Dzeko, what's his next move?

If Dzeko leaves it will weaken the team, so I hope he stays.

He's not the most skilled striker in the world, in the same sense as an Aguero is skilled, but the man can score goals. He seems to be a lot of people's whipping boy on here but I've always thought he has a pretty good strike rate for a player woefully misused. I think if we play to his strengths he can be a 20+ goal a season striker.

That being said, he can be frustratingly poor, and if he struggles under Pellegrini, it would make sense to sell him next summer. But in a system that plays to his strengths under an allegedly good man manager, I think he could have a very good year.

Goo said:
Dzeko has game time and (more significantly) training time to prove he should be 1st choice striker. He's not 1st choice because Aguero is better, simple as.
What exactly was Aguero better at this last season? It wasn't scoring goals that's for sure. He also created less goal scoring chances than Dzeko. This is not figure skating, looking better doesn't get you Champions league.

There's not point saying "change the system and he'll bang them in" because our system works for every other player. To change an entire attacking system for one player, especially one who is 3rd choice striker, is simply crazy!
The system is being changed weather you like it or not. Despite the system which had no width (something that utilizes Dzeko's aerial threat), he's still the most prolific striker, which speaks volumes of how much better of a striker he was than anyone else on the team this past season. With no consistent playing time too.
Dzeko played circa 100 less minutes than Aguero last season. You're making it sound like he literally never played yet scored loads more.
Played less, scored more, yet Dzeko is the one being shit on or blamed for lack of goals this season.

Yes stats are pretty much conclusive, but you're just cherry picking the ones which make him seem like a world beater. Unless you can provide lots of mutually supporting facts and stats then what you're posting is essentially useless. You can find individual stats to support the case of any striker.
Any important stat peggs Dzeko as a huge contributing factor to the team's success. Scoring important goals, best goals per minute, best chance creation, even the stats in which he laggs behind in, he's nowhere near as bad as his detractors would have you believe. At least I am using factual evidence to support my claims, vs someone just calling Dzeko shit with no proof.

Every match thread Dzeko is the one getting blamed. The amount of hate he gets is unbelievable.

noise said:
Goo said:
Dzeko has game time and (more significantly) training time to prove he should be 1st choice striker. He's not 1st choice because Aguero is better, simple as.
What exactly was Aguero better at this last season? It wasn't scoring goals that's for sure. He also created less goal scoring chances than Dzeko.

There's not point saying "change the system and he'll bang them in" because our system works for every other player. To change an entire attacking system for one player, especially one who is 3rd choice striker, is simply crazy!
The system is being changed weather you like it or not. Despite the system which had no width (something that utilizes Dzeko's aerial threat), he's still the most prolific striker, which speaks volumes of how much better of a striker he was than anyone else on the team this past season. With no consistent playing time too.
Dzeko played circa 100 less minutes than Aguero last season. You're making it sound like he literally never played yet scored loads more.
Played less, scored more, yet Dzeko is the one being shit on or blamed for lack of goals this season.

Yes stats are pretty much conclusive, but you're just cherry picking the ones which make him seem like a world beater. Unless you can provide lots of mutually supporting facts and stats then what you're posting is essentially useless. You can find individual stats to support the case of any striker.
Any important stat peggs Dzeko as a huge contributing factor to the team's success. Scoring important goals, best goals per minute, best chance creation, even the stats in which he laggs behind in, he's nowhere near as bad as his detractors would have you believe. At least I am using factual evidence to support my claims, vs someone just calling Dzeko shit with no proof.

Every match thread Dzeko is the one getting blamed. The amount of hate he gets is unbelievable.

I agree with pretty much everything, especially that last bit. He scored two of the most important goals in the clubs recent history. Against notts co in the FA cup and second against QPR that will understandably always be overshadowed by Agueroooooooooo. But these two goals alone were vital in winning the FA cup and the league, something I never though I would see city do, so for that I will always be grateful.

Does anyone else feel like this thread is the same arguments all over and over and over again?

What the actual fuck.

Noise, I'm not continuing this argument. We're just going around in circles. You say I have no "proof" but I've seen 2 and a half seasons of proof to know Dzeko is not good enough, and I'm sick of thinking at the start of games "OK please just prove me wrong" and then see the ball bounce off his foot like it's flubber every time a ball is played to his feet.

