Edin Dzeko

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clowny said:
Mountaineer said:
Don't buy a player if you don't know how to use him.

And to whom is your advice directed?
Well obviously to the manager who bought him.

I can't blame anyone else for Mancini buying a player he was never going to utilize properly. But I suppose City did still get a lot of important goals out of him when they needed them. Mancini himself said that Dzeko's only flaw was that he needs to play all the time to be at his best. He doesn't handle heavy rotation as well as others.

His ball control whilst taking a defender on is not bad, but his collection is abysmal, surely if you were a coach you would be working him on this problem, to me it seems to be getting worse, he definitely needs to be out under some sort of pressure to make him up his game.

taconinja said:
I'm fine with the player, and I'm fine with supporting the player. Oddly, quite a few very loud Dzeko supporters are just fine trashing every other player and manager and support staff member and anyone else. Funny how complete unquestioning dedication is only supposed to be directed to one player.

I can't comment on every post by every Dzeko supporter, and I'm sure some have been unfairly critical of our other strikers, but I've seen many posts (and contributed a few myself) in which the attempt is not to 'trash' another player (usually Aguero or Tevez) but to make comparisons between things they've done and things Dzeko has done on the pitch (which would seem to be a reasonable thing to do in a discussion forum). It's surely fair to say that if it's fair to criticize Dzeko for missing an easy chance (for example), then it's also fair to criticize Aguero or Tevez for missing a similarly easy chance. Anything else would be hypocritical. As I said, I can't comment on every post, and you may be referring to posts with which I'm unfamiliar, but anyone who considers simple comparisons to be trashing Aguero or Tevez is perhaps too sensitive to be taking part in this debate.

mancunial said:
His ball control whilst taking a defender on is not bad, but his collection is abysmal, surely if you were a coach you would be working him on this problem, to me it seems to be getting worse, he definitely needs to be out under some sort of pressure to make him up his game.

Maybe it 'seems' to be getting worse to you because you want it to get worse. And every time you watch him play, a part of you is just waiting for the ball to be kicked to him and for him to mess up so you can say "SHITTY TOUCH!" lol. Maybe Pellegrini doesn't see what you see, but if he does I'm sure he'll do something about it.

As far as I know, statistically, he doesn't have any more unsuccessful first touches than the other strikers. But he's a much bigger guy than Aguero, so you can't expect the same kind of precise tight ball control. But his first touch on taking shots is usually golden. It was amazing in Wolfsburg and believe it or not he also dribbled past people regularly. He wasn't clumsy at all. He was Bundesliga footballer of the year; I hardly think you win something like that with the world's worst first touch.

Take a look at some of his movement and goals here -- hardly clumsy or slow. Do his feet look slow and clumsy at around 0:50 - 0:55? Or anywhere in that video?

<a class="postlink" href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176bNuD_cxI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=176bNuD_cxI</a>

Dzeko is not for slow intricate play. To be at his best, he needs to play direct, with speed and power to beast. Unless Pellegrini is planning to introduce some of that, I don't see why he decided to keep him. City didn't want to build their team more around him, but if they did, City would have done a lot better last season. When you invest in Dzeko the right way, he will pay off. You either go all in with him or better not at all.

CaliforniaBlue said:
taconinja said:
I'm fine with the player, and I'm fine with supporting the player. Oddly, quite a few very loud Dzeko supporters are just fine trashing every other player and manager and support staff member and anyone else. Funny how complete unquestioning dedication is only supposed to be directed to one player.

I can't comment on every post by every Dzeko supporter, and I'm sure some have been unfairly critical of our other strikers, but I've seen many posts (and contributed a few myself) in which the attempt is not to 'trash' another player (usually Aguero or Tevez) but to make comparisons between things they've done and things Dzeko has done on the pitch (which would seem to be a reasonable thing to do in a discussion forum). It's surely fair to say that if it's fair to criticize Dzeko for missing an easy chance (for example), then it's also fair to criticize Aguero or Tevez for missing a similarly easy chance. Anything else would be hypocritical. As I said, I can't comment on every post, and you may be referring to posts with which I'm unfamiliar, but anyone who considers simple comparisons to be trashing Aguero or Tevez is perhaps too sensitive to be taking part in this debate.
How about name-calling? Do you consider that a "simple comparison?"

taconinja said:
CaliforniaBlue said:
taconinja said:

No, that wouldn't be a "simple comparison", and it would be out of order, but I haven't seen too much of that by Dzeko supporters (as I said, I can't comment on every post or poster, and there are probably a lot of ridiculous ones in the 3000+ pages of this thread). I'm pretty sure there's been a lot more name calling in Dzeko's direction, to be quite honest, and whatever you think of his ability, I don't think that's okay either.

Since you only seem to have a problem with name-calling, I hope this means you agree that comparisons are a perfectly reasonable way to discuss the relative merits of our players.

CaliforniaBlue said:
taconinja said:
CaliforniaBlue said:

No, that wouldn't be a "simple comparison", and it would be out of order, but I haven't seen too much of that by Dzeko supporters (as I said, I can't comment on every post or poster, and there are probably a lot of ridiculous ones in the 3000+ pages of this thread). I'm pretty sure there's been a lot more name calling in Dzeko's direction, to be quite honest, and whatever you think of his ability, I don't think that's okay either.

Since you only seem to have a problem with name-calling, I hope this means you agree that comparisons are a perfectly reasonable way to discuss the relative merits of our players.
Sure. I don't agree with simply stringing numbers out though without context. As I said, I like and support the player. Doesn't change the fact that Nimely looked better today. Hopefully that motivates Dzeko.

Mountaineer said:
I guess I'll post my thoughts as someone who has watched Dzeko for most of his career.

As long as I've been reading this forum, I've always wondered just how and why do certain members manage to blame one player for everything even when the entire team plays like crap. Dzeko plays a half and doesn't score, he sucks. Aguero plays a half and doesn't score -- nobody says anything nearly as negative.

Despite being a complete monster in the Bundesliga and despite being a monster for his national team, some City fans are so convinced that Dzeko sucks and has always sucked and nothing can change that. So Dzeko, while sucking mind you, manages to score as many or more goals as Aguero or Tevez, and in less time. Strange. Defies all logic. All three have a mediocre season, but only Dzeko sucks. Strange.

Funny how the "sucking" only started once Mancini got a hold of him. Before that, nobody would have even entertained the idea that 'Dzeko sucks'. His first touch was great too, but now it's "the worst on the planet". Was all that stuff in the Bundesliga a fluke? Or how about for the national team? Fluke? At City he can admittedly sometimes look comatose for most of the match, and then a few days later he looks beastly for the national team. Odd.

If Dzeko has become lazy since coming to City, it is because the style of play under Mancini was slow and lazy. Back to the goal for the entire match, just waiting for the ball, instead of aggressive fast paced attacking football like Wolfsburg and like the Bosnian national team. Don't buy a player if you don't know how to use him.

Always the victim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.