Ederson or Hart. Who gets into the team of the decade?

Sometimes luck is in your favour. Joe was an okay keeper in a very good side. He joined us at just the right time when money needed to be spent in other positions. He hasn't lost form just got found out in a mid table side where he had more work to do.

Why wasn't he found out at Birmingham then? The opposite happened, he made his name at midtable.

Hart played a vital role in City's resurgence, and I remember a vital save from Andy Carroll at Anfield, and the home game against Borussia Dortmund in particular.

His form seemed to dip around 2015-16, and to be fair, the mistakes continued at Euro 16, and then at Torino, and back in the Premier League.

He also strikes me as a future TV pundit with genuine City bias.

Ederson is a different type of footballing goalkeeper, and it might require a few more years, before we judge his overall legacy.

Slightly off-topic maybe, because I do think Hart gets in TOTD unless we win the Champions League this season, but...

I don't think there's any truth to the idea that Ederson is a weaker shot-stopper and don't think there's any reliable or meaningful evidence to back that up.
More likely, it comes from the media-enforced stereotype that ball-playing 'keepers are bad with their hands, popularised by bitter ex-pros like Peter Schmeichel who resist the change to their ex-profession and aggravated by the exploits of Claudio Bravo and Loris Karius. In fact, Ederson has shown on several occasions that he's easily capable of stunning saves Hart would be very proud of.

It seems to me that Hart let in as many, if not more, soft goals per season as Ederson has been doing. It's well known that Hart was poor low to his left side- Ederson has no such weakness. A club legend he may be but I think his shot-stopping superiority is primarily imagined as a result of nostalgia and amplified by a reluctance to admit he wasn't as good as we remember.

And that's only mentioning before he left us. If you look at the library of embarrassing mistakes Hart's made since joining Torino, any suggestion that he's more reliable with his hands than Ederson becomes laughable.

After all, how many times in the last few years have you seen us concede a goal and been sure Ederson should have done better? Forget the mistakes against Shaktar and Liverpool because they were misplaced passes that had nothing to do with shot-stopping. How many can you think of? Two? Three? Not many, that's for sure.

Ederson is a vastly underrated 'keeper- because he plays for us. If he had replaced De Gea at United in Summer 2017, with the Spaniard going to Real Madrid as was expected, the UK media narrative would be that Ederson was the better player.

I'd also like to point out that Ederson faces far fewer shots because we have one of the world's best defences now, not Demichelis, Lescott and co. Therefore Ederson will never have a Dortmund game or a Real Madrid game.

Last edited:
Why wasn't he found out at Birmingham then? The opposite happened, he made his name at midtable.

This. Saying he got found out is rubbish he put in some outstanding performances against the likes of Barca, Dortmund, Spurs etc.

True his decline has been sharp but that's more of a mental thing imo

for me and am a big fan of joe hart so joe hart must be in the team, when he was on his game he was world class maybe the lifestyle let him down a bit, but without joe in the nets city maybe not won the first premier league league ?? he was a big part in that season and defo saved 10 to 15 points in the tight games and with 4 golden gloves says he is in goal for the team of the decade

ederson will be the best keeper city has had for some time if he can play for the next 10 years in goal at city, then will be talked about with the greats of the game never mind manchester city but world football, he can be that good and to think he has change the game for keepers in england in 2 and a bit seasons says something, and all teams are wanting the sweeper keeper we have in the sticks and i think ederson is the bench mark

Slightly off-topic maybe, because I do think Hart gets in TOTD unless we win the Champions League this season, but...

I don't think there's any truth to the idea that Ederson is a weaker shot-stopper and don't think there's any reliable or meaningful evidence to back that up.
More likely, it comes from the media-enforced stereotype that ball-playing 'keepers are bad with their hands, popularised by bitter ex-pros like Peter Schmeichel who resist the change to their ex-profession and aggravated by the exploits of Claudio Bravo and Loris Karius. In fact, Ederson has shown on several occasions that he's easily capable of stunning saves Hart would be very proud of.

It seems to me that Hart let in as many, if not more, soft goals per season as Ederson has been doing. It's well known that Hart was poor low to his left side- Ederson has no such weakness. A club legend he may be but I think his shot-stopping superiority is primarily imagined as a result of nostalgia and amplified by a reluctance to admit he wasn't as good as we remember.

And that's only mentioning before he left us. If you look at the library of embarrassing mistakes Hart's made since joining Torino, any suggestion that he's more reliable with his hands than Ederson becomes laughable.

After all, how many times in the last few years have you seen us concede a goal and been sure Ederson should have done better? Forget the mistakes against Shaktar and Liverpool because they were misplaced passes that had nothing to do with shot-stopping. How many can you think of? Two? Three? Not many, that's for sure.

Ederson is a vastly underrated 'keeper- because he plays for us. If he had replaced De Gea at United in Summer 2017, with the Spaniard going to Real Madrid as was expected, the UK media narrative would be that Ederson was the better player.

I'd also like to point out that Ederson faces far fewer shots because we have one of the world's best defences now, not Demichelis, Lescott and co. Therefore Ederson will never have a Dortmund game or a Real Madrid game.
Good post

Also Hart seemed to always want to punch the ball clear instead of trying to catch it. And I lost count goals he conceded whilst defending his near post, rooted to the spot whilst the ball was squared to tap into an unguarded net. I'm not bashing Joe, it's just that he has regressed badly when at 31 he should be established as one of the world's top keepers.

Sorry to upset you blue tinted glasses wearing sentimentalists. Ederson is 'head and shoulders' above Hart as a keeper and still progressing.

in that period of time hart was fantastic and wouldn't put anybody in his boots.

but ederson is in a league of his own as a modern day keeper, nothing wrong with his shot stopping to. We are lucky to have him, hope to see his 10 year testimonial.

so in answer - He's Ederson

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.