Ederson

Why do we seem to be settling for second best if Eddie leaves, I just don’t get it. Pep believed Eddie was rightly number one. If Eddie goes, no one on this forum in all honesty believes Ortega is the next best. Sorry just don’t believe it, just sentiment!
I may be mistaken but Ortega only signed a one year extension but that was before Eddie looked Saudi bound. Seems he was okay with being back up so not sure that rules anything out in terms of us buying a #1 in the event Eddie leaves.

Speaking to if Ortega is our #1 and the "2nd best" issue - Ortega has proven he is a better shot stopper than Ederson- and if Eddie is on goal for a PK... might as well give the goal as Eddie does not have that on his locker. No doubt Eddie is a better handler, distributor. Ortega had a few bobbles but Eddie made several gaffes which may seem less overall since he had more games.

I'd posit Eddie was more pivotal for us his first few seasons as our defense was not nearly the caliber it is now... Ortega barely gets matches and I'd contend would look a more stable choice at #1 with more consistent game time.

No one has Eddies handle (footdle?) nor distributolion. Its like asking "who can we slot in for assists to match KDBs output".

We have the luxury of Ortega as a backup and he easily could have left after this season and slotted in as #1 at a major club. I'd be disappointed if Eddie goes as he's a worldie talent but it's not like we are looking at Z Stefen or Carson slotting in.

The big difference between Ederson and say Cucurella is that Ederson is arguably in the top three keepers in the world especially if you are a team that wants to play football from the back. Cucurella wasn't in the top three left backs in the PL never mind the world.
That's not relevant to a smaller club. To them, their player is a top 1 player they can get at that position.

It is even more important for them to overcharge. As they don't have the clout to replace with similar talent.

City either pay up or move on. Name a player which they bullied the club into offering less for? That’s my point.
Never said City has. But that's neither here nor there. You can't bully anyone. You can offer to pay less and haggle. And the team can eventually cave or not.

That said, I'm.simply pointing out how fans feel when Brighton slaps a 60 million on a player they got for 10. And everyone thinks they are being dicks. .They aren't. All teams have a right to demand whatever price they want .

If Ederson is off then Costa does make sense. We were meant to be linked with Werder Bremen's keeper but that seems to be a Ortega replacement which we no longer require.

Yes, but he was very valuable for Brighton
So who skews the market then? By that reckoning Paul Mullins is very valuable for Wrexham, doesn't mean clubs should pay £50M+ and whilst Cucurella may have been valuable for Brighton he wasn't worth what Chelsea paid.

That's not relevant to a smaller club. To them, their player is a top 1 player they can get at that position.

It is even more important for them to overcharge. As they don't have the clout to replace with similar talent.
And we walk away if we think they are taking the piss. In the same way other clubs can walk away from buying our players if they think we are asking too much.

I may be mistaken but Ortega only signed a one year extension but that was before Eddie looked Saudi bound. Seems he was okay with being back up so not sure that rules anything out in terms of us buying a #1 in the event Eddie leaves.

Speaking to if Ortega is our #1 and the "2nd best" issue - Ortega has proven he is a better shot stopper than Ederson- and if Eddie is on goal for a PK... might as well give the goal as Eddie does not have that on his locker. No doubt Eddie is a better handler, distributor. Ortega had a few bobbles but Eddie made several gaffes which may seem less overall since he had more games.

I'd posit Eddie was more pivotal for us his first few seasons as our defense was not nearly the caliber it is now... Ortega barely gets matches and I'd contend would look a more stable choice at #1 with more consistent game time.

No one has Eddies handle (footdle?) nor distributolion. Its like asking "who can we slot in for assists to match KDBs output".

We have the luxury of Ortega as a backup and he easily could have left after this season and slotted in as #1 at a major club. I'd be disappointed if Eddie goes as he's a worldie talent but it's not like we are looking at Z Stefen or Carson slotting in.
Time will tell, if Eddie leaves and Ortega is number one. The proof as they say will be in the pudding. Discussion continues into the new season.

And we walk away if we think they are taking the piss. In the same way other clubs can walk away from buying our players if they think we are asking too much.
Yes. But that's the point of my original post, no one is taking a piss. Everyone has a value for their players and you pay it or leave.

As it is with us, so it is with Brighton.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.