Dzeko, Tevez and the system

C1TY4LIFE said:
wanderer72 said:
This might have been the plan, but yesterday it was about all the formations in the book, and none at the same time.

If we are naming names, it wasn't as much about Dzeko, but Tevez running around like a headless chicken and bumping into the defensive wall Villa set up, Silva being nearly invisible altogether, Toure seemingly looking for an excuse to be benched until it was over and Johnson, once he came in and something was finally being created up front, preferred the Tevez-way himself, rather than passing/crossing.

There was no teamwork last night, which is not new at all, but is still very troublesome.

Maybe Villa just defended really well? It's a possibility only because we don't create clear cut tap in chances or score more then 1 goal isn't down to our own play but to the opponents, I would understand if the stats said differently but:

55% Possession
86% Passing success
14 Attempts On Target
10 Attempts Off Target
13 Corners

I'd say looking at these stats the team work was pretty well off, just one of those games where Villa hung on. Like I said if we had won 3 or 4 - 1 there would be no complaints simply becaue we were the better team in all aspects of the field except for scoring, just one of those games where we could of played for 4 days and still not score.

Villa did defend extremely well for a side in such a position, but a team with the ambition City has and with such great individual players needs to show much, much more.

There are lies, more lies and statistics ;) In my view, Villa was the better team yesterday, because they were the only team on the pitch, really.

First of all very interesting thread, was thinkin of making one like this by myself.
I agree partially with you. Dzeko and Tevez can play together, but not in the the same formation as it was against the villa. Like many said : Dzeko nor Tevez cant play a winger forward. So its up to the Mancini. Changing formation by putting Dzeko and Tevez in the middle as CFs and Silva behind them, wouldn't be a bad idea at all. We wouldnt change our style of play that much, and Dzeko would draw the defenders, making room for tevez to show his pace. And when they decide to close Tevez, he can easily pass to Dzeko. As I can see, main problem here is that Tevez is a bit greedy, and selfish. I am not saying that he is a bad striker nor that he doesnt score. He is a fantastic striker, but sometimes he can pass, instead of just trying to go through the whole back line. Although his sellfishness, got us a lot of goals, we would score even more goals if he wouldnt be that greedy. Anyway, last match wasnt our best,but there are plenty more to go. Dzeko needs some time to adopt himself, on a new league, and a totally different playstyle. Havent watched him a lot before these two matches, but He seems like a very good singing, good vision and first touch, very strong player, and his technique is also pretty awesome.

Cracking thread this.

What we all need to remember is that we now have more strings to our bow.
I too have concerns about 1 players selection affecting several others but I have confidence in Mancini to get this right.

I would have liked to have seen dzeko eased in to things as we are mid season but in the long term his inclusion should speed up our development.

I disagree with many of the OP's observations about Džeko's style of play and his game last night, but I do think Mancini should consider trying out a formation with two strikers. Perhaps 4-3-1-2:

GK - Hart
RB - Boateng
LB - Kolarov
CB - K. Toure
CB - Kompany
MC - Y. Toure
MC - De Jong
MC - Barry
AM - Silva
ST - Tevez
ST - Džeko

wanderer72 said:
C1TY4LIFE said:
Maybe Villa just defended really well? It's a possibility only because we don't create clear cut tap in chances or score more then 1 goal isn't down to our own play but to the opponents, I would understand if the stats said differently but:

55% Possession
86% Passing success
14 Attempts On Target
10 Attempts Off Target
13 Corners

I'd say looking at these stats the team work was pretty well off, just one of those games where Villa hung on. Like I said if we had won 3 or 4 - 1 there would be no complaints simply becaue we were the better team in all aspects of the field except for scoring, just one of those games where we could of played for 4 days and still not score.

Villa did defend extremely well for a side in such a position, but a team with the ambition City has and with such great individual players needs to show much, much more.

There are lies, more lies and statistics ;) In my view, Villa was the better team yesterday, because they were the only team on the pitch, really.

I personally thought we were quality that was my main reason for being so upset last night (plus I drank way too much before the game) but I thought this may be due to not just beer goggles but also my blue tinted specs till this afternoon my dad said my Brother-In-Law (Who's a RAG) rang after the game and said we were by far the better team and that we could of played all day and not have scored.

