Dzeko, Tevez and the system

Croatia played something similar (a more purist 3-5-2) when they were at their best, in the late 90-ies...

I'd say City doesn't have the discipline this requires, nor the midfield short-pass quality that any variation of 3-5-2 requires. Would probably suit Arsenal sooner than City...

BosnianDiamond said:
IMO, we need a traditional 4-4-2 with plenty of wing support from Silva and Johnson. I'm just not sure if Yaya and De Jong are sufficient in the middle.

........................Hart......................

Boateng....Kompany....Toure....Kolarov

Silva.....Yaya.......De Jong......Johnson?

................Tevez........Dzeko.............

They are more than sufficient.

The insistance on playing NDJ, Barry and Yaya altogether leaves us exceedingly one dimensional. Yaya is only running forward because nobody else can do it from midfield. It's not his natural game. NDJ and Barry cannot pass a ball forward nor do they have any turn of pace. To be successful, one of these has to be ditched and that has to be Barry at the moment.

Whilst it may be sad to see Silva so wide, we need width on both sides and we need our full backs to defend.

A few weeks ago, I could never envisage us going back to 4-4-2 but to get the best out of Dzeko and Tevez, then that is the only way.

For me, with 4-4-2, we have more options, we can go round teams instead of trying to walk through them, and walking through them when you have no turn of pace in midfield and little in the way of upbeat tempo, isn't going to work very often.

Dzeko is a great player and can play as a lone striker or as one of a front two. However, if we play 4-3-3 I can see what happened on Saturday happening too often, Dzeko drifting wide, losing confidence and going downhill.

I look at our players and I see better results coming from a 4-4-2. Some may see it as old fashioned but we have to play to our strengths. We have two of the best strikers in the world at the moment so let's see them both in the box, not covering every blade from one wing to the other. Let's see Silva and Johnson giving them supply and with De Jong protecting the back four, they have all the protection they need. Yaya can get up and down the field or he can add extra protection to the defenders if needed, after all that was his position at Barca.

Let's try it and give it a few weeks. I'm absolutely positive that it will yield more points than the current set up.

If Mancini keeps playing the midfield anchor trio, it's going to destroy the confidence of both our strikers, who will both end up getting little service, and Tevez will end up firing off for sure when we don't make the Champions League as a result.

I just want to apologise to members who were enjoying the debate early on, I feel like the host of a party and there's a couple of wierdo's who have turned up uninvited doing drugs and being weird and ruined it for everyone else. Sorry, I'd invite them to leave if I could

Great post DD.

You've hit the nail on the head by stating we need to play to our strengths,and,given our current best players,that has to be 442.
Yes it may involve leaving certain players out but otherwise we are restricting ourselves and performing our old favourite of putting square pegs in round holes.....

My only reservation of the above team is Silva out wide,i don't think he has enough pace to be effective on the wing,so i'd move him inside alongside DJ or Yaya and either make a new purchase or try Balo(when fit) out there.
Alternatively bench Silva,give DJ and Yaya the chance to shine and make the purchase.

I'd also play Zaba at rightback!

The Villa defeat could actually end up a blessing.

Shaelumstash said:
I just want to apologise to members who were enjoying the debate early on, I feel like the host of a party and there's a couple of wierdo's who have turned up uninvited doing drugs and being weird and ruined it for everyone else. Sorry, I'd invite them to leave if I could

Nope. As soon an ass-kissing schmuck like you buys this forum, I'll be the first to leave it altogether voluntarily. In the meantime, read and learn before starting to feel like a host of a party, as nobody ever invited you to it either.

You've only "proven" that any idiot can hit the "New thread" button, as if we didn't already know it.

wanderer72 said:
Shaelumstash said:

Nope. As soon an ass-kissing schmuck like you buys this forum, I'll be the first to leave it altogether voluntarily. In the meantime, read and learn before starting to feel like a host of a party, as nobody ever invited you to it either.

You've only "proven" that any idiot can hit the "New thread" button, as if we didn't already know it.
Calm down, stop getting so upset Superhans! The only thing I could learn from you is how to have bad grammar and play Football Manager. Anyway, don't want to get off topic, you carry on talking about your ideal 3-1-2 and a half-1-1-4 formations to your talking sock

FantasyIreland said:
Great post DD.

You've hit the nail on the head by stating we need to play to our strengths,and,given our current best players,that has to be 442.
Yes it may involve leaving certain players out but otherwise we are restricting ourselves and performing our old favourite of putting square pegs in round holes.....

My only reservation of the above team is Silva out wide,i don't think he has enough pace to be effective on the wing,so i'd move him inside alongside DJ or Yaya and either make a new purchase or try Balo(when fit) out there.
Alternatively bench Silva,give DJ and Yaya the chance to shine and make the purchase.

Silva would be nearly useless in that right-hand position.

Now, Silva playing inline with DeJong??? Benching Silva as an alternative?? Is this side already THAT good??

Would you care to elaborate?

wanderer72 said:
FantasyIreland said:
Great post DD.

Silva would be nearly useless in that right-hand position.

Now, Silva playing inline with DeJong??? Benching Silva as an alternative?? Is this side already THAT good??

Would you care to elaborate?

hope not

Why do we suddenly need to drastically change our tactics after 1 defeat?

Massive over-reaction, Dzeko simply needs to get up to speed and gain a bit of an understanding with his team-mates and if he's as good as people on here say he is, then he'll start banging them in.

All this talk about 4-4-2 is bollocks, why change a formation that got us to second in the league purely because we couldnt break down a team who parked the bus away from home?

Shaelumstash said:
wanderer72 said:

Calm down, stop getting so upset Superhans! The only thing I could learn from you is how to have bad grammar and play Football Manager. Anyway, don't want to get off topic, you carry on talking about your ideal 3-1-2 and a half-1-1-4 formations to your talking sock

Yawn. Very Teletubbies, kiddo, I see you didn't miss your daily fix. Just keep it going and they'll upgrade you to listening to the Backdoor Boys before you know it!

Then they'll even let you practice it! You're the best material there I've seen in a while.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.