Douglas Luiz

Luiz is levels below what we need, this would be in the bracket of Sinclair and bony signings . Can’t see us signing him anyway to be honest

In all fairness, Bony was a lethal striker when we signed him, but then caught malaria and got over it but lost his spark and was a shadow of his former self thereafter.

When I remember him my first thought is always that he was a disaster, and he was, but on the basis of his form before we bought him he was worth the money.

In all fairness, Bony was a lethal striker when we signed him, but then caught malaria and got over it but lost his spark and was a shadow of his former self thereafter.

When I remember him my first thought is always that he was a disaster, and he was, but on the basis of his form before we bought him he was worth the money.
He was a lethal striker for 12 months in a very average career.

He was a lethal striker for 12 months in a very average career.

Nope, not at all. He was good or very good for the teams he played for before he got malaria.

3 years at Sparta Prague 2008-2011, 59 games and 22 goals
2 years at Vitesse 65 games and 46 goals
2 years at Swansea 54 games and 26 goals
Then he came to us, then he caught malaria, then his wheels fell off.
2 years with us, never seemed to get regular game time, 36 games and 6 goals then off on loan to Stoke.

My point being that when we bought him for £28M he was worth that or thereabouts.
I didn’t ever see the guy play before he got to play in the PL but I remember him as being a lethal striker for Swansea. For a big lump of a lad he had very quick feet, a great first touch and the kind of finishing that I wish Jesus had.
When we bought him most City fans were delighted, he’d caused us massive problems when we’d played against Swansea and his ability as a striker was respected by our support.

His problems started when he was with us and the steep decline (fell off a Cliff) was after his bout of malaria.
People who survive malaria can be not quite right for the rest of their lives, a bit like the long covid thing that the government isn’t talking about - it isn’t just a case of live or die, it’s a case of live or die or suffer organ damage that leaves you out of sorts forever.

IMO Wilf was a disaster for us but that’s not to say he wasn’t worth the shekels we stumped up when we bought him.

You do realise that people generally make full recoveries from Malaria when treated, don't you. This wasn't some poor guy living in the third world who couldn't afford any treatment

That he was supposedly shit ever after getting Malaria is not because of the Malaria - it's because he was shite

You do realise that people generally make full recoveries from Malaria when treated, don't you. This wasn't some poor guy living in the third world who couldn't afford any treatment

That he was supposedly shit ever after getting Malaria is not because of the Malaria - it's because he was shite

Yep, a lot of people do make a full recovery from Malaria but ‘you do realise’ that some people die or don’t make a full recovery despite the very best of treatment, don’t you?

Even the anti-malaria treatments that were, up until quite recently, in common use, can cause lifelong issues. Hence the case of many British soldiers suing the MOD because of the issues suffered for life after serving in the tropics.
Apart from organ damage, malaria and it’s treatments can cause mental disabilities that impair speed of though - and speed of thought is essential for a striker.

I’m not trying to champion the Bony cause, I’ve said that he was a disaster for us and I’ve also listed sufficient facts to demonstrate that the price we paid was about right given how good he’d been up until that point in his career.

And then you step in with your wonderfully reasoned expert view that “he was shite” - with that level of blunt intellect I‘m kind of guessing you might have had Malaria yourself at some point.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.