Ederson?!!

I acknowledge that, just speaking to the people who don't think it's going to be a big blow. We are the hardest team to press in the world and a large part of that is because of Eddie's distribution.
Maybe, but interesting thing is something else.

Most important games against Arsenal, Real, United recently. They do not press us in the first phase of the build up. First line of pressing is about 20-25 yards from our GK. Ederson or Ortega stands with ball and everybody's waiting. Its been entirely different story previous season, lets say first goal against Arsenal (4:1). Stones passes under pressure in our penalty box long ball to Haaland, who plays it wonderfuly to KDB and KDB pull off one of his best runs and goals.

Best teams recognised that their team/defensive structure is to high up the pitch when apply pressing all the way against City. So they took a step back and start pressing when defensive structure is more or less in the middle.

There are options tbf, the Brighton/Netherlands keeper is only 21. He could understudy/push Ortega for a year and then you have an outstanding keeper for a decade taking over. Same with the Lazio kid (not sure he's in the outstanding bracket yet though but stats are all good)

View attachment 124272
i mean i'm not insisting on costa, plenty of great keepers out there , all i'm saying if we are selling eddie then we must directly replace him with the similar attributes he has that made him a perfect pep player

i mean i'm not insisting on costa, plenty of great keepers out there , all i'm saying if we are selling eddie then we must directly replace him with the similar attributes he has that made him a perfect pep player
Gotcha, lucky pep changed the game and all keepers are being taught this way, more options than usual in the game just get the right one

How much would a new first choice keeper cost us if Ortega isn't it?

Not sure. But I'd be amazed if we bought a new first choice, pushing Ortega down to number 2 to a different keeper, and Ortega being happy with it.

Pretty sure that even though he's just extended for a year, he'd be requesting a transfer if that happened.

Or trust Pep to evolve the way we play to suit the keepers we have/get

Love Ederson but think people may be overvaluing his importance to us going forward. As of late he hasn't come up with big saves at the same rate of the worlds top keepers. His distribution is obviously ace, but as others have mentioned above, that's the expectation for most young keepers these days.

Obviously a bit of nostalgia involved. He's been a fixture in our XI for much of our glory days. But, personally I'm not opposed to moving him on. In fact, I wouldn't care if Ortega was our first choice this season and we signed a stop-gap backup while ensuring we find the right guy for the future. Many of the goalkeeping analysts suggest that Ortega is just as good as Ederson, could even be better. Ortega likely has more hunger to prove himself at the top level.

If Costa is available, I'm all for that, however. Looks class.

I love Eddie, but no hard feelings if he decides to take the mega Saudi offer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.