Elano on way out?

There was a link on the main board, it was posted in the last couple of days. Do a search on gold in the title.

Elano has 496 pass attempts, 400 successful.

moomba said:
There was a link on the main board, it was posted in the last couple of days. Do a search on gold in the title.

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. You can prove anything with statistics, 89% of people know that. ;-)

Elano has a high percentage pass rate, but just by plain watching the game you can see he makes the wrong decision a lot at the moment. He's trying too hard to dictate play. I don't know whether he feels he has to because he has Robbie to live up to now.

Elano is immensley gifted. Something not right in his temporament at the minute though. I like him, but sad to say he wouldn't be the biggest loss in the world if he went.

Elano's on borrowed time... We all know it, some don't like it, but it seems true!

He's under-performing, badly, and is currently below SWP, Superman, Robinho AND Vassell in the pecking order for attacking midfielders. If you think he'll have more chance after January you're just deluded... IF he's still even at the club then.

I personally don't have a strong opinion either way, but if he stays he needs to pull his finger out, sharpish!

Q: How many times has he completed 90 minutes since he signed...?

Kinkys Blue Socks said:
moomba said:

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. You can prove anything with statistics, 89% of people know that. ;-)

Elano has a high percentage pass rate, but just by plain watching the game you can see he makes the wrong decision a lot at the moment. He's trying too hard to dictate play. I don't know whether he feels he has to because he has Robbie to live up to now.

Elano is immensley gifted. Something not right in his temporament at the minute though. I like him, but sad to say he wouldn't be the biggest loss in the world if he went.

That is exactly right and sums up the whole Elano argument. You can try coming up with statistics and claim they are facts but people can see how Elano's been playing and it's not been great

Stats can only say so much, but it's simplistic to think that stats can't give you a good indication of how a player has been performing. The biggest argument against Elanos passing to date on here has been that his ego won't allow him to go for anything other than the killer hollywood pass off that only comes off once in a blue moon.

Stats can and have proven that this isn't the case. They also prove that he attempts a pass roughly every 1.4 minutes that he plays (can't remember how many minutes so not exact), a good indicator that while his effectiveness might not be what it once was that the accusations that he's only involved in 5 minutes or so of the game are extremely harsh. The stats that he has scored 9 times in the last 12 months make a bit of a mockery that he has been useless in that period. In a lot of years in recent times that would make him our leading scorer.

Now I'm not using stats to say that Elano has been great for us in the last year, I'm not even using stats to say that he should be playing more, or that he shouldn't be sold. The only reason I am using these stats is to correct some of the myths that are being told about Elano, and to correct some of the history that has been re-written in recents weeks since he fell out with Hughes.

Elano isn't strong enough for the premiership, although he had a pretty good first season last year he has been found out this year and cannot handle the rough and tumble of the english game. I agree he is alot better than Vassell and some of the others but i'd sell him in January as we need a more physical presence in the middle of the park.

moomba said:
Stats can only say so much, but it's simplistic to think that stats can't give you a good indication of how a player has been performing. The biggest argument against Elanos passing to date on here has been that his ego won't allow him to go for anything other than the killer hollywood pass off that only comes off once in a blue moon.

Stats can and have proven that this isn't the case. They also prove that he attempts a pass roughly every 1.4 minutes that he plays (can't remember how many minutes so not exact), a good indicator that while his effectiveness might not be what it once was that the accusations that he's only involved in 5 minutes or so of the game are extremely harsh. The stats that he has scored 9 times in the last 12 months make a bit of a mockery that he has been useless in that period. In a lot of years in recent times that would make him our leading scorer.

How many from open play? Hardly makes a mockery at all

We're going round in circles here

IF we had a better "other" central midfielder in the side - Jonno fit or for example Diarra - i think that Elano would have got a better attempt at playing the front player of the midfield 3. This is the only position imo that he would prosper, he is not a defensive midfielder - hughes tried that one - but unfortunately for him Superman has played well in that role.

It is a shame that we will probably not see the magic we saw from those first few games last season however for me, we will sign someone of the calibre of Kaka to fulfil the attacking midfielder role soon enough.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.