Aguero did everything but score last season, which was unfortunate, but at least you felt like something was going to happen when the ball was at his feet.

At the end of the day, we both want the same thing. I want Dzeko to come good just as much as anyone else, but as I've previously stated, I see no evidence to suggest that is going to happen.

@yankblue: I will always be grateful for those goals too, but that doesn't mean we should keep him in the squad if he isn't good enough.

Jumanji said:
Does anyone else feel like this thread is the same arguments all over and over and over again?

What the actual fuck.

Not to pick on you here, but this thread/topic has long-since been a weird, broken record, surreal David Lynch-type place for people who are fascinated with talking about Dzeko -- both haters and supporters. We're Dzeko-subject fetishists, who like having arguments with hundreds of other people who will never change their mind. Or we just like reading the arguments, like watching someone struggle to parallel park. But the one thing I can't get my head around in these never-ending pages on Dzeko, which will probably go on forever until the internet breaks, is that people periodically come in here and say things like "are we still talking about this?"

Do you return to this topic hoping to find that the whole thing got settled? Some 16-year-old savant managed to word a composing argument, for one side or the other, and the rest of us all happily bowed to the newly revealed truth? Just a thread of people congratulating each other on finally seeing things the same way, and apologizing for all the of the nasty shit said along the way?

Just trying to wrap my head around what you actually expect upon your return, if you're legitimately surprised that the thread is still going without any sign of progress.

Goo said:
Noise, I'm not continuing this argument. We're just going around in circles. You say I have no "proof" but I've seen 2 and a half seasons of proof to know Dzeko is not good enough, and I'm sick of thinking at the start of games "OK please just prove me wrong" and then see the ball bounce off his foot like it's flubber every time a ball is played to his feet.

Aguero did everything but score last season, which was unfortunate, but at least you felt like something was going to happen when the ball was at his feet.

At the end of the day, we both want the same thing. I want Dzeko to come good just as much as anyone else, but as I've previously stated, I see no evidence to suggest that is going to happen.

@yankblue: I will always be grateful for those goals too, but that doesn't mean we should keep him in the squad if he isn't good enough.

Aguero was still our top scorer in all competitive matches (not just the league) and the top scorer in terms of goals per game (assuming 94 mins per game). He also had no scoring drought of longer than 4 games (i.e. 376 mins) all season.

However, the team scored significantly less when Aguero was on the pitch; the rest of the team only averaged 1.10 goals per game, whereas they scored 1.42 with Tevez and 1.50 with Dzeko. So it may not have been obvious from watching individual games (which is why you use stats - ask anyone conducting a study on the effectiveness of a new drug), but the rest of the team was more productive last season when Dzeko was on the pitch.

Those are all facts (assuming I didn't make any math errors compiling the data...), but explaining them is a matter for debate (so here goes). I'd guess that the focus was very much on getting the ball to Aguero last season (with good reason after his stellar 2011-12), and since he had a quiet year (by his standards), the team suffered.

-- Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:28 pm --

Tron Coltrane said:
Jumanji said:

What the actual fuck.

Not to pick on you here, but this thread/topic has long-since been a weird, broken record, surreal David Lynch-type place for people who are fascinated with talking about Dzeko -- both haters and supporters. We're Dzeko-subject fetishists, who like having arguments with hundreds of other people who will never change their mind. Or we just like reading the arguments, like watching someone struggle to parallel park. But the one thing I can't get my head around in these never-ending pages on Dzeko, which will probably go on forever until the internet breaks, is that people periodically come in here and say things like "are we still talking about this?"

Do you return to this topic hoping to find that the whole thing got settled? Some 16-year-old savant managed to word a composing argument, for one side or the other, and the rest of us all happily bowed to the newly revealed truth? Just a thread of people congratulating each other on finally seeing things the same way, and apologizing for all the of the nasty shit said along the way?

Just trying to wrap my head around what you actually expect upon your return, if you're legitimately surprised that the thread is still going without any sign of progress.

Ha! Spot on TC!

To answer OP, his next move is to be in the first 11 for EPL and CL matches and score 25+ wonderful goals (with left and right leg, left knee, header and overhead) IF he does not leave our lovely club before Sep 01st.<br /><br />-- Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:37 pm --<br /><br />
Jumanji said:

What the actual fuck.

Have you ever praised his goals, work rate and contribution to the team since he joined the club?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.