Earliest City match attended by a forum member

Surely some of you oldies will have had parents/grandparents that attended games in the early 1900's?

My first City game was seeing Derek 'the Tank 'Kevan score a hatrick against Ipswich... 4-0 final score in November 63?..my mate across the road's birthday treat.. Don't remember much about Derek Tennyson Kevan but later learnt he played for England in The 58 World cup scoring against One of the greatest Goalies... Lev Yashin... Later played for County and Macc and sadly died I believe in 2013.

This should be on a different thread I know but the earliest games anyone I have interviewed could talk about with definite knowledge of being there came from a guy called Harry Hughes who attended games towards the end of World War One and spoke vividly of games v Utd in 1920 and against Burnley & Bradford Park Avenue later that season. His memory was spot on and he mentioned stuff about the games that wasn't common knowledge (not in the 1990s when I was interviewing him anyway). When I researched the newspapers for that 1920-21 season everything he had mentioned was accurate, including a confrontation between the Bradford keeper and City fans giving him abuse.
My dad was from Beverley Yorkshire. Went to his first game at Hull City August 1914, aged 4.Couple of months later his dad was in the trenches. Became a massive blue when I came along, detested United.

My first City game was seeing Derek 'the Tank 'Kevan score a hatrick against Ipswich... 4-0 final score in November 63?..my mate across the road's birthday treat.. Don't remember much about Derek Tennyson Kevan but later learnt he played for England in The 58 World cup scoring against One of the greatest Goalies... Lev Yashin... Later played for County and Macc and sadly died I believe in 2013.
It wasn’t in 1963-64 as Ipswich were still in the First Division. It was in the 1964-65 season when City beat Ipswich 4-0.

Derek Kevan scores two and Jimmy Murray the other two.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.