Dusan Vlahovic | Signed for Juventus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vlahovics over-performance reminds me of salah in liverpools's successful run because that is what great strikers do
If you are over performing your stats during a shorter period of time (like half a season), it more often than not shows that you are a bit lucky at the moment. If you do it over years we can talk about it being consistent. Recent example is Lingard at West Ham last year, that for a shorter period of time delivered elite numbers. Its unsustainable since he is not a elite player. Time will tell if Vlahovic is or not, but there is no way he could keep over performing his numbers this much over time. Unless he is the greatest striker of all time.

With that said he could still be a great striker for us.

If you are over performing your stats during a shorter period of time (like half a season), it more often than not shows that you are a bit lucky at the moment. If you do it over years we can talk about it being consistent. Recent example is Lingard at West Ham last year, that for a shorter period of time delivered elite numbers. Its unsustainable since he is not a elite player. Time will tell if Vlahovic is or not, but there is no way he could keep over performing his numbers this much over time. Unless he is the greatest striker of all time.

With that said he could still be a great striker for us.
nonsense. If you over-perform for a short period for very little goals in the range of 10-20 then it might mean lucky like gundo last year. but if you over-perform scoring so many goals that you break record after record it has often to do with your finishing ability don't you think?

nonsense. If you over-perform for a short period for very little goals in the range of 10-20 then it might mean lucky like gundo last year. but if you over-perform scoring so many goals that you break record after record it has often to do with your finishing ability don't you think?
That is very true, and exactly what I just wrote when I said if you do it over years you are not lucky, you are consistent. But this has nothing to do with Vlahovic since he has not broken record after record, or done it for years, he has broken one record, mostly because of a stunning return this first half of the season and a huge number of pens. Its only this season he has over-performed by some noticeable extent. He has scored 10 non-penalty goals from a npxG of 5.71. The over performance is with other words like you said "very little goals". Last year he scored 15 non-penalty goals in 37 games, and did not over-perform his numbers even close to what he is doing this season. Which shows he is a great young striker, but not exactly Haaland level. But when you combine 4-5 goals over-performance in xG this season, with a goal every third game from a penalty (10 in total this calendar year), that's all of a sudden 15 goals out of the record 33.

But like I said, I think he is a good striker, and that he would be a great option for us. And his ability to score penalties is something that could come in handy considering we are not exactly clinical in that department. Im just saying that his current numbers are a bit inflated by a 75% unsustainable over-performance in xG (25-50% is considered elite) this season and a huge number of pens.

Yes, those are excellent points and I am sure that our scouts will absolutely take this into consideration and not be fooled by a simple 'goals scored' column. If City decide to go for him, it will be based on what they see in his general play, as much as his finishing, as well as as his potential to develop his game as he's obviously still very young.

I would like to stress that he has the looks of a quality player, but it's important to put those 'record numbers' into context.

Hv5LinN.jpg

That is very true, and exactly what I just wrote when I said if you do it over years you are not lucky, you are consistent. But this has nothing to do with Vlahovic since he has not broken record after record, or done it for years, he has broken one record, mostly because of a stunning return this first half of the season and a huge number of pens. Its only this season he has over-performed by some noticeable extent. He has scored 10 non-penalty goals from a npxG of 5.71. The over performance is with other words like you said "very little goals". Last year he scored 15 non-penalty goals in 37 games, and did not over-perform his numbers even close to what he is doing this season. Which shows he is a great young striker, but not exactly Haaland level. But when you combine 4-5 goals over-performance in xG this season, with a goal every third game from a penalty (10 in total this calendar year), that's all of a sudden 15 goals out of the record 33.

But like I said, I think he is a good striker, and that he would be a great option for us. And his ability to score penalties is something that could come in handy considering we are not exactly clinical in that department. Im just saying that his current numbers are a bit inflated by a 75% unsustainable over-performance in xG (25-50% is considered elite) this season and a huge number of pens.
Have you actually watched him play? Or are you basing this on YouTube and/or regurgitation of other peoples opinions?

Not understanding how you’d consider this lad a penalty merchant if you’ve ever actually watched him play.

Carried Fiorentina through a very tricky season last year, despite only being 20 years old.

whether it’s for us, or another club, he will score plenty of goals wherever he ends up.

Have you actually watched him play? Or are you basing this on YouTube and/or regurgitation of other peoples opinions?

Not understanding how you’d consider this lad a penalty merchant if you’ve ever actually watched him play.

Carried Fiorentina through a very tricky season last year, despite only being 20 years old.

whether it’s for us, or another club, he will score plenty of goals wherever he ends up.
Since my mother comes from just outside of Florence I have always had a soft spot for Fiorentina, and watch them roughly around ~20 times every year. How about you?

I am not saying he is a penalty merchant, I am stating the fact that 10 of his goals scored this year comes from penalties. He is carrying Fiorentina at the moment, and like I said several times I think he would be a great option for us. What I am saying is that I think he is a significant step down in quality from Haaland. Feel free to disagree

Yes, those are excellent points and I am sure that our scouts will absolutely take this into consideration and not be fooled by a simple 'goals scored' column. If City decide to go for him, it will be based on what they see in his general play, as much as his finishing, as well as as his potential to develop his game as he's obviously still very young.

I would like to stress that he has the looks of a quality player, but it's important to put those 'record numbers' into context.

Hv5LinN.jpg
This graph really shows why Haaland and Mbappe will rule the next decade

Hv5LinN.jpg
Good to see Nmecha doing well.

Hv5LinN.jpg
Pointless graph. If you look at only expected goals and assists, not ACTUAL goal contributions, it tells more about the team he’s playing in than the player itself. Hence why Mbappe and Haaland’s stats are much better. You’re basically comparing PSG and Dortmund (CL teams) to Fiorentina (mid table side). If you look closely you’ll notice the players with better stats plays for Liverpool, Chelsea, Dortmund, PSG and City, some of the best sides in the world. Wirtz is the only true exception, but he’s also the main creative force in a team that averages 2,4 goals a game. What would be interesting is a comparison between actual goals and assists with expected G&A, which Vlahovic has been doing very well for the last 18 months

Pointless graph. If you look at only expected goals and assists, not ACTUAL goal contributions, it tells more about the team he’s playing in than the player itself. Hence why Mbappe and Haaland’s stats are much better. You’re basically comparing PSG and Dortmund (CL teams) to Fiorentina (mid table side). If you look closely you’ll notice the players with better stats plays for Liverpool, Chelsea, Dortmund, PSG and City, some of the best sides in the world. Wirtz is the only true exception, but he’s also the main creative force in a team that averages 2,4 goals a game. What would be interesting is a comparison between actual goals and assists with expected G&A, which Vlahovic has been doing very well for the last 18 months
Agree with large parts of this, since xG largely depends on your role in a team, and the teams strenght in comparison to the teams they are facing. Vlahovic could very well be om top of this graph if he played for City. But than again, so could 20 others be too.

I think its fair to say Vlahovic is one of the most exiting young strikers in Europe at the moment, and he could score goals for fun here. He could also be another Jovetic (failure wise, they are not the same type of player). But every transfer is a risk, and if we sign him I will be happy. I would just much rather sign Haaland, who in my opinion are the closest thing to a sure bet you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.