download advice

eshiers1 said:
Virgin

and its now 20kb/s

so its slowed :(

Have you been downloading a lot of torrent ?, because Virgin are well known for bandwidth throtteling (cutting your speed right back) bittorrent traffic of heavey users.

Try clicking the randomise port button (to change the number), then click apply, then close down microtorrent (Then turn it back on if you don't do the underlinded). Turn your pc of and turn the power of to the modem/router (the box you plug into the cabel line). Then wait a couple of minutes and turn it all back on including microtorrent.

You dont really have to do the underlined as i doubt it will work but if you fancey your chances it might help a bit.

Actually i've just though in microtorrent you should get somthing like this

Do you get that little green circle with the tick.

Challenger1978 said:
eshiers1 said:
Virgin

and its now 20kb/s

so its slowed :(

Have you been downloading a lot of torrent ?, because Virgin are well known for bandwidth throtteling (cutting your speed right back) bittorrent traffic of heavey users.

Try clicking the randomise port button (to change the number), then click apply, then close down microtorrent (Then turn it back on if you don't do the underlinded). Turn your pc of and turn the power of to the modem/router (the box you plug into the cabel line). Then wait a couple of minutes and turn it all back on including microtorrent.

You dont really have to do the underlined as i doubt it will work but if you fancey your chances it might help a bit.

Actually i've just though in microtorrent you should get somthing like this

Do you get that little green circle with the tick.

no...i get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark

its currently downloading my 5 individual ones at a total rate of 162kb/s so much quicker than it ever was with the whole series

and i only download 24, and the odd film, and have not downloaded much since i got back from uni

i tried to 'test if port was properly forwarded' and found that port 61210 does not appear to be open

and in other news have the posts per page just increased from 10 to 25?!?!?!!

eshiers1 said:
Feed-The-Goat said:
you might need to check your settings with whatever your downloading it with...i use utorrent and got to setting and change my bandwith and upload and download limits.

yeah utorrent...got my download setting as unlimited, upload limited to 10...and high bandwidth allocation!

set upload & download to unlimited....your download is directly proportional to your upload speed, so let your ISP throttling auto set

port forwarding doesnt make a diff tbh....its more likely a mixture of your ISP throttling your bandwidth & the utorrent set up....tbh Utorrent is one of the fastest managers as it doesnt use java

shadygiz said:
eshiers1 said:
Feed-The-Goat said:
you might need to check your settings with whatever your downloading it with...i use utorrent and got to setting and change my bandwith and upload and download limits.

yeah utorrent...got my download setting as unlimited, upload limited to 10...and high bandwidth allocation!

set upload & download to unlimited....your download is directly proportional to your upload speed, so let your ISP throttling auto set

done!

ta

hello said:
What type of router is it, D-link / netgear etc

Basically they nearly all have a web interface accessed by typing in the default gateway addreess e.g. http:\\192.168.0.254
If you dont know your gateway address open command prompt and type ipconfig /all and it will show you a load of ip info incl gateway.

Before you do this however most clients will have a tool to chack the port is open or close on the page you got the port number from so have a butchers on there for a port check (or similar) button and give that a go first.

i must say all this is showing how computer literate i am!

its a belkin router...apart from that, i have no idea what you said!!!

argh i am rubbish!!

you wont get the full speed if the port is closed.

To open you need to access the interface of your router.

or if its just occasional, turn the modem off/ plug directly into the modem and power it back on.

As the other guy said Virgin have bandwidth restrictions and cut the speed to 25% if you hit the top 5%

shadygiz said:
eshiers1 said:

Maybe i'm wrong but it was always my understanding that your upload limit should be set to around 80% of your total upload speed for maximum download speed. As you need keep some upload bandwidth back in reserve so your pc can communicate with all the other pc in the swarm.

BTW eisher from what your saying its yellow with an excalmation mark it sounds like your port that your using to download is blocked someway either by a firewall or by a router. If you hover your mouse directly over that yellow thing a message should popup, what does it actually say ?.

hello said:
you wont get the full speed if the port is closed.

To open you need to access the interface of your router.

or if its just occasional, turn the modem off/ plug directly into the modem and power it back on.

As the other guy said Virgin have bandwidth restrictions and cut the speed to 25% if you hit the top 5%

what do you mean 'hit the top 5%'?

and how do i interface with my router!?

ta!!

The default Ip address on belkins is 192.168.2.1

U/N admin

Password blank

So open up internet Explorer/firefox

and bang in http:\\192.168.2.1

You will get an orange\black web page varying on model you need to select firewall settings and then port forwarding.

Basically add port forward rule 61210 to your PC/laptops IP address or name (varies on model)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.