Dzeko, what's his next move?

pudge said:
neel said:
Any technical reasons u guys feel his game has gone down since Wolfsburg....heard he was lethal there....
Mancini

Despite the "sarcasm" its a fairly good one word answer.

If you look at how Wolfsburg played Dzeko it wasn't how Mancini played him. He was the main forward at Wolfsburg and the focus of their attacks. They had wingers who crossed the ball and Dzeko filled his boots becaiuse he was very good at getting on the end of them. He wasn't asked to play with his back to the goal and take balls to his feet.

He may thrive under Pellegrini if he's used this way.

Goo said:
pudge said:
Jumanji said:
Speechless, huh, Pudge? ........
About?

I thought my initial response of "Mancini" with regards to the technical reasons of his performances was sarcastic enough.

Sorry if it was too subtle for you. After all, I'm always making excuses for Dzeko aren't I lol

Sorry to disappoint you Jumanji, I would have thought you would be familiar with my stance on Dzeko.

I'm not familiar with your posts enough to know it was sarcastic, nor have I paid attention to your other posts in this thread. Just say "Mancini" and though I'd give my two-pence on that idea

-- Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:58 pm --

noise said:
fhapgTD.gif

If you think that's some how proof Dzeko is better than Tevez and Aguero you're very much mistaken.

Tevez and Aguero add so much more to the team than Dzeko does.
Not goals apparently.

noise said:
Goo said:
pudge said:
About?

I thought my initial response of "Mancini" with regards to the technical reasons of his performances was sarcastic enough.

Sorry if it was too subtle for you. After all, I'm always making excuses for Dzeko aren't I lol

Sorry to disappoint you Jumanji, I would have thought you would be familiar with my stance on Dzeko.

I'm not familiar with your posts enough to know it was sarcastic, nor have I paid attention to your other posts in this thread. Just say "Mancini" and though I'd give my two-pence on that idea

noise said:

If you think that's some how proof Dzeko is better than Tevez and Aguero you're very much mistaken.

Not goals apparently.

Lets forget the 30 Aguero scored the season before, and the time Tevez won the golden boot then shall we?

The difference is, we know that by Aguero's standards last season was poor but there is so much evidence to suggest he will score a shed load next season (when he's injury free).<br /><br />-- Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:05 pm --<br /><br />
pudge said:
Apologies for misleading you

None necessary

Goo said:
noise said:
Goo said:

Not goals apparently.

Lets forget the 30 Aguero scored the season before, and the time Tevez won the golden boot then shall we?
We can talk about past accomplishments too, like winning Bundesliga with a bottom table team, breaking the all time scoring records in Bundesliga. Or the fact that Dzeko is the only City player to score 4 against another PL team ever. Dzeko had a similar scoring rate last season as well.

Where as Tevez and Aguero had a significant drop in scoring this last season, yet everyone is pointing fingers at Dzeko for the lack of results. How many times we were going to lose the game started by Aguero and Tevez only to have Dzeko supersub a win (including the QPR game)? I get that most don't like Dzeko, but you can't deny the facts. Dzeko was our hero who kept us in the title contention last season, and he doesn't deserve the treatment he gets.

noise said:
Goo said:
noise said:
Not goals apparently.

We can talk about past accomplishments too, like winning Bundesliga with a bottom table team, breaking the all time scoring records in Bundesliga. Or the fact that Dzeko is the only City player to score 4 against another PL team ever. Dzeko had a similar scoring rate last season as well.

Where as Tevez and Aguero had a significant drop in scoring this last season, yet everyone is pointing fingers at Dzeko for the lack of results. How many times we were going to lose the game started by Aguero and Tevez only to have Dzeko supersub a win? I get that most don't like Dzeko, but you can't deny the facts.

Read my edit. Aguero and Tevez (if he remained with the club) both show plenty of evidence that they would significantly improve the coming season. They add so much more to the build up play, they can take on defenders, they can place a shot, they can pass effectively and can actually control a pass to them.

I see no redeeming features of Dzeko's play at City, except the fact that he managed to score 17 goals last season. And that record only looks good because our other players so significantly under performed (for reasons such as injury etc), something which won't happen again.

Goo said:
noise said:
Goo said:

Where as Tevez and Aguero had a significant drop in scoring this last season, yet everyone is pointing fingers at Dzeko for the lack of results. How many times we were going to lose the game started by Aguero and Tevez only to have Dzeko supersub a win? I get that most don't like Dzeko, but you can't deny the facts.

Read my edit. Aguero and Tevez (if he remained with the club) both show plenty of evidence that they would significantly improve the coming season. They add so much more to the build up play, they can take on defenders, they can place a shot, they can pass effectively and can actually control a pass to them.

I see no redeeming features of Dzeko's play at City, except the fact that he managed to score 17 goals last season. And that record only looks good because our other players so significantly under performed (for reasons such as injury etc), something which won't happen again.
We have yet to see what Dzeko would be capable of if he was the 1st choice striker at City, where the attack is built around him. We know that every other time this was the case, he was banging them in for fun (Wolfsburg, NT).

Even as a 4th and 3rd (after Balloteli left) choice striker he was still banging them in, not as consistently but certainly better than anyone can expect from a striker who got a very few starts (hence the super sub nickname).

