Dzeko - How well did he play?

The only thing I would like to see him do is stay around the box. In tonights game he popped up on the wings and was putting balls into the box. When in a ideal world you would want him to be attacking the ball that should be coming into the box.

He was roughed up a bit today but you expect that from a team thats down in the bottom half battling to stay in the league but he got up and got on with it which was good to see. Get him match fit and used to the players beside him and he will start hitting the net.

Marvin said:
Tevez just had a poor game

This is a player who is known as a warrior and who will fight for the ball all over the pitch and some call him selfish because we get beat. We made mistakes in the final third, no more than that. In fact we needed a few players to take a bit of responsibility in front of goal. Sometimes we get the Arsenal disease and pass when we should shoot

TBH I called Tevez selfish from months , even when we won. and even when he score. especially when scoring goals that come from bad choices. as the first against the wolves, born only through a lucky rebound. wrong selfish choices sometime win you a game, but more more often simply prevent the team from improve the game and results.

Tevez is greedy, the amount of times I was pulling my hair out when he tried to run through a brick wall when he had a pass on was unbelievable. That said however, this type of play makes things happen.

Dzeko was pretty poor today but you have to credit the Villa defence, they were very good.

leighton said:
The only thing I would like to see him do is stay around the box. In tonights game he popped up on the wings and was putting balls into the box. When in a ideal world you would want him to be attacking the ball that should be coming into the box.

He was roughed up a bit today but you expect that from a team thats down in the bottom half battling to stay in the league but he got up and got on with it which was good to see. Get him match fit and used to the players beside him and he will start hitting the net.

Let's not over-reduce Dzeko to the box duties, but I too was really surprised to see him consistently playing on the wings for some periods of time (actually both left and right) and putting crosses to the others, even acting as a playmaker for an extended duration of time, and I have been watching him for years now!

My primary speculation is that those were the instructions he was getting and he wasn't going to say "no" being new to the team, or (less likely) that he was getting REALLY desperate to see something happen there as Silva was basically invisible and nobody else stepped up to the plate.

I don't really know what it was about and am very interested to find out, but that certainly isn't his "standard practice" that I can say I have witnessed before...

Mancio said:
Marvin said:

This is a player who is known as a warrior and who will fight for the ball all over the pitch and some call him selfish because we get beat. We made mistakes in the final third, no more than that. In fact we needed a few players to take a bit of responsibility in front of goal. Sometimes we get the Arsenal disease and pass when we should shoot

TBH I called Tevez selfish from months , even when we won. and even when he score. especially when scoring goals that come from bad choices. as the first against the wolves, born only through a lucky rebound. wrong selfish choices sometime win you a game, but more more often simply prevent the team from improve the game and results.
Strikers need to take responsibility in the box, but Tevez is the ultimate team player. he defends from the front, drops deep and attacks from deep, scores goals.

If you said that about a Berbatov or a Torres I'd understand, but Tevez's workrate is 2nd to none. He made the wrong decisions today, and made some poor passes, but that's just poor form.

Maybe the whole team were slightly under par after playing in midweek

Dzeko? Fine. He'll get it. No idea why he spent anytime on the wing, or why AJ insists on cutting inside so often.

Tevex? Unacceptable behaviour sometimes, example:

late in the game, Villa strung across the box, in two banks, Tevez at the left apex of 18 yard box, Kolorov on the wing in loads of space, just in front of Villas final bank, Carlos looks at him and...takes it inside running along the 18 yard line going nowhere.

Why? What on earth does he think when he does this? Just get it out wide and crash the box.

Sigh said:
Dzeko? Fine. He'll get it. No idea why he spent anytime on the wing, or why AJ insists on cutting inside so often.

late in the game, Villa strung across the box, in two banks, Tevez at the left apex of 18 yard box, Kolorov on the wing in loads of space, just in front of Villas final bank, Carlos looks at him and...takes it inside running along the 18 yard line going nowhere.

Why? What on earth does he think when he does this? Just get it out wide and crash the box.
Wrong decisions yes. But Tevez is no more selfish than any other forward. That's an insult that shouldn't be used cheaply.

Surely AJ is at his most dangerous when he cuts in from the right on to his left foot and shoots or crosses. That's the best part of his game.

Kolarov had another good game. A couple of wild shots, but he's starting to justify his fee now.

Marvin said:
Sigh said:

Wrong decisions yes. But Tevez is no more selfish than any other forward. That's an insult that shouldn't be used cheaply.

Surely AJ is at his most dangerous when he cuts in from the right on to his left foot and shoots or crosses. That's the best part of his game.

Kolarov had another good game. A couple of wild shots, but he's starting to justify his fee now.

well.. it seem we have to agree to disagree ;)

I thought he did reasonably well today, especially as he's still regaining fitness and sharpness at the same time as getting used to a faster league, good touch and good hold up player. Shame about the missed header, I like to see him stay more central to provide a focal point.

wanderer72 said:
Marvin said:

I guess the point is that he has certainly proven that he can score, but can he (dare he) pass on a regular basis as well? I really do find him an impressive player, but I am getting less and less convinced of the latter.

Someone said that it was because he was used to being alone up front, which is a fair point, but the problem is, now that other good strikers are there who can help out, you don't even see him TRYING to pass on a regular basis. Now, that is a problem, if he actually tried and somehow it did't work out this far, I would be the first to say "OK, it does take some time to learn enough about the partner", but he is not even bloody TRYING!

Now, how would you explain that?
Tevez did my head in today, I can forgive the awful miss early on but his refusal to pass was beyond a joke. I'm not only talking about passing in the box (when you might argue that a striker has the right to be selfish) - although that was bad enough, opting to shoot when there is no shot on so it just gets blocked or rather than holding the ball has the fucking ridiculous attempt with his left when the ball came over his head. There were at least 3 occasions when Kolarov was in acres of space on the left, Tevez was moving that direction with the ball but instead of keeping the momentum going by putting the ball into Kola's path, he stopped, turned back into the middle and attempted to try and dribble through Villa's packed defence - gave possession to Villa every time!

It has to change if he's to play with a partner because today there was no point our attacking players making runs when Tevez was on the ball - IT'S A FUCKING TEAM GAME CARLOS!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.