Nurah said:
I disagree with many of the OP's observations about Džeko's style of play and his game last night, but I do think Mancini should consider trying out a formation with two strikers. Perhaps 4-3-1-2:

GK - Hart
RB - Boateng
LB - Kolarov
CB - K. Toure
CB - Kompany
MC - Y. Toure
MC - De Jong
MC - Barry
AM - Silva
ST - Tevez
ST - Džeko

This is probably ideal and would make a world-class team in anyone's book, but still assumes Tevez being disciplined formation-wise and not a selfish hog he obviously is. I now doubt that can be changed, but wish I am wrong here.

franksinatra said:
C1TY4LIFE said:
I'm not, I just don't know where the OP is getting the fact we can't keep playin 4-3-3 or 4-5-1 from? Yesterday we played 4-2-3-1
GK Hart

RB Boateng
CB K.Toure
CB Kompany
LB Kolarov

DM Barry
DM Dejong

AML Silva
CAM Y.Toure
AMR Tevez

ST Dzeko

Tevez always plays behind the striker he likes to drop deep, Dzeko is an out and out striker who likes to push up. I just don't understand the singling out of Dzeko when (although the team played really well in my eyes) players like Silva, Tevez, AJ and Yaya Toure created fuck all? If Dzeko had of scored a Hat-Trick the OP would be creaming in his pants saying how spot on the tactis were but because we got beat 1-0 it's the formation? Pfft please.

I think Its a fair comment with regards the formation personally, although you're right individual performances dictate how effective the perfdormance will be. The question is will we get the same level of performance from players consistently such as Tevez if he is pushed out right or from Silva if Tevez drops into the hole.

Last season in respect was similar to this, Tevez started on the right of a three with Ade and Bellmay./Robinho and wasnt half as effective until he moved into the middle. Unfortunately that was in my eyes to the detriment of Steven Ireland and so we ended up playing 4-4-2 with Sweep and Bellers occupying the flanks and Ade and Tevez down the centre. Hughes recognised this and as Ade and Tevez provided regular goals at that time it was unfortunate Ireland could not be accomodated, a role similar to the one Silva is playing.

Its just finding the right fir for the players.

Using the flanks would be the ideal option the only problem imo is that we only have 1 natural winger in Johno, I think Silva and Milner are more cut out for the middle then the wings.

wanderer72 said:
Nurah said:

GK - Hart
RB - Boateng
LB - Kolarov
CB - K. Toure
CB - Kompany
MC - Y. Toure
MC - De Jong
MC - Barry
AM - Silva
ST - Tevez
ST - Džeko

This is probably ideal and would make a world-class team in anyone's book, but still assumes Tevez being disciplined formation-wise and not a selfish hog he obviously is. I now doubt that can be changed, but wish I am wrong here.
He can be changed. Mancini should replace him with the balo as soon as he gets available. That could teach him a lesson

Nurah said:

GK - Hart
RB - Boateng
LB - Kolarov
CB - K. Toure
CB - Kompany
MC - Y. Toure
MC - De Jong
MC - Barry
AM - Silva
ST - Tevez
ST - Džeko
Not sure what you specifically disagree with me about, but if there is anything in particular I'd be happy to expand on my point. I think the system you have outlined here is the only way we can get Silva, Tevez and Dzeko in to the same team, I completely agree with you on that.

It is almost like playing a Diamond midfield with 2 up top. From speaking with others on here in the tactics tread, apparrently this was the system he preferred at Inter.

I am sure we have the manager and players to make that system work, but my concern is it will take time for the players to adjust as we have been playing such a different system in the league so far with great success.

C1TY4LIFE said:
wanderer72 said:

I personally thought we were quality that was my main reason for being so upset last night (plus I drank way too much before the game) but I thought this may be due to not just beer goggles but also my blue tinted specs till this afternoon my dad said my Brother-In-Law (Who's a RAG) rang after the game and said we were by far the better team and that we could of played all day and not have scored.

Even with three points in the bag, I think I would still be quite frustrated with what happened last night, or more precisely with the things that didn't happen despite these imaginary, winning goals...

With so little sense of teamwork, someone like Chelsea would have wanked all over the pitch, despite their own problems at the moment. And that is the real problem here, this is not bidding well, while to make matters worse all it takes is a bit more teamwork, dealing with your own ego and playing more for the team... Frustrating.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.