Dzeko

If we keep the exact strikers we have now we will improve. Our strikers are going to get better the more they play together, another season with just these 4 would do us no harm whatsoever.

LoveCity said:
Quite simply you need a greater level of consistency to be world class, Dzeko blows hot and cold far too much. If he could play like he did against Spurs every second game then he would be world class and possibly the best target man in the world... he was better than Ibra and Benzema on that day but only that day unfortunately.

yes 4 goals every game would certainly be world class!

Unfortunately I don't think Mancini shares your view, he would like RVP and the sooner everyone on here gets on board and accepts the fact the better. The only way we will start with the four we have is RVP elects to join another club and with the bile being spouted by Wenger against us and the fact the Rags are pursuing the brazillian kid I believe it is between us and Juventus and I am now firmly of the view all we need to do is bid more than 20m for this to happen.

Wouldn't surprise me if the bomb bay doors are opening as I type this with a bloody big bang monday so that he can join us in China on Tuesday.

LoveCity said:
Quite simply you need a greater level of consistency to be world class, Dzeko blows hot and cold far too much. If he could play like he did against Spurs every second game then he would be world class and possibly the best target man in the world... he was better than Ibra and Benzema on that day but only that day unfortunately.
Most sense I've seen on this thread up to now. He had far more dog shit performances than good ones last year. His performances against Lisbon and everton last year was the worst I've seen in a city player since the new era. People who'd rather dzeko than van persie are fucking deluded.

paul.manc said:
BlueAnorak said:
Edin scored so many vital goals for us last season.
I think if we got RVP or Cavani we really would get the best out of Dzeko. Someone to share the load for crosses into the box.

For me Dzeko should stay. If anyone is to go it's Tevez.

Other than Spurs and to make it 2-2 against QPR, I can't think of many other times when he scored any 'vital' goals.

So if we were to get RVP, where would Tevez, Aguero and Balotelli fit in, who are all clearly better footballers and fit in more with our style of play
I'm not quite sure if this is a wind-up.<br /><br />-- Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:24 pm --<br /><br />
Rammyblues said:
Unfortunately I don't think Mancini shares your view, he would like RVP and the sooner everyone on here gets on board and accepts the fact the better. The only way we will start with the four we have is RVP elects to join another club and with the bile being spouted by Wenger against us and the fact the Rags are pursuing the brazillian kid I believe it is between us and Juventus and I am now firmly of the view all we need to do is bid more than 20m for this to happen.

Wouldn't surprise me if the bomb bay doors are opening as I type this with a bloody big bang monday so that he can join us in China on Tuesday.
RammyBlue, this is not a wind-up or in any way challenging what you are saying but where has this been said; where has Mancini specifically come out and said that RVP is a must, no fail? I ask you as nobody seems to be able to commit.

LoveCity said:

LOL. But let's leave the childlike world of make-believe (or of FIFA 13?) and consider some FACTS about premier league barren spells for strikers:

Edin Dzeko's worst spell in 2011-12 was from 27 Nov to 3 Jan when he failed to score in 7 premier league appearances. But wait a minute: in each of 4 of those games he was on the field for less than 10 minutes. We clearly need to take minutes on the field rather than appearances. On that basis, Dzeko's worst spell was to fail to score in 291 minutes.

Let's consider van Persie, the (deserved) winner of the Golden Boot in 2011-12. From 21 March to 21 April, he scored 1 goal in 630 minutes. As to his barren spell in the 2010-11 season -- he did not score before 1st January! -- that had much to do with injuries: that barren spell only lasted 264 minutes.

What about Rooney? For the 2011-12 season, from 1 Oct to 3 Dec, he went 652 minutes without a goal. This was not the first time Rooney has had a poor spell in the premier league: in 2010-11, from 16 Oct to 13 Dec, he scored 1 goal in 599 minutes; and in 2008-09, from 14 March to end of that season, Rooney scored just 2 goals in 636 minutes.

What about Carlos Tevez? Of course, as virtually every football journalist knows, Mark Hughes brought the best out of him and he hit the ground running for City! But hang on a minute: from 15 August to 28 Nov 2009, he scored just 2 goals in 976 minutes (and he was devastated to have scored those, since both were against West Ham!).

No doubt others can find some illuminating examples of barren spells.

Some posters repeatedly flaunt their complete and utter ignorance about what is entailed in playing football at the highest level or, more generally, about top-level sports performance. The world's Number 1 golfer can score 65 one day and score 75 the very next day on the same course under more favourable weather conditions. And he does not rely on teammates; nor is he tackled by an opponent just as he is hitting a drive. Some posters should think about whether they are making fools of themselves, particularly on threads about Edin Dzeko.

Postscripts:
(i) The above stats are given in good faith but I have to admit my head was spinning at times. I gave up trying to count the minutes of Torres's barren spells ( 0 goals from 29 Dec to 24 March in 2011-12, and 1 goal from 6 Feb to the end of the 2010-11 season)!
(ii) For the pedantic-minded, "X scored 0 goals in Y minutes" should strictly read "X scored 0 goals in at least Y minutes". For all I know, it could conceivably be, say, Y + 178 minutes, i.e., X scored in the 1st minute of the previous game and in the 90th minute of the game following the barren spell.

Van Persie can contribute in more ways than scoring goals. He created the for Arsenal last season.

We have plenty of guys who can score goals. That is sometimes our problem. Edin, Aguero, and Mario all want to make the same runs and operate in the same manner. Tevez balances this nicely because he can drop deep and operate effectively. RVP can operate as CF and distribute, I think that's why Mancini pursues RVP rather than someone like Cavani.

Robin van Persie created 92 of Arsenal’s 504 chances on the season. He contributed 9 goal assists. Coupled with his 30 goals, he accounted for 39 of their 74 – 52.7%. The reliance on van Persie has to be worrying as Arsenal contemplate life without him. Even more worrying for Arsene Wenger will be his side’s poor shooting accuracy and chance conversion once van Persie’s statistics are discounted.

The 92 chances created by van Persie was far and away the most chances created by any member of the squad. Far behind RvP were Arteta (60), Ramsey (55) and Song (46).
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.eplindex.com/15004/robin-van-persie-the-best-of-the-best-opta-stats.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.eplindex.com/15004/robin-van ... stats.html</a>

Van Persie created 92 chances. By contrast, Silva (who led the league) created 104 according to Opta.

Ireland_for_pm said:
LoveCity said:
Most sense I've seen on this thread up to now. He had far more dog shit performances than good ones last year. His performances against Lisbon and everton last year was the worst I've seen in a city player since the new era. People who'd rather dzeko than van persie are fucking deluded.

Indeed.

Nice description of those 2 performances also :)

Dog_poop_sign_DNA_testing.jpg

He was inconsistent, but he was in and out of the team. And not really through his own lack of form.

he lost his place after scoring 4 at Spurs which was the best forward display from a City player I have ever seen, but the manager got it right because we won the League

Don't underestimate the value to City if having an unselfish player who is prepared to play the squad game. The only reason Dzeko is not an automatic starter is because we have the best two forwards in the Premiership in Aguero and Tevez

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.