Elano Gone [Merged]

No doubting he was a talented player and a good weapon in the attacking armoury.

If he had been able to keep his mouth shut and knuckle down he would still be here.

When a player is being disruptive then a parting of the ways is inevitable. Hughes had to show whos in charge.

I agree with Hughes to get rid.

Some people need their heads checking!

You'd have thought we just sold Maradona reading some of the crap on here. If Elano is this world class player, then why has he ended up at Galatasaray? Not La Liga, or Serie A, but Galatasaray! He was capable of flashes of brilliance, the key word being flashes. Class is born out of consistency.

As for the poster who even mentioned him in the same breathe as Colin Bell, were you being serious?

Elano is a very talented player. He produced some great performances for us, and gave us some great memories, but over two seasons not enough for someone of his ability. He was a marvellous penalty taker, though!

I wish him well, but it's been obvious that, since last October, his relationship with Hughes was extremely fractious to say the least. Once it became clear in May that Hughes would be managing us in 2009/10, it became highly unlikely that Elano would be playing for us.

I enjoyed immensely some of what Elano produced in our colours and wish him well. But I don't oppose the sale, and it's telling that he hasn't gone to a major player in one of the big European leagues.

Manford said:

You'd have thought we just sold Maradona reading some of the crap on here. If Elano is this world class player, then why has he ended up at Galatasaray? Not La Liga, or Serie A, but Galatasaray! He was capable of flashes of brilliance, the key word being flashes. Class is born out of consistency.

As for the poster who even mentioned him in the same breathe as Colin Bell, were you being serious?

If you can't see that he was our most influential player when on form then you want your head testing. He won't go down in folklore like Bell has because he didn't get the chance to. He's had 2 years at a club that has been in permanent transition in that time, and I think it's horrible that we could let a player of that calibre go just as we start to assemble a squad that can compete at the top of the league. If this is what Hughes means by managing big egos, then he is going to have a hard time keeping his job for long as bigger players join and he finds it hard to find a spot in the team for them. I think this is a big mistake by Hughes.

goatfeeder100 said:
Manford said:

If you can't see that he was our most influential player when on form then you want your head testing. He won't go down in folklore like Bell has because he didn't get the chance to. He's had 2 years at a club that has been in permanent transition in that time, and I think it's horrible that we could let a player of that calibre go just as we start to assemble a squad that can compete at the top of the league. If this is what Hughes means by managing big egos, then he is going to have a hard time keeping his job for long as bigger players join and he finds it hard to find a spot in the team for them. I think this is a big mistake by Hughes.

And how many times in those 2 years was he our most influential player? No more than 5 games a season imo. How many away games did he turn up for again? Apart from Everton last season and Newcastle under Sven, i can't remember any great away performances.

Was capable of magic, unfortunately it wasn't often or consistent.

Manford said:
goatfeeder100 said:

And how many times in those 2 years was he our most influential player? No more than 5 games a season imo. How many away games did he turn up for again? Apart from Everton last season and Newcastle under Sven, i can't remember any great away performances.

How many away games did he actually play in? When you are shifted in and out of the team it is impossible to be consistent. And we as a team have been monstrously inconsistent in that period of time. Our newest hero Stevie I is just as culpable for not turning up away from home as Elano.

He is class and we will miss his invention IMO.

goatfeeder100 said:
Manford said:

How many away games did he actually play in? When you are shifted in and out of the team it is impossible to be consistent. And we as a team have been monstrously inconsistent in that period of time. Our newest hero Stevie I is just as culpable for not turning up away from home as Elano.

He is class and we will miss his invention IMO.

He's not going to get in the team ahead of Ireland, so if hes a player who needs to consistantly start, in order to be consistant, was there any point in us keeping him?

Completely agree that he is a very talented player, but lets just see what he goes on to achieve at Galatasaray. I'm quite sceptical as to whether Elano will ever be consistant and shine on a more regular basis.

Hughes made the right descision IMO.

Marvin said:
I wonder how many of his big fans watch City week after week?

He produced some great moments which got captured on TV, but in between he did not perform. On several occasions we played a weakened team with Elano in the middle, and the whole team was set up for him, but he was completely unable to take control of the game

Vastly over-rated by City fans.

He's one of those players who looks good when you're 2-0 up and have plenty of the ball, but if it's a tight game away from home, he's a waste of space.

Not sure if it's an attitude problem, or he's just not good enough. Whatever the reason he did not produce consistently which is why he's moving on.

Just as l was starting to despair after wading through a load of emotive dross, up popped this gem, written by someone who obviously knows his football.

Elano is too one paced and easily caught in possession and shrugged off the ball ,thus the entire team has to funnel back and try to retrieve it. Passing is his strength ,and if given time and space he is dangerous, but once closed down quickly or man-marked he disappears....even Sheff Utd sussed this.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.