Earliest City match attended by a forum member

Slightly different slant, but a mate of mine who is now in his mid 70's was brought up in Ashton in Makerfield and he told me a great story a while ago. His parents told him that when he was a toddler in the 1940's they used to take him to (quote) "watch the Germans play". They would go down to the POW camp where of course Bert was being held and although my mate was too young then to remember any of it he reckons he must have seen the great man playing in goal for the POWs.

Well beaten by most of you lads/lasses. Can't recall first game, think it was a Central League match v Everton circa 75/76 (maybe?) and think it finished 0-0. I just remember spending the whole game running around an empty Kippax. The only thing I recall of my first proper match is me and my dad (no longer with us, bless him) stood on the corner between Kippax and Platt Lane. Think he chose to go in there coz it was the cheapest, like 50/60p or something. Eventually it got made strictly 'away' fans only and we moved to the Platt Lane.

The last game I recall from that corner was notable... Again, don't remember the opposition (I wanna say West Ham) but I was pestering dad to buy me a poster of Tueart's overhead kick in the '76 LC Final. City were losing 1-2 and he relented reluctantly, leaving a few minutes early to go to ye olde souvenir shoppe. Naturally, by the time we exited said shop City had scored twice and we won 3-2! He never let me forget that till his dying day!

Also, as an aside, when my mum (also no longer with us) was stationed down south during World War 2 she used to go along to watch Millwall where she and her army mates would chuck rotten fruit and veg at the players! I used to tell her she must have been the progenitor of the Millwall 'bushwackers' crew. She seemed oddly proud of that!

Great thread, this, Blues...

Just asked the old fella
1954 v Charlton
Remembers the cup runs in 55/56, said we played United in one of the runs to the final and beat Everton and Liverpool on the bounce in the other
Got to United tie 3 hours before so he could get in first and get to the concrete wall

Since 56 the only Wembley trip he missed apart from Charity shields is the Gillingham game as my grandad wasn’t good

Last years FA cup final after the Match I’m outside Wembley as it’s quieting down and some Watford fans about 30 came over and asked “ excuse me mate, where were you when you were shit “ :)

I’m sure there’s a few Dipper fans out there who’ll attest to being on the Koop in 1829 when the mighty reds won the domestic treble and scored 199 points in the old First Division. Legendary Liverpool striker Jimmy Grant scores 75 goals in his debut season - a league record never to be surpassed. The following year Liverpool went on to win the European Cup, UEFA Cup, the UnFairs Cup and the Cup Winners Cup in an unlikely quadruple. They defeated Prussian Side Dynamo Gdańsk 16:0 in the final. The final was marred by crowd trouble when locals from the Kings Road in London travelled to the final in disguise are created havoc. Liverpool went on to win the next 25 European cups as all other European teams were banned from European competition.

Unlike a lot of blues on here, City actually won the first game I attended - February 25th 1978. Brian Kidd scored the only goal with a header from a rebound. Always remember the newspaper headline the day after - “Kidd winner was offside !” complained then Everton manager Gordon Lee ( it wasn’t !!! ) Mind you - 1978 makes me a positive JCL compared to some on here...... is 1946 still winning ???

Good thread. I'm well beaten by many on here but the first game I can remember going to was a 3-0 defeat at Burnley on 29th September 1973. I remember it due to the level of abuse being dished out to Joe Corrigan, so probably a little before he turned it around!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.