As for his general play, we can disagree there, as it's subjective. But stats aren't subjective, Dzeko created most clear scoring chances last season as well. Dzeko's build 6'4" doesn't allow him to constantly run, like short players can, and I feel this is why he's being criticized (something he can't change). Yeah his touch can be bad at times, but clearly this is due to lack of playing as this was never an issue before. He had an amazing first touch in Wolfsburg. Same with his passing, he had some bad but also some brilliant passes last season, which shows you the glimpse of what he's capable of, given the support he needs.

I just think it's shitty how he's being treated, despite his contributions to the team. While those who really underperformed last season get a free pass.

noise said:
Goo said:
noise said:

We have yet to see what Dzeko would be capable of if he was the 1st choice striker at City, where the attack is built around him. We know that every other time this was the case, he was banging them in for fun (Wolfsburg, NT).

Even as a 4th and 3rd (after Balloteli left) choice striker he was still banging them in, not as consistently but certainly better than anyone can expect from a striker who got a very few starts (hence the super sub nickname).

As for his general play, we can disagree there, as it's subjective. But stats aren't subjective, Dzeko created most clear scoring chances last season as well. Dzeko's build 6'4" doesn't allow him to constantly run, like short players can, and I feel this is why he's being criticized (something he can't change). Yeah his touch can be bad at times, but clearly this is due to lack of playing as this was never an issue before. He had an amazing first touch in Wolfsburg.

I just think it's shitty how he's being treated, despite his contributions to the team. While those who really underperformed last season get a free pass.

Dzeko has game time and (more significantly) training time to prove he should be 1st choice striker. He's not 1st choice because Aguero is better, simple as.

There's not point saying "change the system and he'll bang them in" because our system works for every other player. To change an entire attacking system for one player, especially one who is 3rd choice striker, is simply crazy!

Dzeko played circa 100 less minutes than Aguero last season. You're making it sound like he literally never played yet scored loads more.

Yes stats are pretty much conclusive, but you're just cherry picking the ones which make him seem like a world beater. Unless you can provide lots of mutually supporting facts and stats then what you're posting is essentially useless. You can find individual stats to support the case of any striker.

Being treated badly? Every time he plays the crowd sing his song as loud as they possibly can, and he gets paid something like 100k a week for the privilege. This is a forum for discussing players' pros and cons, and just because some don't think he's the right player for City doesn't qualify as "bad treatment" I'm afraid.

Goo said:
noise said:
Goo said:

As for his general play, we can disagree there, as it's subjective. But stats aren't subjective, Dzeko created most clear scoring chances last season as well. Dzeko's build 6'4" doesn't allow him to constantly run, like short players can, and I feel this is why he's being criticized (something he can't change). Yeah his touch can be bad at times, but clearly this is due to lack of playing as this was never an issue before. He had an amazing first touch in Wolfsburg.

Dzeko has game time and (more significantly) training time to prove he should be 1st choice striker. He's not 1st choice because Aguero is better, simple as.

There's not point saying "change the system and he'll bang them in" because our system works for every other player. To change an entire attacking system for one player, especially one who is 3rd choice striker, is simply crazy!

Dzeko played circa 100 less minutes than Aguero last season. You're making it sound like he literally never played yet scored loads more.

Yes stats are pretty much conclusive, but you're just cherry picking the ones which make him seem like a world beater. Unless you can provide lots of mutually supporting facts and stats then what you're posting is essentially useless. You can find individual stats to support the case of any striker.

Being treated badly? Every time he plays the crowd sing his song as loud as they possibly can, and he gets paid something like 100k a week for the privilege. This is a forum for discussing players' pros and cons, and just because some don't think he's the right player for City doesn't qualify as "bad treatment" I'm afraid.

I think by "treated badly" he means that Yaya had games last season where he didn't look like he could be bothered one bit -- truly looked like he was composing a shopping list in his head as players ran the pitch around him -- but it's okay because he's a future legend. Silva had games where to say he was a shadow of his former self was to put it mildly, but it's fine because he's a genius. Aguero had games where he looked like he couldn't find the net with a compass, but he's a hero so it's excusable. Tevez had matches where he looked like he was pushing on a door that said "Pull" all game, but we congratulate him for his single-mindedness. He can refuse to play for the club (whatever the confusion may have been) and skip town for months, but it's okay because it's not as bad as Dzeko at Spurs.

The impression I get when people say Dzeko gets "treated badly" is that he's a little singled out. Either slag off a lot of our players for their subpar performances -- Dzeko very much included -- or see the best in them despite some dour performances, and include Dzeko in that allowance. Seems harsh to find fault with Edin, call for his head, and ship him out at a discounted price and then celebrate the rest of our starting 11.

Total side note, but is there a Wolfsburg expert around to answer a question? Eeverybody keeps saying Dzeko needs crosses to thrive, but I remember someone posting a breakdown of goals during his Bundesliga tenure and the number of goals from crosses was shockingly low. They played through balls to him by and large, at his feet, and he had a great record of finishing. The trick was not expecting anything tiki-taka from him... just give him the ball when you're ready for him to shoot. Wish I had those statistics, it seems limiting to say "we're not a team that crosses with wingers so we don't have a place for Dzeko."

That's my two cents. We can all go back to not changing each other's mind now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.