Edin Dzeko (continued)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been watching City for over 50 years and he's one of the best strikers I've seen at City.

A really nice bloke too when I met him.

I think most of us don't even know we have an elite striker in Edin Dzeko.

It would kill me if we let him go to another club and then he scores 30 goals a season for that club.

adorado30 said:
Matty said:
noise said:
That's a lot of goals for a 3rd choice striker.
Has he always been the 3rd choice sriker? He's been here 9 months longer than Aguero, and 2.5 years longer than Negredo. Prior to that he was competing with Balotelli, who was never regularly one of our top 2 strikers, and Tevez, who was missing for almost our entire title winning season. It's only really been the second 18 months of his stay where he's been 3rd choice, the first 18 months he was getting a fair few games. Even now, given we'll have played 57 games come the end of the season, this "3rd choice" label is misleading. As "3rd choice" he'll still have started, and participated in, a lot of games this season, probably nearing 40.

Dzeko - 147 appearances, 58 goals. Goal every 2.53 games
Balotelli - 80 appearances, 30 goals. Goal every 2.66 games
Negredo - 41 appearances, 23 goals. Goal every 1.78 games
Tevez - 148 appearances, 74 goals. Goal every 2 games
Aguero - 118 appearances, 74 goals. Goal every 1.59 games

Whilst Dzeko goals scoring is pretty good it's worth noting that his goals to appearances ratio is substantially worse than Tevez's, Aguero's and Negredo's (albeit the later is a far smaller sample size).

His goals to appearances ratio is always going to look worse due to the total minutes he's played.
It's also worth noting, that Aguero has played more minutes in 118 appearances than Dzeko in 147 appearances. Obviously there is a reason for that due Aguero being the better player, but Dzeko isn't doing that bad, like most on here are making it out to be.
As I said previously, a lack of minutes for Dzeko actually means he gets to enter the pitch fresh when everyone else is tired from playing for the previous 70 or so minutes. Given the number of goals City score late on in matches, after we've warn down and tired out the opposition, it could be construed as an advantage to play the final 20 minutes as opposed to the previous 70. Goals per minute doesn't take into account when those minutes occurred.

Matty said:
adorado30 said:
Matty said:
Has he always been the 3rd choice sriker? He's been here 9 months longer than Aguero, and 2.5 years longer than Negredo. Prior to that he was competing with Balotelli, who was never regularly one of our top 2 strikers, and Tevez, who was missing for almost our entire title winning season. It's only really been the second 18 months of his stay where he's been 3rd choice, the first 18 months he was getting a fair few games. Even now, given we'll have played 57 games come the end of the season, this "3rd choice" label is misleading. As "3rd choice" he'll still have started, and participated in, a lot of games this season, probably nearing 40.

Dzeko - 147 appearances, 58 goals. Goal every 2.53 games
Balotelli - 80 appearances, 30 goals. Goal every 2.66 games
Negredo - 41 appearances, 23 goals. Goal every 1.78 games
Tevez - 148 appearances, 74 goals. Goal every 2 games
Aguero - 118 appearances, 74 goals. Goal every 1.59 games

Whilst Dzeko goals scoring is pretty good it's worth noting that his goals to appearances ratio is substantially worse than Tevez's, Aguero's and Negredo's (albeit the later is a far smaller sample size).

His goals to appearances ratio is always going to look worse due to the total minutes he's played.
It's also worth noting, that Aguero has played more minutes in 118 appearances than Dzeko in 147 appearances. Obviously there is a reason for that due Aguero being the better player, but Dzeko isn't doing that bad, like most on here are making it out to be.
As I said previously, a lack of minutes for Dzeko actually means he gets to enter the pitch fresh when everyone else is tired from playing for the previous 70 or so minutes. Given the number of goals City score late on in matches, after we've warn down and tired out the opposition, it could be construed as an advantage to play the final 20 minutes as opposed to the previous 70. Goals per minute doesn't take into account when those minutes occurred.
Fresh legs could be discounted by the fact that most time he was subbed in, was to score and turn the game around, which means the opposing team played a more closed brand of football trying to preserve a lead, they weren't opening them selves as much.

A telling statistic from last season, when we particularly had a hard time scoring in the 1st half:

*Goals scored in the FIRST HALF: Dzeko 8; Aguero 4; Tevez 3.

* Defining a KEY goal as one scored when City were drawing or losing at the time of the goal:
Dzeko 10 key goals @ 182 mins per key goal
Aguero 7 key goals @ 277 mins per key goal
Tevez 7 key goals @ 342 mins per key goal

Dzeko often wasn't even subbed into a game when we had a comfortable lead, he was the B option when things weren't going to the game plan. You really think those are easy goals?

I'd hope that even Edin would confess that he's underperformed since he's been with us. More often than not he's flattered to decieve which is a crying shame considering he obviously possesses a huge amount of ability.

Gaylord du Bois said:
I'd hope that even Edin would confess that he's underperformed since he's been with us. More often than not he's flattered to decieve which is a crying shame considering he obviously possesses a huge amount of ability.

I doubt he views it like that, the impression I get is that he can half ass the majority of the games and then put in the effort when it counts, it would appear he thinks the same way when playing for the national team. Only difference being is he can actually get away with it for Bosnia.

Arsenal and Chelsea fans would probably jump at the chance to sign him on the back of what they see on Match Of The Day, as soon as they watch him game in, game out for 6 months or so they'll realise just why he's so frustrating.

Puppet Master Silva said:
Gaylord du Bois said:

I doubt he views it like that, the impression I get is that he can half ass the majority of the games and then put in the effort when it counts, it would appear he thinks the same way when playing for the national team. Only difference being is he can actually get away with it for Bosnia.

Arsenal and Chelsea fans would probably jump at the chance to sign him on the back of what they see on Match Of The Day, as soon as they watch him game in, game out for 6 months or so they'll realise just why he's so frustrating.

When he was at Wolfsburg he always gave his maximum..i don`t know what changed him..maybe money or women or both :S

blablabla7 said:
Puppet Master Silva said:
Gaylord du Bois said:

When he was at Wolfsburg he always gave his maximum..i don`t know what changed him..maybe money or women or both :S

Being top dog probably had sommat to do with it..

Hes not top dog here yet many get all girly cos hes not playing like a top dog player..

Its not rocket science..

I know many fanclubs where a player is dissed once he leaves the club.

I havent seen anyone get so much shit like Edin does (talking about this forum) while still WITH the club, at the most important stretch of the season.

Is he perfect? Far from it. Is he "shit" - well, look at his career (yes, City included).

Maybe get behind one of your own, eh? Just saying...at least while he's still here.

EaglesFan said:
I know many fanclubs where a player is dissed once he leaves the club.

I havent seen anyone get so much shit like Edin does (talking about this forum) while still WITH the club, at the most important stretch of the season.

Is he perfect? Far from it. Is he "shit" - well, look at his career (yes, City included).

Maybe get behind one of your own, eh? Just saying...at least while he's still here.
Get yourself to a game sometime and you'll see we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.