Elano Gone [Merged]

der-bomber said:
Marvin said:
I wonder how many of his big fans watch City week after week?

He produced some great moments which got captured on TV, but in between he did not perform. On several occasions we played a weakened team with Elano in the middle, and the whole team was set up for him, but he was completely unable to take control of the game

Vastly over-rated by City fans.

He's one of those players who looks good when you're 2-0 up and have plenty of the ball, but if it's a tight game away from home, he's a waste of space.

Not sure if it's an attitude problem, or he's just not good enough. Whatever the reason he did not produce consistently which is why he's moving on.

Just as l was starting to despair after wading through a load of emotive dross, up popped this gem, written by someone who obviously knows his football.

Elano is too one paced and easily caught in possession and shrugged off the ball ,thus the entire team has to funnel back and try to retrieve it. Passing is his strength ,and if given time and space he is dangerous, but once closed down quickly or man-marked he disappears....even Sheff Utd sussed this.

Completely agree 100%

der-bomber said:
Marvin said:
I wonder how many of his big fans watch City week after week?

He produced some great moments which got captured on TV, but in between he did not perform. On several occasions we played a weakened team with Elano in the middle, and the whole team was set up for him, but he was completely unable to take control of the game

Vastly over-rated by City fans.

He's one of those players who looks good when you're 2-0 up and have plenty of the ball, but if it's a tight game away from home, he's a waste of space.

Not sure if it's an attitude problem, or he's just not good enough. Whatever the reason he did not produce consistently which is why he's moving on.

Just as l was starting to despair after wading through a load of emotive dross, up popped this gem, written by someone who obviously knows his football.

Elano is too one paced and easily caught in possession and shrugged off the ball ,thus the entire team has to funnel back and try to retrieve it. Passing is his strength ,and if given time and space he is dangerous, but once closed down quickly or man-marked he disappears....even Sheff Utd sussed this.

Spot on.

At his best he was quality and I think he's the biggest name to leave the club since we got the money.

As a penalty taker he was worth his weight in gold and I hope his departure dosen't affect Robinho adversly.

TheMightyQuinn said:
This is like when Ronaldo left the shit and suddenly he was 'wank anyway'.

He was a class act on his day

It's nothing like the tranny thing, cos the tranny was shit hot for the rags. Elano has been way under par for a long time and people have been quesitoning his input to the team for a while, most of his City career in fact (unlike the tranny).

No doubt he was brilliant on his day, but do you judge him on the rare 'on' days he had, or over the 2 year period on a whole that he was here?

Luckily quite a few people seem to be talking sense in this thread and it's just those with issues against Hughes or who are still creaming their pants over a handful of games that have got it all wrong.

vincent said:
der-bomber said:

Spot on.

How can ou be consistent if you're playing well and then removed from the team for no reason? Scored 3 in the first games of last season and was dropped. How do you explain that? How do you explain his performance against Hamburg when he was absolutely outstanding when we were in dire straits? The performance against Villa when we were on a shit run and he bossed the game as we totally dominated them? The performance he put in away against Everton? These are just off the top of my head, but I cannot believe that you people don't appreciate what he brought to us.

Add to all that, we have been in a massive transition the whole time that he was with us, which can't have been the most settling of scenarios for him.

I actually don't think his departure will affect our drive for success that much, but just as an individual talent I am going to miss watching him massively, because he plays with such a casual ease that is a joy to watch.

goatfeeder100 said:
How can ou be consistent if you're playing well and then removed from the team for no reason? Scored 3 in the first games of last season and was dropped. How do you explain that? How do you explain his performance against Hamburg when he was absolutely outstanding when we were in dire straits? The performance against Villa when we were on a shit run and he bossed the game as we totally dominated them? The performance he put in away against Everton? These are just off the top of my head, but I cannot believe that you people don't appreciate what he brought to us.

Add to all that, we have been in a massive transition the whole time that he was with us, which can't have been the most settling of scenarios for him.

I actually don't think his departure will affect our drive for success that much, but just as an individual talent I am going to miss watching him massively, because he plays with such a casual ease that is a joy to watch.

You have just mentioned ALL his good games ,which speaks for itself, as he made 80 appearances.

Look, we are trying to crack the top 4 and go on to win silverware, something we can't hope to achieve by playing with 10 men on occasions, he was simply a lightweight luxury player, who too often failed to perform.

der-bomber said:
goatfeeder100 said:

You have just mentioned ALL his good games ,which speaks for itself, as he made 80 appearances.

Look, we are trying to crack the top 4 and go on to win silverware, something we can't hope to achieve by playing with 10 men on occasions, he was simply a lightweight luxury player, who too often failed to perform.

I don't think they were all the good games he played for us at all.

You could level the inconsistency at pretty much every player last year.

WE can't hope to win silverware by getting rid of the players who are capable of unpredictable brilliance when you have run out of ideas. If we become strong, efficient but predictable then we won't progress much beyond what Everton have achieved (they are the best example I can think of). Obviously time will tell but my firm belief at the moment is that it is a mistake to let a player of his qualities unmatched by anyone else in our squad, leave.

goatfeeder100 said:

WE can't hope to win silverware by getting rid of the players who are capable of unpredictable brilliance when you have run out of ideas. If we become strong, efficient but predictable then we won't progress much beyond what Everton have achieved (they are the best example I can think of). Obviously time will tell but my firm belief at the moment is that it is a mistake to let a player of his qualities unmatched by anyone else in our squad, leave.

You make it sound like he was a dazzling winger or something who took on defences and bamboozled them.

He had no pace ,no 'trick' and could not beat a man or go past him.

He delivered the odd killer pass when space opened up against lesser teams who were chasing the game.

der-bomber said:
goatfeeder100 said:

You make it sound like he was a dazzling winger or something who took on defences and bamboozled them.

He had no pace ,no 'trick' and could not beat a man or go past him.

He delivered the odd killer pass when space opened up against lesser teams who were chasing the game.

Most of our attacking threat started with him, and allowed Robi and Ireland to bomb forwar and go wherever they wanted. He was far more disciplined than you give him credit for.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.