low means that the Government has to subsidise low earners via tax credits and housing benefit payments because they do not earn enough to meet their needs. This is part of the Government welfare spending that is taken from general taxation. It's a scandal that a family with two earners working fulltime still, but earning a low wage, need Government subsidy. To think that only 25 years ago that was unheard of. A man, at one time could support himself and a family on one wage.

Just to add, the UK needs immigration. Blair and Brown were on the right path. We are an ageing society and without immigrants and a rising birthrate we would have a demographic timebomb. We would not be able to afford pensions and pensioner entitlements.

You seem to think I am against immigration and I dont know why.

I have just stated that New Labour used immigration as an economic tool to help the economy which has proved to be right.

It may not have been fair on UK citizens though.

Ronnie the Rep said:
brand blue heavies said:
twinkletoes said:

This is precisely why they relaxed immigration.

Do you really believe this? If brown and Blair purposely did this to screw our own country then we are permanently fecked

They didn`t do it to screw the country but it was an easy way to keep costs down by letting immigrants in to do the work on lower wages,keeping costs down which in turn kept rates down. It also stimulated the economy which was driving the housing market through the roof. I cant back this up with solid proof but i`m pretty sure i`ve read it somewhere that this was there plan.

brooklandsblue2.0 said:
The thing is with this recession is that most people are not really feeling the pinch, infact many people have never had it so good. As a friend recently exclaimed to me when speaking on this subject "people in Weaste are sniffing cocaine" - Ok, maybe thats not the most scientific way of measuring things but it does make you think.....

So it's harder to get money from the banks so if you are looking to set up a business or perhaps remortgage/obtain a mortgage, and I believe you have not had a pay rise and there have been cuts in your stonking pensions if you work in the public sector (boo hoo!).

However the real reason why most of us have not had any makor effects is that the interest rates have remained at an all time low meaning that we have not suffered huge increase in our mortgage repayments like people suffered in the 80's. If that was to happen then I think we'd all really start feeling the pinch.

bollocks bollocks.

It was worth stating twice.

twinkletoes said:
intheknow! said:
twinkletoes said:
We have had a large increase in immigration and no house building.

So we should all be thanking all the Poles that settled here.

Otherwise we would have a big housing bubble like Spain and the US and we would be double fucked.

The consequence of importing unskilled labour has certainly depressed wages and resulted in our home grown unskilled workforce being less than likely to gain meaningful employment. To suggest that this is somehow beneficial to our economy is preposterous, frankly. No progressive, vibrant economy would sanction this, Australia New Zealand Canada etc; all require immigrants but will not open their economies to all and sundry, skilled labour is a different matter entirely.
Ask anyone from the building trade if the arrival of thousands of workers has improved their own conditions; wages at the lower end of the spectrum have been depressed for some time now.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
city diehard said:
driven by an ideological case for smaller stae.

Whereas the previous government's policies were driven by an ideological case for a larger (and unaffordable) state.

The myth we cant afford stuff is now becoming the truth. Its been hammered home by the tory press so often that most people now believe this rubbish.

As i have said before we managed to found the NHS and the welfare state and rebuild vast swathes of the country when our GDP stood at 250% Our GDP is currently less than Germany and France and we have our own currency. The BoE has printed £450 billion of money already and it has had no effect on inflation, which sort of debunks the printing money leads to a Weimar republic scenario.

The tory austerity measures are ideological small state bunkum and it is unraveing before there eyes by the day. The state has to play a role in a normal society it just cannot leave everything to the market and hope for the best.

What the tories have made people think is that the country is like a household with the constant maxed out credit card rubbish. The country does not a credit card nor does it need one as the BoE have proved if money is runnng out just print some more.

What is needed is for that clown Osborne and his fuckwit toff mates to be booted out asap before they totally hand the country on a plate to there rich friends.

A little Keynesian economics would work just fine, invest in infrastructure, nationalise the railways and power producers and cut VAT. Jobs created and money in peoples pocket.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.